Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I had a knee surgery about two months ago and about 2 days after the surgery I lost my sense of taste. (doctors don't have any idea why!) I lost my sense of taste a couple of knee surgeries ago two, but for only for about a week. NOW I have been told that this could also happen during the VSG surgery too. Thoughts? has this happened to anyone else??? I should be on schedule for VSG, late Aug or early Sept, I am almost finished with my 6 month supervised diet. the 30th of June I finish up month 5.

Edited by ojibway

Same for me. My personal opinion is that it's because of anesthesia and post-op meds. With bariatric surgery, loss of taste is to your advantage. It helped me to discover new healthier foods, especially since I was learning to eat without the filter of grease, salt and sugar. I learned what real food tastes like. Real food - those are foods that you can dig, pick, and chase. All that other stuff in packages at the grocery store is what I call "factory edibles".

I've heard of that happening. Is it due to the anesthesia? or being intubated?

After WLS, my tastes have drastically changed and flattened, but didn't disappear completely.

Please let us know when you find out why this happens.

Prayers going up...

Miss Mac, I cannot taste anything. so I guess it is an advantage! hahaha. I can smell everything I eat but NO taste whatsoever! It is very strange.

This sounds Horrible!!! poor thing....I mean, if I eat a carrot, I want to taste a frickin carrot!!!!

Maybe it is your bodies way of responding to the trauma of the surgery since its not like our bodies are cut on a regular basis. Hopefully you will get that sense back soon!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• BeanitoDiego

I changed my profile image to a molecule of protein. Why? Because I am certain that it saved my life.
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • eclarke

Two years out. Lost 120 , regained 5 lbs. Recently has a bout of Norovirus, lost 7 pounds in two days. Now my stomach feels like it did right after my surgery. Sore, sensitive to even water.  Anyone out there have a similar experience?
      · 0 replies
    • Eve411

April Surgery
      Am I the only struggling to get weight down. I started with weight of 297 and now im 280 but seem to not lose more weight. My nutrtionist told me not to worry about the pounds because I might still be losing inches. However, I do not really see much of a difference is this happen to any of you, if so any tips?
      Thanks
      · 0 replies
    • Clueless_girl

Well recovering from gallbladder removal was a lot like recovering from the modified duodenal switch surgery, twice in 4 months yay 🥳😭. I'm having to battle cravings for everything i shouldn't have, on top of trying to figure out what happens after i eat something. Sigh, let me fast forward a couple of months when everyday isn't a constant battle and i can function like a normal person again! 😞
      · 0 replies
    • KeeWee

It's been 10 long years! Here is my VSG weight loss surgiversary update..
      https://www.ae1bmerchme.com/post/10-year-surgiversary-update-for-2024 
      · 0 replies
  • Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches