Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How many days off from work post-op?

I'm curious, how many days off from work did your doctor recommend you take off for recovery? When did you feel ready to return to work?

I know that it'll be different for different people and for different jobs, and it also depends on what the doc says. Mine is kind of vague as of now, only saying I could be off anywhere between 2-8 weeks.

they filled out my FMLA for 4 weeks, just in case - but I went back after a week and did part time days, a 6 hour shift for the rest of that first month.

This allowed me to work some (no vacation time left) but also to go home and rest, walk, focus on fluids.

they filled out my FMLA for 4 weeks, just in case - but I went back after a week and did part time days, a 6 hour shift for the rest of that first month.

This allowed me to work some (no vacation time left) but also to go home and rest, walk, focus on fluids.

Unfortunately, I don't qualify for FMLA, I haven't been at my job for a year and by the time I my tentative surgery will happen (end of aug, beginning of sept) I will be one month shy from my one year mark. I'll have to use PTO but I don't nearly have enough time, maybe 40 hrs now. By the end of august I'll maybe have another week and a half saved up...I'm worried I won't have enough time to take off to rest up

Mine said 1 week, but Iam taking about 11days

Sent from my HTC Desire 816G dual sim using the BariatricPal App

That's what I was thinking I will do, maybe 10 days. I'm aiming for labor day weekend also so that there's an extra "cushion" day, so to speak, where my whole department will off.

Mine said 1 week but I started back from home part time after 3 days. (All my work is done online). Went back to the office at 1 week and stayed 9 hours. Mistake. Missed the next day. Was fine for full time at 2 weeks.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I took two full weeks, and felt like I needed every day. I slept A LOT after surgery! But after those two weeks, I've felt fine ever since. Good luck!

My surgery is scheduled for 6/16. I am hoping to only take a few days off although my surgeon recommends 6 weeks. Iam trying to avoid going thru the turmoil to get FMLA....its there for me to take but I went through it 2 yrs ago with my baby. I work at a desk all day and its mostly on computer. That makes me fill a bit better but we'll see how goes.

I had surgery on 5/29/15. I was out 6 weeks due to fatigue.

I was lucky and was able to take 4 full weeks off. However, I feel that I could have gone back at two weeks if I had to. It really all depends on how well your body adjusts to the changes.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App