Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Gained 10 pounds in 6 months

Hi. I lost 125lbs I was sleeved on September 4th 2014. I never gained weight until now I track every calorie. I did go from eating 1200 to about 1600-1800 calories but would that explain the weight gain? I don't over eat at all o focus hard to make sure I don't over eat. I'm lost and scared I'm screwing up. Any help would be appreciated

I'm certainly no expert but if you went from 1200 cal to 1600-1800 cal and gained weight then maybe that WOULD explain the gain...

I'm no doctor or anything but the addition of calories and the weight gain seem to be linked,...

Perhaps a trip to the nutritionist might be in order...

Good luck mate...

With the limited information you provided, would say yes, the increased calories has led to weight gain. The further we are out from surgery, it seems it becomes easier to gain, too. Medications can also cause weight gain, but since you didn't mention that, I'm assuming that's not it.

Try decreasing back to 1200 to lose the weight, then gradually increase to see how many calories you can eat to maintain your desired weight. The other factor is activity. Try increasing activity and see what sort of impact that has, too.

One last thing, I agree, it is very alarming to watch the pounds pile on when there has been a slight change (or even none) in your diet. I always say there is a reason I was so obese, and it has to do with a body that wanted it that way! However, we can beat this with hard work and diligence.

I'm not a doctor, but based on the limited info given, I think it's probably the extra calories. After WLS your body will never be able to handle a full calorie load without gaining weight, because the surgery itself does alter our metabolism as well. You would either need to substantially exercise more or cut back down to prevent weight gain.

I'm not a doctor, but based on the limited info given, I think it's probably the extra calories. After WLS your body will never be able to handle a full calorie load without gaining weight, because the surgery itself does alter our metabolism as well. You would either need to substantially exercise more or cut back down to prevent weight gain.

@@Sajijoma ...

I just read a study last week that contradicts the bit bolded above. Check it out:

This study was done by the same researchers who did last week's Obesity-published research that compared the metabolic rate changes between 13 of The Biggest Loser contestants vs. 13 RnY WLS patients. The WLS patients' metabolic rates dipped about half as low as TBL folks. And best of all, a year after surgery their metabolic rates came back to where they were pre-op.

http://www.ncbi.nlm....es/PMC4236233/

Admittedly, this is a single study. But it is at least directional, if not conclusive. And it's encouraging for me.

FYI, I've lost 100 pounds and maintaining at 135 pounds while averaging 1700 - 1800 calories/day. Of course, I don't know if this will continue. I plan to keep weighing and tracking my food daily to find out.

@@Sajijoma ...

I just read a study last week that contradicts the bit bolded above. Check it out:

This study was done by the same researchers who did last week's Obesity-published research that compared the metabolic rate changes between 13 of The Biggest Loser contestants vs. 13 RnY WLS patients. The WLS patients' metabolic rates dipped about half as low as TBL folks. And best of all, a year after surgery their metabolic rates came back to where they were pre-op.

Admittedly, this is a single study. But it is at least directional, if not conclusive. And it's encouraging for me.

FYI, I've lost 100 pounds and maintaining at 135 pounds while averaging 1700 - 1800 calories/day. Of course, I don't know if this will continue. I plan to keep weighing and tracking my food daily to find out.

I did see that study, but I'm just going on what my NUT told me. That if we ever went back to trying to eat 1700-1900 cal/day as is commonly thought to be the amount for an adult not losing weight and exercising regularly that we would gain all the weight back. It is interesting. I'd like to believe the study. My NUT's advice and suggestions seem to be getting me in more trouble than helping these days.

@@Sajijoma

With all due respect, I find that most NUT's have no idea what they are talking about.

Are NUTs well educated about bariatric surgery? It's a worthy question to ask and to consider.

Every once in a while I wander over to http://www.todaysdietitian.com/current_issue.shtml , "The Magazine for Nutrition Professionals" just to see what they're saying to each other about bariatric surgery.

http://www.todaysdietitian.com/

And what they're saying pretty much sucks. The articles about bariatric surgery (when there are any, which is rare) are extremely superficial, cite old research, and pretty much read like Reader's Digest Lite. The advice the magazine recommends that nutritionists offer to post-op bariatric patients include jewels like these: Vitamin and mineral supplementation may be necessary; it's important to take personal responsibility for one's health; and (my favorite) reduce intake of high-calorie Desserts.

Seriously?! Seriously?!

Is it any wonder that bariatric patients -- or for that matter, anyone seeking useful, specific dietary and nutritional recommendations for weight loss and weight maintenance post-op -- could have any respect for these lightweights?

BTW, I didn't choose the word "lightweights" as a joke. It turns out that one of the raging professional debates within the nutritionist world is whether or not a registered dietitian should offer her services as a consultant to patients if she herself is overweight. I f**king kid you not. You can read all about it here: http://www.todaysdietitian.com/newarchives/050114p32.shtml What some of these "professionals" think about overweight people in their own profession will blow your mind.

@@anthonyb

It also depends on what you are eating. If you go from 1200 low carb calories to 1600-1800 carby calories, you are going to gain weight, just because your liver is going to be larger. Are you drinking alcohol? Did you exercise and stop? Are you going through a stressful time in your life? There are so many factors to weight gain.

I was sleeved 5 years ago & gained back pounds recently. My lowest was 173, but was 203 in Feb 2016. I was scared & having nightmares about getting back up to 300 pounds again. I was eating the same stuff I always did. meat & potato guy. Then the wife got sicker. ( Her health had been failing slowly for a few years. )

Look for my story on this site. We watched Fork over Knives & other documentaries about food. We learned how to eat for our health, not for weight. Since Feb, I am down to 160. I am wearing 32 inch waist pants. ( Been forty years ). My wife's health has recovered 99%. I have her back. I tear up thinking about how close I came to losing her. You can do this. When you eat for your health you do not have to count calories. You can eat as much & often as you like. I wish you the best.

Just read this: http://www.todaysdietitian.com/newarchives/0416p30.shtml

Edited by Papa Jack