Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

*Expanding Horizons*

Life Expansion Chair--expand the horizons of your team mates...suggest web sites, books, vacation spots, magazines, TV shows.....
suggested by JudiM

AUGUST 'CRAZY ATES'

**FIRST TOPIC: Suggested books to read**

You may choose to (of course, you may?!) ignore or subscribe to this thread. I am going to toss an idea up or suggest a "food for thought" (so to speak, excuse the obvious pun) subject, or etc. Supposedly, this will be thought provoking, interesting or just something you have NEVER thought about before OR maybe, it will be a subject that you may like to research and share with all.

pjanes54: I'll start:

My suggested read is a book I just finished. I would lend it out but I am reading and re-reading it and I have asked my hubby to read it as well, so he can expand his understanding in regard to the BAND.

I HIGHLY RECOMMEND THIS BOOK:Laparoscopic Adjustable Gastric Banding: Achieving Permanent Weight Loss with Minimally Invasive Surgery

Jessie H. Ahroni Ph.D. A. R. N. P.

Good thread! Thank you for taking this one on. I'll have to get that book.

I expanded my horizon by accident and thought I'd share. I needed something to read and the only thing the store had was last month's Fitness magazine for $1. I usually hate that skinny mini crap and figured I'd hate it. I was very surprised to find that I liked it A LOT! It had beginners tips, inspiring stories, ads for healthy new foods, and it made me feel hopeful about my life and future. I ended up buying the next two issues and am going to subscribe to it. :lol:

Jessi Ahroni is a nurse practioner in diabetes education that recieved her band in 1998. She currently works in the wls field as a result of her experiences. It was interesting to read her personal story, in particular what motivated her to seek the band. We all have our stories to tell, but it still surprises me that there are so many similarities that we, as obese men and women, share. We should all write books and get rich. Shall we? Nah, probably not.

Journaling, though may be something that might prove helpful.

--one last thing about Dr Ahroni's book was that my doc and the bariatric clinic that he heads follow that regiment almost to a tee. That was reassuring to me.

Band Chick: it's so cool to trip and fall into a surprise. we have to stay open...but, really, Fitness? good for you! :wacko: Me :faint:maybe in a year or two, maybe:)

justplainme: it is a quick read, but, jam-packed with terrific band advice.

Hi....Each day is an improvement. But, I MAY have overdid it last night....went grocery shopping at our huge market, went to the huge mega bookstore and then watered my flowers. I ache everywhere! But, I got exercise!

Last night I bought a Cookbook.....looks good so far. But, considering I am doing Clear liquids (only days out), I don't want to be tempted toooo much!

Eating Well After Weight Loss Surgery

Patty Levine & Michele Bontempo-Saray

While I was at the bookstore, I learned that there a WLS Lifestyles Magazine. So, I want to get a subscription. You can only get them online from what I hear.

Also, there are several books dealing directly with WLS. Alot of them walk you thru all the stages....from making the decision to after.

Thanks so much for taking this on!!!! Love it!!!

I got the book Eating Well After WLS by Patty Levine and Michelle Bontempo-Saray also. I really like, it has some great recipes, tasty and easy to make.

I also got Before and After by Susan Maria Leach from the bariatriceating.com website. It has a WL journal and great recipes also.

I did not know about the magazine, will have to check that out.

I have Jessi Ahroni's book. I think it is quite informative--but I mostly purchased it because it is published through iUniverse--a self-publishing company. This woman did all the work to get her book published, herself. From writing, editing, promoting to warehousing. Self-publishing is a hard road and I support the independent authors of the world! Some of the most well-written books I've read have been from the realm of "self-publishing." Such as "The Christmas Box," and "The Wizard of Oz."

Support small press authors!

Whoo...off my soap-box now. That was good exercise, that climbing up and climbing down... :confused:

Darr

While I was at the bookstore, I learned that there a WLS Lifestyles Magazine. So, I want to get a subscription. You can only get them online from what I hear.

If you get a link for that, please share it here. ;)

If you get a link for that, please share it here. ;)

oops-I thought I had provided the link but.... here is the link for real :lol:

Real Living Nutrition

Excellent information regarding our emotions and our eating habits and behaviors; mind/body connections.

Thanks NanaRenan

post-220490-13813135396482_thumb.gif

Hi All,

I found a wonderful book at the libarary, read it, and went out and bought a copy. It is "Weight Loss Surgery- Is It Right For You?" by Merle Cantor Goldberg, George Cowan Jr. and William Marcus. This is a great book for any one considering WLS, but it also takes you every step of the way, through 6 months after surgery and beyond. There is even a chapter for your support person to read. I highly reccomend this book!

Hi All,

I found a wonderful book at the libarary, read it, and went out and bought a copy. It is "Weight Loss Surgery- Is It Right For You?" by Merle Cantor Goldberg, George Cowan Jr. and William Marcus. This is a great book for any one considering WLS, but it also takes you every step of the way, through 6 months after surgery and beyond. There is even a chapter for your support person to read. I highly reccomend this book!

Thank you for the recommendation. I'm putting it on my "must read" list! Thanks kathyc02

post-220490-13813135396557_thumb.gif

LINK: for emotional aspects of eating. covers wide range.

Welcome to emotional eating

ANOTHER LINK: for practical nutrition info. recommended by experienced bandsters, so it has to be good!

Real Living Nutrition

Ah, I'm making this up as I go...so, I'm thinking about making RESOURCES list with sub sections for books, one for magazines, one for online websites, etc. so please post any suggestions here and I will start to compile them so we have one thread to visit when we want to know the name of a cookbook, or magazine, or website.

post-220490-13813135427891_thumb.gif