Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sleeve Surgery Booked 26/5

Hello everyone

I am booked for sleeve on 26/5. I had initially opted for bypass but decided the sleeve was a better option for me.

So many questions:

Pre op tips?

What to expect for days after op?

What should I have organised at home?

How to manage with three kids under 5?

Pain rating?

Malnutrition?

Excess skin?

Alcohol? Not that I do this anymore with kids but wine, can you still have it?

Exercise? Can I still do weight training?

Energy levels?

How has your experience been?

I am really nervous. I want to be prepared pre n post.

Really worry about energy levels for my kids etc

Help....

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Pre op tips?

Follow your surgeon's instructions for any pre-op diet. If you have one, it will likely suck, but remember it's only temporary! Also, you will likely have moments of panic and anxiousness leading up to your surgery date. Have faith that you made the decision to have surgery while you were being logical and rational. Don't let your emotions get the best of you.

What to expect for days after op?

You will be uncomfortable at the very least, if not in real pain. It might be hard for you to get your Water in (if the internal swelling is bad), but it's incredibly important to stay hydrated. Just take tiny sips and try to get in an ounce of Water every 15 minutes you are awake. You'll likely want to nap a fair amount. It's VERY important to get up and walk a little every hour or two. Even if it's just marching in place. The moving will help you avoid blood clots and it can also help with gas pain. Also, don't be surprised if you are moody and emotional and crying a lot. That's very very normal.

What should I have organised at home?

Whatever "food" you will need for the first couple of days. If you are on Clear liquids, you will want broth, sugar-free Jello, and sugar-free popsicles. You should be able to go shopping within a few days, so you won't need to stock up for your later food stages just yet. Shopping is a good way to get some walking in. Just make sure you don't try to lift more than a gallon at a time.

How to manage with three kids under 5?

Prayer? Seriously though, if you have friends or family members who can help wrangle the kids, you need to get them on board. Don't try to manage that yourself in the first couple of days!

Pain rating?

Seems to vary drastically. I didn't have any real pain, except gas pain. Some people seem to have a LOT of pain associated with their ab muscles and incisions. I didn't have any of that.

Malnutrition?

As long as you start working on getting your Protein in towards the end of the first week post op and follow all of your surgeon and nutritionist's recommendations for Protein and Vitamins, you shouldn't have to worry. Dehydration is a much more immediate risk in the early days post-op. Sip, sip, sip!

Excess skin?

Not something you should be worrying about this early on. If you have more than 100 pounds to lose, you will likely have some excess skin. What you feel you need to do about it is up to you. There are a handful of things you can do that *might* help some, but it mostly comes down to things like age and genetics. Stay well hydrated, take your Vitamins, moisturize daily, and do some strength training once you are cleared for it.

Alcohol? Not that I do this anymore with kids but wine, can you still have it?

I was cleared for alcohol at 3 months post-op. Some surgeons recommend never having alcohol again, because of the risk of addiction transference (WLS patients are more prone to alcoholism). Just know that if/when you do drink alcohol again, it will likely be very different than pre-op. In my case, I get DRUNK off a tiny amount of alcohol, but then sober up super quickly.

Exercise? Can I still do weight training?

Once you are cleared for it by your surgeon. I was cleared at 2 months post-op. Some surgeons clear for it sooner. You will definitely at least have some sort of lifting restriction for the first couple of weeks post-op.

Energy levels?

Mine were VERY VERY low for the first several weeks post-op, until I was back on solid foods and could get more calories in. The fatigue was a real issue for me. I was napping a lot while I was off of work. When I returned to work at 15 days post-op, I really struggled to last through the day. I ended up going straight to bed after work in those early days. Once I was cleared for solid foods at 40 days post-op and was able to eat more, my energy level got back to normal.

How has your experience been?

I'm 20 months post-op now and I consider my sleeve to be one of the best decisions I ever made! It was hard, especially in the first couple of months, but now I am completely adapted to it I reached my goal weight right around the 1 year mark. I've been maintaining below goal for 8 months now. I ran my first half marathon a little over a week ago. Life is amazing!

Thanks so much for responding Jamielogical. I will keep this information by my side. Cheers legend

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Glad to help! Feel free to post or PM me with any more questions. Good luck with your surgery!