Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Feeling odd eating at restaurants

Does anyone else has a feeling that it will be odd going out with your family to eat at restaurants? Because I still feel sick when I eat even if I eat the right way and it stills hurts. So I feel odd going to a restaurant to eat and I am six weeks out.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

it sounds like it might be too soon for you to go out. although this could be a mind matter over body. Only you would know that. When I go out, i seek out great restaurants. I find if I need any modifications they are more than happy to do that. you are in control, that has to make you feel better. Try not to over-analyze it and just enjoy the company and experience.

You figure it out in time. Start with family restaurants where you can just order a cup of Soup or one scrambled egg (yep, I've done that).

@@loyalty_queen - do you feel odd, as in out of place, because you are not eating a lot?

Or do you feel odd because you physically feel sick?

My DH likes to eat out, a lot. So we order and ask for an additional plate. Most restaurants are ok with that unless of course it is a buffet. I did go to a buffet (Golden Corral) a couple of weeks post-op and it was senseless for me to go. It was for Breakfast and I literally felt sick smelling all of the food, esp the sweet sugary type foods.

Order a cup of Soup or a small appetizer and enjoy the company/conversation and move "food" to the fuel for your body mindset.

I haven't had surgery yet but I've thought alot about this because my BF and I usually go out at least once a week (and enjoy it). I hope at 6 weeks post-op I'm able to go out. I look at the menus now and see what I could order when the time comes -/that may be just a cup of Soup for a while.

If you're still getting sick at 6 weeks - I'd check in with my surgeon.

I celebrated my wife's birthday last night at a nice steak house and ordered Soup and mashed potatoes. I couldn't eat much but we still enjoyed our night! They even gave her a big fudge brownie but I was fine and satisfied.

Craig Martinez

Austin, Texas

I was in a tough spot post procedure. since I had mine done last November, December work team luncheons and dinners popped up. Although there were at restaurants, I ordered a full bowl of Soup whatever they had that I thought would be easy to keep down and sipped that.

Also hopefully you still have some anti nausea pills, if so pop one 30min before leaving for dinner.. it will help.

sorry duplicate post :)

Edited by MojoCAMI

I'm coming up on 5 wks post op and I have been to a few restaurants since then. I always look ahead at the menu or it's our favorite Mexican restaurant. For my birthday two weeks ago, we went to PF Chang's and I had some egg drop Soup and the guts of a crab wonton. The soup was soooo good, I was full and satisfied and had no desire for the Great Wall of chocolate my son always orders. The true test was yesterday, my daughter and her BF work at his family's restaurant and they stopped by bringing homemade Reese's Peanut Butter pie, previously I wasn't really a sweets person, but I would claw someone's eyes out for a Reese's! Had zero desire, that is such a foreign feeling! Another tip for restaurants is that I always ask for ice Water in a to-go cup when they ask for drink orders and start sipping on it 30 mins after I'm finished. I'm going to have to fess up to our guys at the Mexican restaurant, they're always hovering and looking at my meal wondering why I'm not really eating it. I think they wonder if something is wrong with it. I never eat the tortilla or chips, just the Protein (meat, Beans, and cheese) and save the rest reheating the Beans and cheese for subsequent meals. I am now inclined to just pick off my husband's plate from this point forward, it truly is a waste of money and food to order your own entree.

I haven't gone out too much to eat, but I don't feel odd doing so.

A couple of servers seemed puzzled when I don't want anything to drink including when they offered a glass of Water.

I once had a manager ask if the food was ok, because they saw I pushed the plate away with only half of it eaten because they thought I didn't like how it was prepared. I should have written to the restaurant chain; that was very observant and great manager skills.

I've been a bit apprehensive about not just reastaurants, but business meals where lunch is included in a meeting and I never know what the choices will be.

This week I had two business lunches to deal with, plus a dinner at friend's home. I found that it's a lot harder to judge how much is "enough" when I'm not measuring out my portions in advance as I have been doing. But I did well enough with that yesterday at lunch (found choices that would work, ate just enough to be comfortable) that we went out to dinner last night.

I told the server up front that I eat teeny little portions. I asked that she skip the soup/salad for me, which she was happy to do. I ordered fish, and I ate abut half the fish, one bite of the baked potato (I'm still trying new foods on my sleeve), and two green Beans.

They were happy to pack up the rest of the meal for me. Huz will eat the baked potato, and I've got salmon and green Beans for tonight. Sweet!

I've been a bit apprehensive about not just reastaurants, but business meals where lunch is included in a meeting and I never know what the choices will be.

This week I had two business lunches to deal with, plus a dinner at friend's home. I found that it's a lot harder to judge how much is "enough" when I'm not measuring out my portions in advance as I have been doing. But I did well enough with that yesterday at lunch (found choices that would work, ate just enough to be comfortable) that we went out to dinner last night.

I told the server up front that I eat teeny little portions. I asked that she skip the soup/salad for me, which she was happy to do. I ordered fish, and I ate abut half the fish, one bite of the baked potato (I'm still trying new foods on my sleeve), and two green Beans.

They were happy to pack up the rest of the meal for me. Huz will eat the baked potato, and I've got salmon and green Beans for tonight. Sweet!

That's always the best part...leftovers for days!

Yeah, it's hard when you get sick. I found it fairly easy early out because like a lot of others, I stuck with Soup if all else failed.

Now at almost 21 months out, I feel like an almost normal diner now. I can eat anything, but always need a doggy bag unless hubby and I split the meal.

I'll ask for them to pack my Soup up to go, right from the start. Lunch tomorrow!

​A lot of restaurants will allow you to use the child's menu(not much healthy on there, but a few things) if you ask them in advance and let them know it's medically necessary. I did that at Applebees and the staff was wonderful! Like others have said, take home the "normal size" portion you did not eat for the next meal!!!

I usually don't eat my entire meal now (pre-surgery) and either take it home or give it to my BF. There's alot of restaurants that have a "light menu" option. The portions are usually smaller. The issue I think I will find difficult is not having anything to drink (water) with my meal.