Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Shortie Porties--Banders that are short!

I thought I was 5'but it turns out I'm 5' 1". I'm not sure how that happened. I'm actually rather annoyed about it because that extra inch doesn't give me any advantages when it come to buying clothes or trying to reach stuff on the top shelf, but it makes my BMI lower and now I worry about not qualifying for the lap band! :rolleyes:

I hate Lane Bryant, except their bras. They think all fat people are Amazons. They are starting to have more variety in their jeans but they still have no clue about how to flatter a shorter body. I bought two pair of pants there, one I tried on and one I thought was just the same style so I didn't try it on. I got it home and it was actually a style called "wide leg". I tried on the pants and the bottoms of the legs were AS WIDE AS MY HIPS. I looked ridiculous. Who in their right mind would design such a thing?!

Hi I am 5'1". Like several of you I alos like 3/4 inch sleves. I hate petit length pants they are too short. Who are these pants made for? I don't like my pants around my ankles, but the regular length are 4-5 inches too long.

Maybe my weight has just made them too short. We will see.

i'm shortie too, i'm only 5'2" and currently 209.

talk about pants problems, most petites are too long on me. my inseam is 26 1/2 inches!!!

i have found that jms pants fit well in length and are pretty durable, then i find great work pants occasionally at Walmart, other than that, i have to hem them. 3/4 length sleeves are perfect for me, they come to my wrist, and if i get a regular long sleeve shirt, i roll up the cuffs.

i wear long skirts with seperate shirts, they look good..other than that, solid pants and printed tops. i have very large thighs, but a smaller waist.

i'm an 18 now..maybe i 16..can't wait to be a 6. i would like to weigh about 130.

I am 5'1.5(the nutrionist found that .5)lmao, I wasnt to happy with her but it didnt hurt my BMI to much.

I have always hated shopping because all of my friends are stick women. When it was time to go in Lane Bryant for me they could never understand the reason everything has a damn pattern?? I would only buy the dark solid shirts and pants. But now, now i cant wait to go buy a bright color this summer and not look like a parade float, lol

Good luck everyone

I think my inseam is about 26.5 also, it kind of depends on the cut of the pants and how they hang at the hip. Inseam length is different if you are shortwaisted as you'll have longer legs, that might be you short1.

The point of wider leg pants is that they are supposed to balance wider hips, but when your short, it's tricky because they sort of swallow our short bodies. I generally look for slim leg pants ( Sorry Stacy, from "What not to wear") ( TV show)( she doesn;t advise that) but I am larger around the middle so if I buy pants that fit the belly/hip some of them have huge legs that just seem so large.

I do find there are more choices and catalogs are labeling the different "fits" low rise, wide leg, slim leg etc.

The Talbots pants I just bought are slim leg, ankle length pants. They were $98, so I plan to wear them until they don't stay up and I plan to wear them often until then (they're black) with different shirts because I'll never have a chance to wear them out either!

And another thing I forgot, is what manufacturer decided that women with fat thighs and butts want big pockets on the legs ( carpenter pants) or big pockets on the butt? Hello, those places are big enough thank you. I guess if you are large but built like an apple with skinny legs, those work, but for "pears" ... ugh!

Those are the two types of plus sizes they should make. Like garanimals for kids. Clothes for apples and clothes for pears. And what's with the LARGE floral prints. We are short! They overwhelm our tiny, fat (oxymoron) bodies!

I am so happy that crying while looking for a new outfit is over.

Hi - I am new to the board and am in the process of getting approved to get banded.

I am very concerned about the placement of the port because I am so short. I am only 5'1" and I have a very short torso (but long legs, go figure..). I also have a very large chest. I am a 36F so I HAVE to wear an underwire bra or I look like a freak and I bounce around.

I am so concerned on where they will put my port. Where do you have yall's ports and do you have any suggestions?

Thanks

J

Hi - I am new to the board and am in the process of getting approved to get banded.

I am very concerned about the placement of the port because I am so short. I am only 5'1" and I have a very short torso (but long legs, go figure..). I also have a very large chest. I am a 36F so I HAVE to wear an underwire bra or I look like a freak and I bounce around.

I am so concerned on where they will put my port. Where do you have yall's ports and do you have any suggestions?

Thanks

J

I'm 5 feet even. I have short legs and for my height kind of long waisted, so I do have some midriff area and my port incision is slightly right of my center midriff ( below the bra band and above the waist of pants) and the port right now ( they can move a little as we lose weight) is closer to the right end of the incision.

The port incision is the longest one I have and is about two inches long. (the others are very small 1/4 to 1/2 inch maybe and those are fading the fastest.

If you're worried, just ask the surgeon when you have your consult, you cannot be the only short, short waisted person that has had surgery. Remember they are trained surgeons and have performed appendectomys etc. on various size people.

Welocm to the forum.

4'11" here and I have to agree with everyone on the 3/4" sleeve shirts. Capris are ok in that they don't have to be hemmed, but there's always a funky tapered look to them because they're supposed to sit up higher on the calf. I have to get EVERYTHING hemmed, even when they come in short/petite.

I also love crop jackets (Gap has a new one for spring that fits perfectly) because they don't have to be tailored.

i'm a shortie too! i'm 5'2" and i used to just get higher heels to where with my pants since they were so long, but as i got older and heavier, and it seemed the pants longer, no way heels were gonna carry me.

my mom is 4'11" and she avoids the whole thing by buying mens jeans, since they are sized by waist and length, instead of some nonexistent size established by designers who are dressing models instead of real women. i am hoping with my success my mom will see she can once again be a woman and stop wearing mens pants, i know the band would be an answer to her dreams.

i don't mind being short, but hate being fat!