Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Looking for Breakfast Ideas

I am 3 weeks post-op and on soft foods. I have been cleared to eat meat as long as I chew well.

I am struggling with Breakfast. Protein Shakes are very heavy on my morning tummy and don't sit very well until the late afternoon. Also, my tummy doesn't like eggs just yet. I'm hoping that will improve as time goes on because I love eggs and egg included things like quiche, custard, and so on.

To make things more complicated I DESPISE Greek yougurt, regular yougurt, and cottage cheese.< /p>

I wondered if anyone had any non-egg or shake breakfast ideas.

Edited by melyssafaye

@@melyssafaye

I eat jimmy dean turkey sausage links for Breakfast. It might be a bit heavy.....even if you chew it well.

Its worth a shot. ;)

refried Beans and cheese? Also have you tried eggs cooked in different ways? I still have issues with scrambled, for example, but I can easily eat sunny side up.

I, too, despise yogurt of all kinds. ICK. :P

refried Beans and cheese? Also have you tried eggs cooked in different ways? I still have issues with scrambled, for example, but I can easily eat sunny side up.

I, too, despise yogurt of all kinds. ICK. :P

What about oatmeal or cream of wheat with added Protein powder? Those are both soft and breakfast food.

@@melyssafaye

I'm not trying to be the food cop here.... :o

All of our instructions about carbs in weight loss phases are different.

1/4th cup oatmeal has 150 calories... 27g carbohydrates..

labelL269401.gif

I'd go with an egg beater omelet. Cut up turkey sausage into little bits (the size of raisins) and add just enough egg to cover the bottom of the pan. Top with a shredded cheese you like (I like shredded Parmesan). Watch until there is a little light browning on the egg.

I like spicy food, so I added salt and pepper and topped it with a few drops of mild green Tabasco or salsa.

I started with 90 calorie sized omelets and today I'm up to 150.

Tastes great and really satisfies my appetite for hours.

Breakfast doesn't have to mean breakfast food. What about Soup? I love Soup at breakfast. Preop I sometimes had a salad with an egg on it and a vinaigrette.

A cheese stick might work for you - with a slice of deli meat wrapped around it?

I agree that trying different way of cooking eggs may work for you. One of my first real foods postop was a soft-boiled egg, and I swear to you, it was a little bit of heaven. My sleeve isn't in favor of the idea of scrambled, though.

This past weekend, I poached an egg in about 1/4 cup of Tomato sauce (Pasta sauce). It was amazing!

Jenn1, I agree oatmeal is high in carbs. I was just noting what is listed for soft foods phase. I actually have a recipe for a low carb oatmeal made with flax seed and a few other nut type items. If anyone is interested I will find it and post.

I have eaten low carb for the past 4-5 years so no oatmeal for me either. I do miss it.

No yogurt, cottage cheese, eggs, or Protein shakes? Hmm, that eliminates pretty much any idea I'd have for you (almost every Breakfast I do has one if not a couple of those). Hopefully your tastes develop and your stomach settles.

Look into the alternative forms of Protein. You're kind of limited with your soft stage, but even more limiting is what you don't like. Tofu is a good source or protein that is soft. Check out Paleo diets that are low carbs and high protein.

Thanks for all the great ideas.

@@Cervidae I'm so glad I'm not the only one! I can't stand even frozen yogurt. Too much yogurt taste. Greek is the worst! It smells almost as bad as it tastes. I've tried fried eggs, poached, mayo and custard all were a no go. It's frustrating because I love eggs and my baked custard recipe is high protein/low carb and yummy.

@@Cape Crooner. I'll try that. Maybe egg beaters will agree with my tummy.

@@2goldengirl I haven't tried boiled. Here's hoping!

@@Sophie74656 I've seen Protein pancakes as well but I wonder what to put on them. I can't imagine maple Syrup is allowed.

@@Cervidae I'm so glad I'm not the only one! I can't stand even frozen yogurt. Too much yogurt taste. Greek is the worst! It smells almost as bad as it tastes. I've tried fried eggs, poached, mayo and custard all were a no go. It's frustrating because I love eggs and my baked custard recipe is high protein/low carb and yummy.

@@Sophie74656 I've seen Protein pancakes as well but I wonder what to put on them. I can't imagine maple Syrup is allowed.

In my opinion a bit of syrup won't kill you

@@jenn1 I agree with @@Renkoss in regards to oatmeal. My surgeon recommended oatmeal as a healthy carb. It helps with regularity too which we all know is an issue for people post surgery. I know you weren't playing food cop, only looking out for the best interest of newer members

I do also want to say that just because it is a good carb, we should be eating it every day. I like to have oatmeal and shredded wheat about once a week for the Fiber benefit and the energy from the carbs.

Breakfast is a hard one for me too. I found an unflavored Protein powder(Designer Whey) 1 scoop of that into 1/4 cup almond milk, and 2 Tbsp. of PB2. The peanut flavored one is not sweet to me so I usually add one packet of a substitute sugar and 3 ice cubes then blend away. It's a nice change. The fact that it isn't very sweet might appeal to you in the morning.

​P.S., you can find PB2 in the healthfood section of most grocery stores, Walmart and Target.(you might already know this:-)

There are sugar free maple syrups available. I've used them for years due to diabetes. You could also use sugar free jelly.