Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Will I like the new me?!

So I've been big all my adult life.

I'm 31 and I've been with my husband 16 years and I've got a 3 year old son.

I'm happy in my life except my weight obviously.

I can't do a lot that I want to do due to my weight and limits on things I want to do. I.e paint balling, racing cars, climbing, snow boarding etc

So post surgery there is a massive to do list!

I'm not vein, I'm not expecting a miracle or anything but I am hoping after the recovery I have more energy.

But will I stay the same me?!? Genuinely concerned !!!!

This is my only worry post op?

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

In my past experience, when I lost a lot of weight I became more confident and quit putting up with bs.

I'm the same. I was bitchy, egotistical and self centered before. Little has changed.

People that hid behind being fat or let being fat rule their life change a lot I think, but if you have a full happy life before losing weight is just icing on the cake.

You will likely need time to get to know the real you. The weight before acted to repress you and so you may have never met the real you before. You will probably be a mixture of delighted and disgusted with the real you, so just keep that in mind.

well, the good news is if you DON'T like the new you - you can change! we'll be here to help you talk things out.

Anyone done/tried new activities since they had surgery?

Also I actually can't wait to be able to sit with my knees bent up against my chest again! Or other silly things like that. Anyone else had silly things that they can now do or are excited to be able to do?

Also I actually can't wait to be able to sit with my knees bent up against my chest again! Or other silly things like that. Anyone else had silly things that they can now do or are excited to be able to do?

I was cold the other night and David's flannel shirt was on the couch (don't get me started on THAT issue) but I was able to put it on over my tee shirt and comfortably warm up in it. I haven't ever been able to steal his clothes in our relationship so that kind of made me feel like a giddy teenage girlfriend. He's lucky I didn't go find him and wake him up to share my enthusiasm. :P

I'm so glad for this post. I too have wondered the same thing but was too scared to mention it. I'm definitely one that has hidden behind my size for years. Not sure how I'm going to handle the attention, but one thing I am hoping to find is my backbone!!

I took a lot for me to say I'm nervous about the new me!

My husband met me at 14 I was a uk10/12 until I was 16 then I ballooned to a size 24. Now stuck, until this year Whoo hoo!

My husband is great but he's not got a lot to say about it. How are your partners feelings?

For women, one of the things they notice is to be able to cross their legs. I know this because even though I am a guy I used to always joke about as a man sitting European-style, which I can now do. When I was huge I tried and almost tore my leg out of my socket.

I would love to be able to get back to how I was about age 17. I was so freaking flexible. I exceeded almost everyone in my gym classes They always did this test in gym where you sit one the ground with your feet flat against a wall. The goal is to reach forward and plant both palms on the wall. Most people can't do this. If you can do it you are exceptionally flexible. I was always the only one in my class who could do it. I'm going to keep working until I can do it agian. lol

Losing a lot of weight can be psycho-spiritually profound! Many people on this journey find out that they have become more them selves, not less. More confident, more comfortable, more welcome, more active, more brazen, bolder. The process of losing weight, can definitely change your perception. But the core of who you are, that will not change. If in the core of who you are you are badly hurt, or unhappy, that will still have to be addressed. If in the core of who you are, you are joyful and content, you might find out that you can hold even more joy and even more contentment once there is not so much weight between you your self and the rest of the world. There is nothing to worry about. It can be a beautiful and organic process, but it is a process of transformation so there are bound to be shifts in your perception.

For me, I crave to get back to the energy and excitement I had for the next activity. I lost a bunch of weight at 18 and was my ideal weight for a number of years. After a hysterical at 23 I ballooned. I know what the thinner me is and what I love to do and wear. I have just struggled to get back to her. I've had a picture of 21 y/o - 165 lb me in my phone for months now. Telling everyone this is the weight I will be again lol

Sent from my SM-G925P using the BariatricPal App