Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Fatigue/dizziness/lightheaded

I'm one week out and extremely dizzy when standing or walking. I can't do much because of the lightheadedness. It was so bad I fell night before last. I think this my body trying to adjust to fewer calories, but afraid it could be an electrolyte imbalance. Any thoughts or ideas?

The first thing that comes to my mind is--> are you getting adequate fluids every day? Are you reaching your Protein goals?

I am a few days past being 4 months post-op & back in the beginning, I had a few days where I felt dizziness creeping in ---I'd look at my food log & immediately see that I was behind on my Fluid intake...Once that registered with me, I never let it happen again.

If you're meeting your Fluid & Protein goals and still feeling this way, I'd pick up the phone and call your surgeon.

They know what's best for each of us post-op.

It might be dehydration or low blood sugar, how is your Fluid intake? At one week out it was a challange for me. Can you add pedialyte to your water; they have flavor packet you can add to your juice or Water.< /p>

Are you checking your blood pressure? If this dizziness and lightheadedness happens mostly when you stand up or sit up, it could be orthostatic hypotension, which is something that a lot of people deal with in the first few months after weight loss surgery.

Sounds to me you probably possibly can be dehydrated.

Did you take enough protein/vitamins/food intakes that you are supposed to follow your instructions per Bariatric surgeon's orders?

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I had this happen to me in my 2nd week post op.

Whilst I was driving (5 min trip) it hit me: dizziness, cold and clammy sweat, feeling faint, anxiety ....

I made it to my apt, but was ready to pull over.

I was told I looked white/grey, just about to faint...

Thankfully the nurse recognised my symptoms as Dehydration, so she gave me an Electrolyte drink that I sipped slowly.

This helped, and I felt much better in rather short time.

After this I became mindful of my Fluid intake, and also bought Hydralite for emergencies.

It was initially hard for me to sip slowly small amounts of fluids frequently.

No problems with sipping, just timing.

Hasn't happened since.

If it happens again, now I know what to do.

I also forgot to sip my purees at times, however I only noticed hunger. No shakes, cold sweats or dizziness.

Having said that, symptoms of hypoglycaemia (low blood sugar levels) are very similar.

I am 22 days post op

I forgot to add, that at the same time I had my dizzy spell, I also had very low blood pressure (week 2 post op).

No internal bleeding, just low BP

As was mentioned earlier, low BP can cause dizziness whilst standing up suddenly.

I was worried re potential shock caused by potential internal bleeding. I also had rapid pulse ....

Funny, being ex nurse, I just couldn't think straight ......

However, I was just dehydrated.

Hope it gets better for you SCF2361 !

Kraków57. I'm almost 3 weeks out & between the low BP & low blood sugar I'm taking it easy until I get leveled out. I'm now upping my Protein & making sure I get my fluids. I was on 3 BP meds - haven't taken Any in 3 days now & my BP is running 100s. Eager to feel better but I'm ok

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Glad to hear you are OK, dkrygowski !

You and I have similar timelines post op.

Taking it easy is a must for safe recovery.

You are doing all the right things.

I've upped my Proteins too (was advised to add Sustagen to my yoghurt), and am mindful re my Fluid intake.

I am half way through the puree stage, and I apply the no fluids 30 mins before and after my purees.

Otherwise I drink/sip Water, watered down juices, Water with 2 tbs flat lemonade, and coffee.

Yes, coffee is dehydrating, but my surgeon advised me not to go of it. Just keep the fluids up.

I hope you feel better soon!

Today I did bit of tidying and pureeing my food to keep and to freeze for later.

I was quite tired later with aching legs/feet.

Took it easy afterwards.

Easy does it for now :)

10 days out , just what i needed thxs.

Edited by hoot temple

All of the above answer are things you need to take into check into. I'm 6 weeks post op and still find I have this issue sometimes (especially first thing in the morning). I ask my doctor and they didn't seem too conceded. I'm just taking it slow and listening to my body.

Thanks everyone for replying. I'm mildly dehydrated. It's been a huge struggle for me to get my Water in. I've always been a big water drinker - 1 1/2 to 2 liters a day - but now it makes me sick. I've pushed through today and forced myself to drink 60 ounces, which I'll make sure to do every day, it so I'm slowly improving and hopefully will be fine in another day or two. So thankful for all the support I find here!

I add little Flat sugar free lemonade to my glass of Water, about 2 Tbsps, and sip it slowly.

I am so glad that it was dehydration in your case, as it is easily remedied.

I was a big Water drinker too, until the op.

Now, I am still learning to sip it slowly, especially in the mornings when I am thirsty.

If I take a big gulp (old habit), I now keep it in my mouth, and slowly let it in .....