Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Would you move where has someone died?

Okay so I might be getting a place of my own this week. Since 2009 I've dreamed of moving to this particular place. I used to stay there with an ex-boyfriend at one point and always wanted to live there on my own but there were all sorts of obstacles that prevented me from getting the gall to apply, I was afraid I wouldn't meet all the requirements but I prayed really hard and worked really hard over the past year to do whatever I can to qualify for this place. I don't want to live anywhere else. I put all my eggs in one basket pretty much but that's how badly I wanted to live there lol.

Anyways so its pending a final approval and I informed the property manger that I would be having surgery soon so I would like to know when I would be able to move in and that's when she told me this very upcoming week if everything goes fine however, someone died in the place. An old lady who supposedly died from old age and I was told that I need to sign a waiver saying that I was informed.

I don't know if I believe in ghosts or what not really. Part of me does especially when alone, part of me doesn't. I sometimes suffer from sleep paralysis, where my eyes are open and I can't move and sometimes hallucinate creepy things. I just don't know if I should move into this place now knowing someone died. To be honest I wish the property manager never told me. Anyways would you do it?

Edited by crazygoose

I understand knowing may give you the creeps. However, it sounds like you have waited a long time for the place. Death is a part of life and it sounds like the lady lived a full life.

Its a decision you have got to make based on what you can live with.

It probably wouldn't bother me but since you asked this question and it is heavy on your mind perhaps you need to come to grips with it before you make the decision.

Perhaps the property manager might let you spend one night there before you decide. Grab a sleeping bag and see if the experience affects you.

I have lived in my house for 3 years now and the previous owner was 85 and died inside the house. Haven't noticed anything. A lot of times if you think something is paranormal, normal things and noises will make you think there is a ghost.

My grandmother died in the house I grew up in and even as a child didn't have issues. We moved from that house to a new house where the previous house had burned and the people inside died. No issues. I seem to have a knack for following death.

A house where someone died of old age? Sure. Scene of a grisly murder? No.

My grandpa died in my parent's house. It feels comforting to be there now because he was a great person. So if it was "haunted" it was by his love and wonderful memories. Maybe look into the person who died and see for yourself if that seems like friendly ghost. I never had an supernatural experiences in my family's house, but if I did I wouldn't be alarmed.

I'm a Realtor and in my state we aren't legally required to disclose whether someone has died on the property or not. I always let people know just as a courtesy because I know some people are weird about it.

Me? Not so much. I'm not a believer in the supernatural or even an afterlife for that matter, so no biggie.

Well, dying is part of the circle of life, and if you gotta die somewhere, it may as well be of old age in the comfort of your own home. Maybe you could find out a little bit about her, "to get to know her" sort of.

I don't believe in the supernatural, so living where someone died a natural death would not bother me in the slightest.

Others have already said that death is part of the natural process. Maybe the elderly woman lived a brilliant, fulfilled life in her home. Not so bad.

Reason says that there's a very good chance that someone died in any number of places you might move unless the buildings went up only a few years earlier. Life happens everywhere.

It wouldn't bother me at all, because when you think of it , somebody may have died at any number of places you've lived or worked before and you probably didn't even know it. You may own 2nd hand items , ( a car ? books ? A coat or furniture ? );the previous owner may of loved them before he/she died, but I doubt if you've experienced anything strange or weird because of it. If you truly love /want the place, go for it ! If possible, find out a little about the person like hobbies and interests, and make a small donation to a charity that she would of liked. ( Animal shelter, Bookmobile, food bank , school supplies , etc ) She probably would of loved it, and you'll feel better about living in a place where somebody "passed on ". My house is about 86 years old, so I'm sure there is a past tenant who possibly passed away here, I just figure they're in the happy places here, mainly the trees and flowers. Just a thought. ( my hubby doesn't like any of that kind of stuff, but so far he's never had a problem living here, 21 years and counting, so , there you go ! Enjoy your new place !!!

It wouldn't bother me at all, because when you think of it , somebody may have died at any number of places you've lived or worked before and you probably didn't even know it. You may own 2nd hand items , ( a car ? Books ? A coat or furniture ? );the previous owner may of loved them before he/she died, but I doubt if you've experienced anything strange or weird because of it. If you truly love /want the place, go for it ! If possible, find out a little about the person like hobbies and interests, and make a small donation to a charity that she would of liked. ( Animal shelter, Bookmobile, food bank , school supplies , etc ) She probably would of loved it, and you'll feel better about living in a place where somebody "passed on ". My house is about 86 years old, so I'm sure there is a past tenant who possibly passed away here, I just figure they're in the happy places here, mainly the trees and flowers. Just a thought. ( my hubby doesn't like any of that kind of stuff, but so far he's never had a problem living here, 21 years and counting, so , there you go ! Enjoy your new place !!!

It wouldn't bother me at all, because when you think of it , somebody may have died at any number of places you've lived or worked before and you probably didn't even know it. You may own 2nd hand items , ( a car ? Books ? A coat or furniture ? );the previous owner may of loved them before he/she died, but I doubt if you've experienced anything strange or weird because of it. If you truly love /want the place, go for it ! If possible, find out a little about the person like hobbies and interests, and make a small donation to a charity that she would of liked. ( Animal shelter, Bookmobile, food bank , school supplies , etc ) She probably would of loved it, and you'll feel better about living in a place where somebody "passed on ". My house is about 86 years old, so I'm sure there is a past tenant who possibly passed away here, I just figure they're in the happy places here, mainly the trees and flowers. Just a thought. ( my hubby doesn't like any of that kind of stuff, but so far he's never had a problem living here, 21 years and counting, so , there you go ! Enjoy your new place !!!

Sheesh. Until I read this, I never thought about it, but three family members have died at home in my mother's house where I live right now. My grandmother, my aunt and my dad. Right in the room I'm sitting in as a matter of fact. Not natural causes (stroke/cancer/ALS). I'll bet lots of homes have had owners die at home.

Here's what I believe ....

I believe we can believe anything we can talk ourselves into believing.

So what makes complete sense to me may not work for you at all.

You have to figure this one out for yourself.

Good luck. :)

Id have waved such stuff off as superstitious mumbo jumbo until a recent experience had me raise my eyebrows and take note.

Was staying in a hotel......it was a house that had been converted into a hotel. Old. Charming. Ambiance.

The room in my floor was creaky & squeaky. Anyone walking was easily heard.

My first night there I heard someone walking beside the bed, pass in front of the bed and go into the bathroom. I was wide awake when it happened and had plenty of light filtering through an adjacent window to confirm that I was alone.

I have no deeper explanation for this other than it happened. I did get up to check around and the rooms were empty of course.

Crazy times. Stayed a few more nights and nothing even remotely strange like that happened again.

The cycle of life- death comes to us all. An old lady died in my house, didn't bother me at all.

My friend moved into a house and was told be a neighbour that a child had drowned in the bath. She never felt comfortable with using the bath so had the bathroom remodelled.

Sent from my SM-G920F using the BariatricPal App