Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I have talked to people who have had the lap band and told me that the first time that eat something that won't go down and gets stuck, that it is the most painful experience ever! I am 8 days post-op and I haven't had any problems yet, but over the next couple weeks I was be incorportating new foods in my diet. Now I am really to scared to but I need to eat. Can anyone who has gotten food stuck what it honestly feels like? Thanks!

I am 17 days post op and feel your fear as I am dealing with some of the same fear.

I am having mushy food and am going a way for a week just as I start solid food, I will be 5 days on solid food and thinking of canceling the trip.

I will be able in a limitted way prepare my own food, fear of eating who knew I would ever say that.

<p>I think people just want to be helpful but don't count on others taking them REALLY SEEERIOUS. </p> <p> </p> <p>The first solids I went to were Toddler meals. I ate real slow, one bite at a time and chewed my food well. I imagined my food would get stuck and someone would have to do the Himlech on me. Truth is, the first time I had a JAM in my pipes it was on Pasta, very little sauch and I actually gobbled it a bit faster than I should have. When I ate meat, it was chicken, small bites, chew slowly, no liquids, no cold liquids at meal to be sure.</p>

Adding this edit to myself:

Thanks for emailing me for clarification. I expanded my letters to exaggerate meaning OVERLY took a caution WAY too seriously. Sometimes people really go far....take my mother for example...you can say to her "Mom, when you are on that medicine, you should watch how much alcohol you consume". The next day at dinner, when asked if she wants wine she'll say "OH NO. I can't drink because of my medication." Big difference between not drinking four Jack & Cokes and drinking one glass of wine to NO I CAN'T DRINK. That's what I meant...over responding.

I haven't gotten stuck, yet, and pray that I never do...but, let's be real here. I'm gonna have the band for life and I'm sure somewhere along the way, s'thing will get stuck.

Just do a search on PBing (productive burping). This happens when s'thing gets stuck and then it comes back up.

Just remember, follow the Bandster rules. No drinking w/meals, small bites, chewing very, very well, and eating slowly. You should be okay. I ate today for the first time in a restaurant and I was fine...b/c I followed the rules. I believe that eventually, the rules will become 2nd nature and we won't have to think about them.

Also, it would be great to have some Papaya Enzyme on hand. This helps if s'thing does get stuck. It aids in digestion. My dietician told me about this.

Hope this helps!

I was thinking of getting a really good food processor to take some pressure off of me when it comes to chewing. Has anybody else tried this out? I realize I hardly chew, and even pre-band I get things stuck! I'm in some trouble huh?:help:

Hi All,

I got my band in January, and last night is the first time I've had anyting stuck (after my third fill). For me, I'm fairly cerntain the challenge was I simply didn't chew my food well enough

I have to say it is quite painful, but I wouldn't describe it as the worst pain ever. However, it was enough to remind me to SLOW down and chew. This is something I struggled with pre-band, so it was a good reminder.

Lori

About two weeks into my band I tried some liquidy mashed potatoes. WHOA! They got major stuck. To tell you what the feeling was like...it was kindof like pushing a knuckle on your breastbone. It hurt for about 2 hours, but I never PB'd or slimed. I avoided mashed potatoes after that for a while, but I can eat them now, but I was scared of them for a while...

You will all eventually have a run-in with some "stuck" food, but if you take SMALL bites and chew well, and don't eat too fast (put your fork down between bites), you will be less apt to experience it, and when you do, it will not be as bad as it could be if you guzzled your food. When it gets stuck you will ABSOLUTELY KNOW. It's kindof like the feeling when you first learn to ride a bike and everything goes wrong....and then all of a sudden you feel it and it works and you're balancing and everything goes smoothly and you go "So THAT'S what it feels like!" and you never forget that for the rest of your life...getting food stuck is much like that (but not in a good way, unfortunately).

That's good for your liquid stage, but you don't want to get in the habit of liquifying all your foods after that's over with. Getting food stuck is kindof like getting a shot at the doctor...you agonize over it horribly before the experience...when it happens it's not THAT bad....but it's not something you particularly would CHOOSE to experience on any regular basis, given a choice in the matter!

You should be okay with the trip....just take it slow and stay away initially from things like breads, steaks, rice and Pasta. I just made sure that the things I ate when I was in public early on were things I KNEW would work for me. I didn't experiment with potential problematic foods when I first ventured out. In restaurants I would do things like tuna, fish dishes, Soups, stuff like that. Do your experimenting at home to see what you can and cannot eat.

I'm two months out and (yes) it does hurt when food get's stuck. This is the time to start chewing 28 times before swallowing. When you start eating sollids then cut meat into very little pieces and try to chew 28 times each piece and when you feel pressure in the chest area then stop for a couple of minutes to see if it goes down or not. if it does go down then eat one or two more bites slowly and give the food time to go down then go from there.

I had my first "real" meal tonight - exactly 2 weeks after surgery. I had mashed potatoes with Ricotta cheese mixed in for Protein, a little bit of chicken, green Beans and a couple of bites of cantalope. It has been over an hr since I ate and so far so good and no pressure but I too was scared to death.

2 days after surgery I had a bout with sliming and dry heaves from getting potato Soup stuck - must have been a tiny chunk and too thick. It wasn't fun and I was scared but I lived and everything is okay - - by the way 22#'s gone since I had my first appointment with my surgeon!!!

:whoo: