Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Is recovery of hernia repair any different?

Ok so now Im getting a little worried.:cryIm having lapband surgery Monday and found out today I have a hiatal hernia.

Just wondering what everyones recovery experience was like?

Repair vs. no repair I hope I explained that right.????

wc_lady

Hi WC Lady,

A friend of mind had lapband surgery 5 weeks ago and they realized she had a hernia during her surgery and they repaired it and continued with her surgery.

She has not encountered any problems, had 2 fills and doing GREAT.

How did you find out about the hernia before the surgery? Are there symptons?

Just curious.

You'll do just fine.

I had a upper GI done as part of the testing before surgery.

I suspected it was there, I have a lot of heartburn. Plus I have been on the purple pill for several years.

I think it hurts a little more. Some non-herniated bandsters report that they are out walking the day after the op. I stayed inside for 5 days. I took 7 days off work, could have done with another one or two days as well.

I actually couldn't even tell they repaired mine during surgery. I didn't feel any pain from it. My doctor said I couldn't have the surgery unless they repaired it. They didn't know about mine either, until I was in surgery, then they came out and told my DH and he told them to fix it.

I had a hiatal hernia repair and no sweat. I would never have known had they not told me. My recovery has been smooth , just banded on the 2nd of August. I can say that liguids are not filling me up however I am hungry.

hi,

i had one and didnt know it until the DR. was in surgery. he said it was pretty big but i didnt know about it at all.

my recovery was pretty normal like everyone else's

good luck

I think everyone is different. For me it was a more diffacult recover. I had a huge one and didnt know until they were doing surgery. I had alot of pain when I cam out of surgery. It was diffacult to breathe, I also had a little Fluid in my lungs. I ended up staying in the hospital 3 days when I thought I was going home in 6 hours.

best of luck I am probably one of those weird cases!!!

melissa

Ok so now Im getting a little worried.:cryIm having lapband surgery Monday and found out today I have a hiatal hernia.

Just wondering what everyones recovery experience was like?

Repair vs. no repair I hope I explained that right.????

wc_lady

I just saw this thread today and realized you had your surgery today. I hope all went well and you are on your road to a new life. I had my band done 6-19-07 and also had my gallbladder removed and a hiatal hernia repaired at the same time. I hope you do as well as I did. I breezed through all three procedures and I don't believe my recovery time was much more than if I had only had the band. I feel better than I have in years and I credit a lot of it to losing the gallbladder and the hernia repair. I haven't had reflux since surgery and I also breathe better now. You'll be glad it was done at the same time. I'm so proud for you...let us know how you are doing! It's a whole new beginning!