Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Here is the truth about the band

docsdeb, let me be the first to tell you.....calm down!!! Relax!!!!

Being "stuck" is nothing like choking. There is not a problem with breathing, it simply feels like the bite you just took is not wanting to go all the way to the stomach. A feeling hard to describe, but not an in your throat, not getting air, panic filled moment!

I am 6 hours one way away from my follow up care Dr. I have never needed him in any emergency type of way.

I believe the band has saved my life, I have NEVER felt like it put my life in jeapardy, as in choking or needing someone to be with me to help me through a PB or anything of that manner at all!!!

Worst case scenario, a bad PB---will be similar to vomiting, not something you want someone holding your hand for in the first place!!!

Relax a bit, and I'll let the others help now....I know I will not be the only one telling you the 2 issues are nothing alike!!

It will be ok!!!

Kat

I have read every reply to the op that started this 7 page thread. I have been reading this board for the past 4 weeks like a mad women trying to educate myself as to what to expect and for encouragement to go through with getting banded. Now I am having very serious doubts.

Personally I panic very easily. I am alone at night very frequently as DH works a weird swing shift so I have NO support close by if I PB, which I apparently will or get that stuck feeling. For me, that 'stuck' feeling would be asimilar to choking, not cool, I would panic myself to death, also the golf ball feeling in my esophagus, same thing, panic to death. I am a self pay patient as my BC has the "clause" no cov for any tx for obesity. I opted to go to Mexico for my surgery and have a date of Sept 28th. Another problem, I do have a doctor who will take over my care and do my fills but he is 2 hours away. So now I'm thinking, after reading all of this, with the way I panic, and being home alone, if a problem does arise, my doctor is 2 hours away, I have no close friends to call for help or support, I'm screwed!!!!! :omg: and now very depressed because I seriously am doubting if I can go through this by myself. I thought I had this all worked out in my mind but the truth is, with all the adjusting to the band problems that can and probably will take place I just don't see me coping that well.I have certainly done a thorough job of letting this op talk me out of my band. I could cry and I don't cry.

It will not be a good night for me. Poor poor pitiful me:( Well crap!

Ok Docsdeb - calm down - take a deep breath - relax... Everyone's experience with the band is different. There are tons of people here who have never been stucked, slimed or bp'd - if you follow your doctors orders - eat slow chew chew etc you should be just fine - it's when people eat too fast don't chew etc that these things can happen - and a golf ball in your chest isn't choking - It's like an air bubble right between your boobs - it didn't last long and it's cuz i ate too much

As to the adjustments - my doc has lady who is 5 months out and never had a fill - it is an individual basis - yes but you will have to go get a fill - your doc could hit your sweet spot the 1st time.

99% of those who posted here love their bands - why would you let this one thread change your mind especailly since it truely is the most positivtive thread for being banded.

Only you can make this decision - and i wish you the best in making it...

Yup, I'm freaking out! There is a lady that is being banded in Mexico the same date as I (big IF, now huge IF I go through with it) just with a different Doc and location. I am suppose to call her tomorrow and let her "tap" me. She is trained in energy tapping (never heard about it, started reading about it, find it VERY interesting) and she is going to tap me over the phone, because on top of everything else, I hate to fly! She also said she has a tap for panic too and believe me, even if I don't go through with the surgery, I still need that. If I don't go through with it I probably lose 1300.00 deposit another bummer. Well I'm mess, I've been reading this site for 4 weeks straight, it's become an addiction and I may have a little brain overload. Maybe I just need to relax a little and do a little less reading for a while, if I can, go through with the tapping session tomorrow(certainly could not hurt at this point) and re-evaluate my decision tomorrow or Monday. The dang plane reservations are made and everything too. Oh Lord!

Yup, I'm freaking out! There is a lady that is being banded in Mexico the same date as I (big IF, now huge IF I go through with it) just with a different Doc and location. I am suppose to call her tomorrow and let her "tap" me. She is trained in energy tapping (never heard about it, started reading about it, find it VERY interesting) and she is going to tap me over the phone, because on top of everything else, I hate to fly! She also said she has a tap for panic too and believe me, even if I don't go through with the surgery, I still need that. If I don't go through with it I probably lose 1300.00 deposit another bummer. Well I'm mess, I've been reading this site for 4 weeks straight, it's become an addiction and I may have a little brain overload. Maybe I just need to relax a little and do a little less reading for a while, if I can, go through with the tapping session tomorrow(certainly could not hurt at this point) and re-evaluate my decision tomorrow or Monday. The dang plane reservations are made and everything too. Oh Lord!

Maybe you should consider postponing, rather than cancelling your surgery. That way you have time to think, and you don't lose your deposit.

docsdeb, you should go and look at the before and after pictures. That will

help a bunch. I have had 4 fills and rarely pb. It's not that big of a deal.

If something gets stuck, it's not like you are choking at all. It's like a piece of food that you didn't chew enough and it almost pops right out. If you follow the rules, such as taking very tiny bites, and chewing until it's liquid, these just aren't issues. Plus you get fills a little bit at a time. If you get a fill and you find that food is getting stuck, it's a learning time. Learn to chew better and take smaller bites. Don't get another fill until that isn't happening any more.

docdeb, I agree with chickie. Maybe you really aren't ready for the band and this is a way to not make the committment. If you have been reading you would see this is not the norm and even the poster that started this thread is now feeling better!

Postpone so you can have sometime to think. It it not what it has been made into but I also think you shouldn't do it unless you are ready!

Docsdeb - I take it that since you are going to Mexico - you don't have to have a shrink exam - I am concerned that you might not be a canadintie (sp) for WSL I don't mean to be mean in saying this - but you sound like you have some worry / panic issues - or are these just pre-surgery jitters??? I love my Band !!!! and would do it again in a heart beat - cuz I want to keep my heart beating and being fat it wasn't.. Good Luck - and again I don't mean to offend ...

I have read all of your responses and I appreciate them. Even the op responded and told me to "grow some balls" I will take no offense as she does not know me or has any idea what has happened in my life that started the panic to begin with. I am not,nor was I ever looking for pity or sympathy in any shape form or fashion.

I admit to having pre-surgery jitters but I definitely don't think I need a phych exam. I work in the medical field and have been involved with and seen my share of trauma and devastation. I feel that my post gave the impression that I am weak, I am not. IMHO the op posted hastily on her experiences at the time without thought and irresponsibly. Thank goodness for the post bandster brigade who stepped in immediately to do damage control. I think they did an excellent job taking the thread in a calming and positve direction.

I have made my decision to go ahead with my banding as planned and this will probably be the last time I will post on this board, but I do appreciate those of you concerned enough to post positively in what I call my "threader panic". I can and will do this on my own and keep my problems to myself. If I have a question I know where to find this board and how to use the search field. I'm sure I'll find an answer.

So much good can be re-inforced here and provide so many newbies a place to come and get the answers they seek. Sometimes good, sometimes not so good. You just have to sort the crap out on you own.

Thanks again "losers" best wishes and keep fighting the good fight.

Blessings and :)

this is a bit disconcerting, but not completely unexpected, and to be a normal size again someday, it is worth it to me...but I understand and appreciate everything you say...

I have read all of your responses and I appreciate them. Even the op responded and told me to "grow some balls" I will take no offense as she does not know me or has any idea what has happened in my life that started the panic to begin with. I am not,nor was I ever looking for pity or sympathy in any shape form or fashion.

I admit to having pre-surgery jitters but I definitely don't think I need a phych exam. I work in the medical field and have been involved with and seen my share of trauma and devastation. I feel that my post gave the impression that I am weak, I am not. IMHO the op posted hastily on her experiences at the time without thought and irresponsibly. Thank goodness for the post bandster brigade who stepped in immediately to do damage control. I think they did an excellent job taking the thread in a calming and positve direction.

I have made my decision to go ahead with my banding as planned and this will probably be the last time I will post on this board, but I do appreciate those of you concerned enough to post positively in what I call my "threader panic". I can and will do this on my own and keep my problems to myself. If I have a question I know where to find this board and how to use the search field. I'm sure I'll find an answer.

So much good can be re-inforced here and provide so many newbies a place to come and get the answers they seek. Sometimes good, sometimes not so good. You just have to sort the crap out on you own.

Thanks again "losers" best wishes and keep fighting the good fight.

Blessings and :)

Docsdeb

For us here who had insurance cover our surgeries - we had to see shrinks (well most of us I think) and yes you did sound quite panic

and very unsure. I never thought you wanted pitty and I am well known for giving tough band love - but the key word is love. I am glad that you are going to be banded - it's work but you are well worth the work and since you work in the medical field you can see all the damage done from being overweight - I hate to read that you won't be visitng here often - I find it a great support group - (go to support group thread and read the post from others who will be banded this month) also - once you are banded you can help others who get/are "panic" prior to surgery.. Good Luck and I will keep you in my prayer on 9/28...

I definitely have to say I am surprised to hear you received personal negative comments from this board. I have never had that experience here. It has always been very supportive or "tough" love, but never negative. I have seen negative on other boards, so I don't bother to go there.

Please do consider at least reading and posting on the monthly support board for which ever month you have surgery. I love my June 07 thread and feel very invested in everyone's success there. It is great to have people at the same stages as you are to talk to.

Good Luck in your Journey!

Docsdeb,

Sometimes we can be on information overload! Just relax and let the doctors do their jobs and trust them. You will feel so much more relaxed. I know it's easy for me to say, but once you know this is the right thing for you, you should feel excited about getting the band. Of course nervous too...but not so nervous that you are dreading it.

The psyche eval. was great. Most insurance companies require it. She actually asked me to come back a second time! LOL...and I did not mind that at all. This is a big step and they are there for you if you need them. This is a before, during and after procedure and you have to be mentally ready for it.

Best of luck! I hope all goes well.

Tey to relax! you will be fine.

I love my band. I could not do without it. This is the best decision i ever made. YOu just have to let the band do its job and follow the band rules. It is a life changing process.

Actually, this is the first post that has had these facts you mention. I am glad to know that there are some things to look out for. I never knew what PB meant but now I get an idea.

Thanks for the information. I may be like you at some time as I am getting ready to set up my surgery. I still look forward to it as I am rather disgusted with my weight and with food in general.

Nothing negative from me -- just a thank you -- I think we all have our days, banded or not.