Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pre-op, BPD/Duodenal Switch vs Gastric Sleeve

Thank you so much for your advice. I really do appreciate it. I am nervous for tomorrow morning but excited as well. Have you found any books that were helpful with the nutrition side of things or general recipes. Amazon has a lot of books but not sure which one is better than the other.

Here you go!

Link

I can also email you the documents my surgeons and DS nutrits. give us. They include sample meal plans, what to eat when, vits/minerals, etc. If you're interested, PM me with your email addy.

Surgery went better than expected. I had no nausea, or real pain, I did have problems with my oxygen levels so I came home with a machine. Its now 4 days post op and I have a pain under my rib cage that makes it difficult to breathe deep breaths. I am not running any fevers nor do I feel sick to my stomach just very uncomfortable. I walk a little bit each day and I am grateful I took two weeks off. Still wearing the support wrap because it helps with the mobility. Thanks for the link, I will check it out in the next day or two.

So glad to hear you've made it home. Sorry you're in pain. Hope you're taking something they gave you for it.

For the OP,

If I had it to do over & the single-anastomosis duodenal switch had been available when I had my sleeve in 2013, I probably would have done that rather than the sleeve. The amount of malabsorption with the classic DS scared me then & still does. I did loose close to 100 pounds after the sleeve & then a panniculectomy but regained about 20 pounds. I had a revision of the sleeve & then the SA-DS on December 29, 2015, & am no down 115 pounds from my pre-sleeve starting weight.

For the OP,

If I had it to do over & the single-anastomosis duodenal switch had been available when I had my sleeve in 2013, I probably would have done that rather than the sleeve. The amount of malabsorption with the classic DS scared me then & still does. I did loose close to 100 pounds after the sleeve & then a panniculectomy but regained about 20 pounds. I had a revision of the sleeve & then the SA-DS on December 29, 2015, & am no down 115 pounds from my pre-sleeve starting weight.

My Single-Anastomosis Duodenal Switch was performed by Dr. Cottam who owns that patent on this procedure and also teaches all the other doctors how to do the surgery. I am glad I chose this procedure. I am on my second week post op and my own side effects is nausea which is being treated by medication. The nausea is so bad it is effecting the amount of fluids I take in and how much I eat. I am hoping in a few days that the meds will help this. I seem to be dropping about 1 lb per day somedays about 1.5. Right now I am being told to eat, eat, eat which is hard to do but I try. Glad to hear you were able to lose the weight you gained. That would be heart breaking to have a procedure that worked for a while and then made you start to gain weight. Glad its working this time for you