Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Menopause before surgery?

For anyone who went through Menopause shortly before surgery I have a question. My doctor told me I am now officially menopausal, since I have been one year without a period. I have had no other symptoms. I am thinking it is because my weight has kept my estrogen levels up. My question is will I experience hot flashes, etc. if the weight comes off after surgery? Has anyone experienced this?

I went through menopause ten years ago without any symptoms. Never had a hot flash. My estrogen level is practically a negative number, so my weight obviously isn't helping me there.

I went through surgical menopause about 5 months before my sleeve. Definitely had hot flashes before and still get some now, but not as bad. Hard to say if it's due to the weight loss or just getting used to the menopause.

I've been perimenopausal for the last 12 years! Hot flashes are horrible, emotions are terrible. I had a hysterectomy when I was 37 but they left my ovaries. I now feel like I am stuck in perpetual perimenopause. I'm truly hoping that the wls pushes me through to menopause. I cannot take the emotional turmoil that occurs almost monthly now. I cry and get totally bummed out for no reason at all. It sucks.

I hope losing this weight will help all those hormones level out.

nope - I did not experience any of this after surgery. I'd been post-menopausal for about two years, so I suspect my estrogen level was already really low.

I had only been menopausal for about a year at the time of my surgery. Now at nearly seven months out I do still occasionally have hot flashes, but they feel shorter in duration, not as intense.

I get cold much more often than hot now, and even keep a space heater under my desk at work.

Sent from my iPhone using BariatricPal

@@Renkoss

I have had the exact same experience! I had a hysterectomy at 40 and they left my ovaries. I have been stuck in perpetual peri menopause for too many years to count. I am 52 and must get at least 20 severe hot flashes every day and at night.

The night before last I had one so bad that my entire body was soaked so bad with sweat that I had to get up change pjs, underwear and bed sheets in the middle of the night.

Wtf, will it ever end? What's worse is because I had a hysterectomy I have no real idea when I no longer get a period. I seriously want to be done with this crap.

I feel like the hot flashes got worse post surgery.

I had a complete hyst w/ovaries removed 2years prior to my sleeve. They put me on hormones right away and now surgeon took me off them d/t risk of clots but told me if I become too symptomatic I can restart them. 5 weeks post sleeve and no flashes yet. Hopefully this continues.

I was 51 when I had WLS so yes menopause was happening.

Now, years later, strangely enough, sugar often makes me have hot flashes . Other times they just happen ... Often when I wake up, I get the hot/ cold routine.

I'm a bit weary of them after all this time, but so thankful that I am cold often due to weight loss.

I can't imagine running so hot before WLS , and adding hot flashes!

@@Djmohr

Ugh. So you didn't get any relief after surgery? I am hopeful that with the weight loss will come relief. I don't get that many hot flashes anymore (still a couple a day), but I just feel like I'm constantly hot. My poor husband lost 80 lbs over the last 4 years, and he's always cold now. I keep the house at 63 at the highest...even in our northeast Ohio winter right now! I am so hot at work because they have the heat set at 74. I'm surprised I haven't gotten sick going in and out of heat and cold!

@@Renkoss

Don't get me wrong, since dropping 142lbs I am always freezing where I used to be hot and sweaty all day long. However I have horrible hot flashes and a lot of them all day long. It's funny because even in the summer I wear a jacket or am bundled up in a blanket.

Then a flash comes on and I am throwing everything off for about 2 minutes. Then I am sweaty and freezing when I come down from the flash.

It's like I can't make up my mind.

Thanks all - it sounds like there is just no predicting what might happen!

I was 10 years post-menopause when I had my surgery two years ago.

About the time I lost the first thirty pounds, I began feeling cold rather than hot. The only time I get hot flashes now is if I take an oxycodone for a painful orthopedic condition. There is no more taking clothes off and putting them back on again in a never-ending ritual.