Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello there

I know I have to let go of coffee pre op and supposedly post op. But I have Fibromyalgia, and I don't have any energy as it is. I'm about 5 days on the pre op diet and yes I have had about half the amount of coffee I usually do to try and cut back, but on the 3 days that I've tried to have Green tea (still caffeine) instead, I am useless. I am a zombie, and I may as well be dead in the bed.

I have used coffee so much of my life in order to get things accomplished, but I was never an all day coffee drinker. Two cups in the mornings and that's it.

So, what is the reason that I have to get off caffeine? Green tea seems to have half the amount of caffeine, and even using two tea bags left me in a zombie state. There is something about either the coffee itself, or the ritual, that energizes me.

Any feedback is greatly appreciated. I just broke down and got an unsweetened coffee with cream at Starbucks. I have to do laundry, clean the kitchen, do the bed covers, unpack old unpacked boxes, prepare for my mother to arrive. If you don't have Fibro or Chronic Fatigue, this will sound silly I know. But trust me, every little thing helps get through the day.

I am under the impression that we ditch coffee in an effort to help us with overall hydration post-op. Actually I was told to quit all caffeine. After surgery at home it will be grader to get fluids in than pre-op because of the size restriction, the time delay with separating eating and drinking (30 min apart). I was told with every cup of caffeinated beverage you would have to drink one extra cup of Water, in addition to the 64 ounce daily goal.

It gets easier. I thought I could never give up coffee, but it is doable!

I am under the impression that we ditch coffee in an effort to help us with overall hydration post-op. Actually I was told to quit all caffeine. After surgery at home it will be grader to get fluids in than pre-op because of the size restriction, the time delay with separating eating and drinking (30 min apart). I was told with every cup of caffeinated beverage you would have to drink one extra cup of Water, in addition to the 64 ounce daily goal.

It gets easier. I thought I could never give up coffee, but it is doable!

OHH ok, that makes perfect sense. It dehydrates you! Of course, that's the one thing I did not even think about.

Thank you!

Ok, back to Zombie-stage it is, after this incredible caffeine wears off! :P And I am glad to hear it gets better!

i was allowed to have coffee and tea as long as i did not put sugar and cream in. i am still allowed. it just depends on your doctors orders. i know tea/coffee acts as a diuretic so i cannot have much. you should talk to your doctor about it and see if he will allow a small amount.

coffee does not dehydrate you, that is a myth!

http://www.abc.net.au/health/talkinghealth/factbuster/stories/2014/02/27/3951831.htm

http://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/2014/01/13/262175623/coffee-myth-busting-cup-of-joe-may-help-hydration-and-memory

However, it is true that coffee can be a gastric irritant, so if you are having problems with acid or anything like that post-sleeve, it is probably best to stay away.

I personally consume lots of black coffee every day and very little of any other kind of drink. If coffee actually did dehydrate you, I'd be dead of thirst long ago. But here I am, alive, well, and healthy.

My surgeon said they used to discourage coffee but stopped.

I drank lots pre op and continue to drink quite a bit post op and it's never been a problem.

I drink coffee daily- I add Protein in my morning iced latte- it helps me meet my Protein goals! ????????????????????

My surgeon doesn't require giving up coffee post-op.

I would ask your surgeon his thoughts and the reasoning behind it and make an informed decision.

I have at least one triple shot espresso every day...

Usually two...

I waited until about 8 weeks post op before I had my first but it's been fine since then...

There are a lot of myths related to coffee, as referred to by a previous poster...

I think the biggest issue that really comes from coffee drinking is the milk and/or sugar that people add to it to make it enjoyable to them...

I managed to wean myself off the sugar and now have none...

The good thing is, it's still coffee!!!

Also, black coffee has lots of health benefits:

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/05/12/upshot/more-consensus-on-coffees-benefits-than-you-might-think.html?_r=0

As the article says, this is specifically about black coffee, not a bunch of sugar and cream and/or artificial crap with a little coffee flavoring ^_^

My dr allowed it 2 weeks post op. Yes two weeks! But it always has gotten my reflux going so haven't tried it. I haven't had coffee or Diet Coke I about 7 weeks. Not sure when and if I will.

coffee is rough on the stomach as it is very acidic. I wasn't allowed coffee until 30 days post-op and then I was to go heavy on the cream to dilute it. I was allowed to gradually decrease the cream and increase my coffee intake as tolerated. I now drink 3 cups a day. I wasn't specifically required to stop drinking coffee as part of my pre-op diet, but I chose to so I could kick my caffeine habit before my surgery, just so I wouldn't have to go through withdrawal while recovering. But I literally COUNTED down the days until I was allowed to drink it again post-op. I love my coffee!

I had asked about it at my last visit also since too am a dedicated coffee drinker and a zombie without it. I was told the caffeine irritates your stomach afterwards and also causes you to get less proper fluids (water) into you. (Isn't coffee made from Water? ) I've cut down as well but I'm not liking life as much these days! My head hurts and my body aches!

I drink 6 shots of espresso in my travel mug while driving to work and have a large dark roast with 2 shots after lunch.

No problems

Ok is decaffeinated any better?

I drink 6 shots of espresso in my travel mug while driving to work and have a large dark roast with 2 shots after lunch.

No problems

*swoon*