Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

my doctor is recommending I do the RNY but I had my heart set on the sleeve..

what is the popular opinion among people?

I'm 5 foot my BMI is 41 and I weigh 211.. I thought the RNY was for people that are 350+

Why is he recommending RNY? My doctor gave me specific reasons why he was recommending the sleeve for me instead of RNY.

I wonder too why is he recommending the RNY. If you have heart set on sleeve, find another doc. Mine asked me what I wanted and I said sleeve and he was fine with it, I was 268lbs, had it 8/3 and down to 196lbs. Good luck

Hi. I'm 5'1 and 197 bmi is 36 right now and my doctor asked me which I was looking into. If your not comfortable and want to make your own decisions maybe have a consult with another doctor to see how they are with you. It's your body and your choice. I wish you luck.

my doctor is recommending I do the RNY but I had my heart set on the sleeve..

what is the popular opinion among people?

I'm 5 foot my BMI is 41 and I weigh 211.. I thought the RNY was for people that are 350+

Statistically - The RNY typically sheds ~70% *EXCESS* body weight. The sleeve typically sheds ~60% excess body weight. These are statistics. Many people have realized much more loss with both...and much less.

My Dr's clinic research and experience is showing them that the gap in typical excess weight lost is narrowing between the two procedures, Thus the sleeve becomes the obvious choice for a high percentage of Bariatric candidates due to the long term "normalcy."

- Less "dumping syndrome" impact.

- Less dietary restrictions.

- More normal diet.

- But NOT reversible for any reason.

The RNY is technically reversible, though I've never heard of anyone doing it. If I wanted reversible I'd go with lap band, which does the same thing and less invasive.

Most Drs and patients will tell you that your long term success and ultimate excess weight loss will be impacted way more by your decisions AFTER surgery, not the surgery itself. Everyone has equal opportunity to take the surgery and use it as one of many tools towards a healthier life, or totally negate its benefit with poor choices.

You really need to speak with your Dr about concerns over a lifetime of "dumping syndrome" and the dietary restrictions necessary to prevent it. I would think both of you would agree the sleeve is the right life-long choice.

Best of luck.

Edited by CzechPleez

The only two good reasons I heard for gastric bypass over sleeve is acid reflux and the additional Weightloss that comes from intestinal malabsorption.

Not sure if you need these problems solved.

On the other hand, there are plenty of pluses for the sleeve. Not the least of which is that you still have a functioning stomach (albeit a very small one) and everything else is intact.

To me, the sleeve means that in 7 months, your physiology is intact, but you have a skinny girls stomach!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• BeanitoDiego

I've hit a stall 9 months out. I'm not worried, though. My fitness levels continue to improve and I have nearly accomplished my pre-surgery goal of learning to scuba dive! One dive left to complete to get my PADI card 🐠
      I was able to go for a 10K/6mile hike in the mountains two days ago just for the fun of it. In the before days, I might have attempted this, but it would have taken me 7 or 8 hours to complete and I would have been exhausted and in pain for the next two days. Taking my time with breaks for snacks and water, I was finished with my wee jaunt in only 4 hours 😎 and really got to enjoy photographing some insects, fungi, and turtles.
      Just for fun last week, I ran two 5Ks in two days, something I would have never done in the past! Next goal is a 10K before the end of this month.
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • Teriesa

Hi everyone, I wrote back in May about having no strength. I still get totally exhausted just walking from room to room, it’s so bad I’m using a walker with wheels of all things. I had the gastric sleeve Jan. 24th. I’m doing exactly what the programs says, except protein shakes. I have different meats and protein bars daily, including vitamins daily. I do drink my fluids as well.  I go in for IV hydration 4 days a week and feel ok just til evening.  So far as of Jan 1st I’ve dropped 76 lbs. I just want to enjoy the weight lose. Any suggestions or has anyone else gone thru this??  Doctor says just increase calorie intake, still the same. 
      · 0 replies
    • Stone Art By SKL

Decorative Wall Cladding & Panels | Stone Art By SKL
      Elevate your space with Stone Art By SKL's decorative wall claddings & panels. Explore premium designs for timeless elegance.
      · 0 replies
    • Clueless_girl

Losing my hair in clumps and still dealing with "stomach" issues from gallbladder removal surgery. On the positive side I'm doing better about meeting protein and water goals and taking my vitamins, so yay? 🤷‍♀️
      · 0 replies
    • BeanitoDiego

I've hit a stall 9 months out. I'm not worried, though. My fitness levels continue to improve and I have nearly accomplished my pre-surgery goal of learning to scuba dive! One dive left to complete to get my PADI card 🐠
      I was able to go for a 10K/6mile hike in the mountains two days ago just for the fun of it. In the before days, I might have attempted this, but it would have taken me 7 or 8 hours to complete and I would have been exhausted and in pain for the next two days. Taking my time with breaks for snacks and water, I was finished with my wee jaunt in only 4 hours 😎 and really got to enjoy photographing some insects, fungi, and turtles.
      · 1 reply
      1. BabySpoons

Amazing! Congrats!!! Watch out for the sharks. 🦈

• Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches