Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone over age 45 with big lb. loss to report?

After attending the introductory seminar at the hospital where I plan/hope to get my lap band the surgeon said just one thing that put a damper on my spirits. She said that the only group that doesn't lose weight or not too much but have health benefits are post menopausal woman. Of course..... I am 48 but still pre menopausal.

Anyone out there over age 45 that can proudly boast a good loss and put these statistics to bed?? Anyone...:help:

I'm close, 43, had surgery one year ago this month and have lost 80 pounds. Not the fastest in the world but I'm getting there. Good luck.

Check out the thread "How is weight loss for those over 50". You'll see some great success stories. As for me, I'm 52 and have lost 99 pounds since June '06 without exercising.

Thanks for the great thread recommendation CAthy~! Awesome...beach you've given me new hope and Jack...well jack yur too funny and I mean that in the "you made me laugh this morning way and thank you!" ;=0 You men you get all the breaks..

Jack is a hoot morning, noon or night, lol. If I get down and out I just go read some of his threads and then my day always goes better. That's one guy I would love to meet and smart too.

After attending the introductory seminar at the hospital where I plan/hope to get my lap band the surgeon said just one thing that put a damper on my spirits. She said that the only group that doesn't lose weight or not too much but have health benefits are post menopausal woman. Of course..... I am 48 but still pre menopausal.

Anyone out there over age 45 that can proudly boast a good loss and put these statistics to bed?? Anyone...:help:

Sooverit,

I'm 46 and had my surgery when I was 44 and have lost 129.5 pounds so far. I'm not post-menopausal, still dealing with peri-menopause. I think you can lose the weight no matter where you are with your hormones. It's just a matter of using your tool correctly. One of the life-style changes that has helped me the most with weight loss is EXERCISE! After all, it's a mathematical equation, burn-off more calories than you take in. You have to decide what WLS is right for YOU! Good Luck!

I'm 63, have lost 151 lbs in the past 15 months. I think some of us 'older girls' are more motivated than some young ones. We aren't just trying to get into a sexier pair of jeans.....we are trying to save our lives.

Welllllllllllll I AM post-menopausal and 53. I was banded 1/29/07 and my pre-surg weight was 331 and I'm 5'2". As of last Thursday I've lost 66 pounds. I knew I had to do something or I was going to be miserable the rest of my life or dead. Choosing to have the band is the best thing I've ever done for myself.

I'm 45, female, and I've lost 83 lbs since December 06.

Your band surgeon is WRONG.

Hi Sooverit,

I am 47 and weighed 393.5 lbs on March 24th. I was already in the process of getting approval for my surgery while at this great weight. I have been banded since May 4th and I am down 56.7 lbs. I feel great! There is a woman in my local support group that had surgery on Mar 2nd and she is down 86 lbs. She is in her 50's. The main thing to remember is that the band is a tool. Believe me when I say that if I can be helped by the band that anyone can!!

harleq

You girls R O C K!! What great stats! You've all made my day. I just can't hear enough of these stories from ya all ...It's just really great to hear about people being brave, taking the bull by the horns, doing something about a problem and not only turning around your life but saving it too! I am thinking positive now and hoping to post mine by December 07 ...I will be banded and down 50 lbs! Best to everyone!

Your doc really doesn't seem to know a great deal about band stats. Does she specialize in bypass, by any chance? The docs that are pro-bypass really honestly do not know enough about the band and standard results. If she does more bypass then I understand, if she does more band then shame on her.

I know more 40 year olds that are banded than I do 20 year olds and with the exception of one that eats (literally) 2000 calories a day in Chocolate/sugar alone, everyone is doing great.

Consider this... if you were to opt for bypass within 18 months to 5 years intestinal tissue starts to grow back and you can absorb fat and calories again. Never nutrition, but fat and calories. This is why so many bypass patients regain weight and are again depending on diet and exercise.

With the band if you aren't losing well and it is because you eat too large of a quantity of food, you get a fill.

Easy as that.

Not saying banding is easy, it isn't. But it is the kind of hard WE can do unlike chronic diet and exercise. ;)

I had my band 3/16/07 - age 47 at the time, now 48.............perimenopausal, for sure. Down 42 pounds, and very happy. Go for it! And, good luck! :-)

Kelly: You were banded on my birthday the day I turned 48, it's great to hear your great weight loss!

BB: The doctor at my seminar, Doc. Dr. Ren who is amoung a handful of doc's nationwide, who were the first to perform the operations during the FDA trials in Europe, said the band was first used only 13 years ago...I thought it was longer than that? What she actually said was that "Older woman (what ever that meant and wish I could have asked her to define "older") who were post menopausal did not lose weight as often but did gain the healthy benefits.

Kelly: You were banded on my birthday the day I turned 48, it's great to hear your great weight loss!

BB: The doctor at my seminar, Doc. Dr. Ren who is amoung a handful of doc's nationwide, who were the first to perform the operations during the FDA trials in Europe, said the band was first used only 13 years ago...I thought it was longer than that? What she actually said was that "Older woman (what ever that meant and wish I could have asked her to define "older") who were post menopausal did not lose weight as often but did gain the healthy benefits.

The band hasn't really been around very long. Inamed was approved for use in Mexico in 1991, it wouldn't be FDA approved for use in the US until 2001. FDA trials were of course, earlier.

I still don't understand why a band surgeon would tell you that. Inamed doesn't agree with that thinking, not sure why they would tell you such nonsense. The benefits of banding are a direct result of weight loss. If this group of women don't lose weight, what are the benefits? It just makes no sense to me.