Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

International Travels - Fears and Concerns

In about ten days I'm taking a week long trip to Paris and London. I'm really excited but I'm also really anxious. I've taken several trips since surgery, but this will be the first one where I won't really be able to make any of my meals. I keep meticulous record of all of the calories I consume, my Protein, sugar, etc, and the way I do that is by making 90% of my food and by knowing the exact nutritional breakdown of what's in the other 10%. I also weigh and measure everything (except for those rare occasions when I go out to eat.) I don't feel comfortable whipping out my food scale at a fancy Parisian restaurant and, especially in Paris, I may not be able to read ingredients because I don't speak French. I'm also anxious because on one hand I don't want to have to be hyper vigilant about eat, but on the other, my weight loss has definitely slowed dramatically and as I get closer to my year "surgiversary" I feel like time is running out. I know that sounds odd, but I have this weird idea in my head that the surgery is going to stop being an effective tool once I hit that year mark. Logically I know there is no shadowy figure waiting to flip a switch to turn of my weight loss on February 10th, but it's an irrational fear I can't seem to shake. I also won't be able to exercise as intensely as I do now - I'll be doing a lot of walking, but as my itinerary is packed from dawn til dusk, I doubt I'll be able to do any actual cardio or strength training. Does anyone have any advice about how to eat when all of your meals are made by someone else? I'm planning on bringing a stack of Quest bars and all of my Vitamins. Any advice on how to soothe my other anxieties?

Your sleeve is forever. This isn't a diet where you will be "done" one day. If you can't track your food for 2 weeks, it's not the end of the world. Try to make smart decisions, but also make sure you don't ruin an amazing trip by being super stressed out! You have your ENTIRE LIFE with the sleeve. Even if you stop losing or (HORROR!) even GAIN weight in these two weeks, what will it matter in the grand scheme of things? Certainly don't let it be an excuse to fall back into unhealthy habits, but you should enjoy yourself and not worry so much!

Edit: Oops, I see you had bypass, not sleeve. Anyway, the point still stands. Your pouch isn't going to just flip off like a switch at the one year mark. You have it forever as long as you treat it well and work to maintain it.

I honestly think you are worrying too much, don't let your worries ruin such a fabulous vacation! I am green with envy.

The best thing you can do is listen closely to your pouch. When you are full, stop. Try your best to select mostly good choices but don't be afraid to indulge either. You are going to be very very busy and I am certain you will burn more than you think.

Oh, and get the idea out of your head that your surgery will stop being effective at the 1 year mark. It is your tool for life. I am nearly 16 months post op bypass and still losing albeit slowly.

Your pouch will work restricting your intake for life. It is up to you to put good choices into it. Given how vigilant you are, I don't think you are going to have a problem.

Have an absolute blast on your vacation. Have I said I am green with envy?

Oh, make sure you drink tons of Water. That is the hardest part of travel period.

It's only a week!!!! Don't do this to yourself. Put aside the rest of the negativity 'cause it just ain't so. Weight loss is weight loss regardless of its rate.

I understand that it's common for rate of weight loss to slow about a year after bypass. If that is correct, you're right where you should be. You're in good shape.

You've planned a lovely trip out of season, which makes it even nicer. Don't spoil it in advance with fussing over nothing. In the words of the immortal Betty Boop, "Boop-oop-a-doop." Have fun, eat good-tasting food and just remember what sorts of things don't sit well with bypass.

You'll be fine. Don't even think of putting a scale on the table. If you do whip it out, you're honor-bound to bring me an expensive gift.

Edited by WLSResources/ClothingExch

@@JamieLogical @@Djmohr thanks guys. I know that I'm probably way too in my head about this. I think part of it is that I'm just ready to be done with losing and to finally be at goal. I think part of the reason it's been easy for me to stay so disciplined and vigilant is because it was working really well. I've lost 190 pounds in less than a year. But I worry that it will be a lot harder to stay disciplined and vigilant as my weight loss slows. It is far easier for me to work hard when the results are good than when I have to fight for every ounce lost.

Edited by Indieflickers

If you're worried about not know what's in your food, you could make a list of French words for common foods and keep that with you. That would at least give you some idea of what you're ordering. Or not ordering, if you include things you don't want to eat on your list. Or find some online site that you could use w/ your cell phone to translate.

@@bunyip that's a really good idea. I need to find a good translation app.

Paris. Seriously. Paris! Stop worrying, and prepare to enjoy a glorious trip. Stop obsessing about every bite that goes in your mouth, or you will miss out on SO much of this wonderful experience.

You will be busy every moment. Enjoy knowing that your pouch limits you to not overindulging, but enjoy every sip and bite you take while you're there. You will probably find that you continue to lose while you're gone - I always have in Europe, partly because of walking absolutely everywhere. Your senses will be completely filled with all that is Paris, and you likely won't even think much about food.

You've lost 190 lbs. Think of this trip as a lovely reward for yourself. You will doubtless have the joy of fitting MUCH more comfortably in the airplane seat!

Plan to buy yourself something - a scarf, a pair of leather gloves, something that makes you feel special and absolutely Parisian. It can be your anchor for shedding the pounds that remain until maintenance.

Bonne chance!

Edited by 2goldengirl

Concentrate on the basics. These are Protein, Vitamins and fluids. food is secondary. It looks like you are prepared with Quest Protein Bars and Vitamins. So the next category is fluids.

When I went to Europe several decades ago, I could not drink the Water - instant diarrhea. In Europe many people drink wine. The alcohol in wine kills the bacteria. But after RNY surgery, wine is a poor choice. So the best choice is Water that has been boiled. This is one of the reasons why tea and coffee make a good choice. Stay away from tap water and buy bottle water or bring along a small portable ceramic water filter.

@@2goldengirl that's an excellent way of looking at it! And it is actually a sort of reward trip from my brother. He had a business trip in Paris so he offered to take me. And since I've always been a HUGE Anglophile, we're going to London too.

The portions in Europe are generally smaller than American portions. The quality of ingredients and the food are generally better as well. I don't think you really have much to worry about. Relax and enjoy your trip.

@@2goldengirl that's an excellent way of looking at it! And it is actually a sort of reward trip from my brother. He had a business trip in Paris so he offered to take me. And since I've always been a HUGE Anglophile, we're going to London too.

London. Be still my beating heart. I absolutely adore London. and absolutely more walking everywhere. When I was there, I invariably needed to use a tube station with a nonworking escalator. This was nearly fifteen years ago, and I remember only having the time for two meals a day because I was trying to see a month's worth of London in just over a week. I ate anything I wanted to, enjoyed it immensely, and came home 5 lbs. lighter.

If you enjoy architecture, both St. Martin in the Field and St. Paul's church have cafe's in the crypts. I actually had a meal in both, I thought t was a gas to have a meal in a crypt. St. Martin in the Field does a lot of concerts and jazz on Wednesday evenings in the crypt itself.

Am headed to Mexico tomorrow for a week with some of the same concerns! Am bringing Protein powder, Vitamins, Protein Bars. Am planning to eat eggs, refried Beans, fish, cheese (am a pescatarian). Wish me luck!

@@2goldengirl great suggestions! I'll have to look into both those places. I'm going to try and cram a months worth of sight seeing into about 3 1/2 days!

@@JenniferP1 good luck!!

Plan to buy yourself something - a scarf, a pair of leather gloves, something that makes you feel special and absolutely Parisian.

Remember not to forget mine, too (see above). My dearest friend is in Rome this week and has been enlisted to bring me something very, very expensive. You, IndieFlickers, should make mine merely expensive, as we've only just met. I do need gloves, y'know. Bespoke gloves..