Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How to prepare your body for surgery!

I don't know if getting some working out in is better or not. I just feel like I need to give this my absolute best. So I'm trying to lose as much as I can. I don't see many stories of people over 400 lbs getting this and I'm right on the edge. Makes me nervous about the risks of my heart stopping. I've always been very active. Even participating in 5ks. I just want to be strong enough to maneuver myself afterwards I guess lol.

I was 412 day of surgery. 414 was my highest weight. I had an absolutely easy and painfree surgical experience. I was achy & sore but not ever truly in pain.

I've never had sugery before so I'm nervous about the sugery and all prep and being put to sleep really don't know what to expect sorta nervous

I hope you read the previous post. They had some really great info. What you can expect is:

• Check in day of surgery, get arm bands, etc... then you sit in a waiting room until they call you back.
  • The surgeon and medical team (anesthesiologist, etc...) may come out and introduce themselves. A nurse will give you an IV and have you put on a gown. When it's time you most likely will walk into the OR. Some hospitals wheel you in, but walking is not uncommon.
  • The OR will look a little intimidating. Keep in mind OR's are set up to accommodate a lot of various types of surgery. Not all the equipment is for you, but there will be a lot.
  • You will get on the operating table. It will look tiny.
  • There will be 3 or 4 people in the OR, if students are allowed maybe one more. They will likely be gowned and masked.
  • They will clip a pulse oximeter on your finger, a blood pressure cuff and hook the IV up. *I recommend practicing taking slow, deep breathes to help calm and center you. This is the point where people sometimes get nervous and the deep breathing can help that.
  • They put the mask on your face and ask you to start counting backwards. You will be out quickly.
  • After that you wake up in recovery. You will feel like you slept 5 minutes. If you are like me, you feel really refreshed. Propofol is typically used for this type of surgery and there's a reason why Michael Jackson was addicted to it. Some sleeve patients wake up in pain. If you do, let your team know and they can help with meds to control it.

In prep for post-op life I recommend:

• Practice walking and increasing how far and how long you can walk. If you can also strengthen your core.
  • Eating very slowly (30 mins or more with each meal) and taking super tiny bites & swallows.
  • Quit sodas & caffeine.

Thanks for advice I feel a little better now I guess just ready to be done with sug. And start my new journey in life can't wait to lose weight and enjoy life in my new body

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• BeanitoDiego

I've hit a stall 9 months out. I'm not worried, though. My fitness levels continue to improve and I have nearly accomplished my pre-surgery goal of learning to scuba dive! One dive left to complete to get my PADI card 🐠
      I was able to go for a 10K/6mile hike in the mountains two days ago just for the fun of it. In the before days, I might have attempted this, but it would have taken me 7 or 8 hours to complete and I would have been exhausted and in pain for the next two days. Taking my time with breaks for snacks and water, I was finished with my wee jaunt in only 4 hours 😎 and really got to enjoy photographing some insects, fungi, and turtles.
      Just for fun last week, I ran two 5Ks in two days, something I would have never done in the past! Next goal is a 10K before the end of this month.
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • Teriesa

Hi everyone, I wrote back in May about having no strength. I still get totally exhausted just walking from room to room, it’s so bad I’m using a walker with wheels of all things. I had the gastric sleeve Jan. 24th. I’m doing exactly what the programs says, except protein shakes. I have different meats and protein bars daily, including vitamins daily. I do drink my fluids as well.  I go in for IV hydration 4 days a week and feel ok just til evening.  So far as of Jan 1st I’ve dropped 76 lbs. I just want to enjoy the weight lose. Any suggestions or has anyone else gone thru this??  Doctor says just increase calorie intake, still the same. 
      · 0 replies
    • Stone Art By SKL

Decorative Wall Cladding & Panels | Stone Art By SKL
      Elevate your space with Stone Art By SKL's decorative wall claddings & panels. Explore premium designs for timeless elegance.
      · 0 replies
    • Clueless_girl

Losing my hair in clumps and still dealing with "stomach" issues from gallbladder removal surgery. On the positive side I'm doing better about meeting protein and water goals and taking my vitamins, so yay? 🤷‍♀️
      · 0 replies
    • BeanitoDiego

I've hit a stall 9 months out. I'm not worried, though. My fitness levels continue to improve and I have nearly accomplished my pre-surgery goal of learning to scuba dive! One dive left to complete to get my PADI card 🐠
      I was able to go for a 10K/6mile hike in the mountains two days ago just for the fun of it. In the before days, I might have attempted this, but it would have taken me 7 or 8 hours to complete and I would have been exhausted and in pain for the next two days. Taking my time with breaks for snacks and water, I was finished with my wee jaunt in only 4 hours 😎 and really got to enjoy photographing some insects, fungi, and turtles.
      · 1 reply
      1. BabySpoons

Amazing! Congrats!!! Watch out for the sharks. 🦈

• Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches