Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Baby I'm back, back, back on the CPAP

Well, for those of you celebrating with me over breaking up with the sleep machine, we are back together again. I love the concept but it turns out I was waking up frequently, gasping and all the rest. It may be that I am with this thing for the duration. Last week I was really dragging, pain index high (I have arthritis) and just not feeling "myself." Well, I think that can all be attributed to poor sleep. I went back on the CPAP two nights ago and have had a complete turnaround. Plus my husband is happy as I'm not waking him up now, so there's that. My plan for now is to lose ten more pounds then go back for another sleep study to make sure the machine is tuned to my new body and working optimally. That's the update! An NSV Take-Backsie but I am still one happy woman.

It's a process, right? That's how I feel after I went back on a second blood pressure med this month. I was so sure that particular rx was a thing of the past. Oh well. I need to maintain a normal BP, and you need to sleep. Taking good care of ourselves isn't always done exactly how we would want it , but we have to do it.

I am sorry you are disappointed, but please use it if you need it.

Maybe like many other people who have sleep apnea, it's not caused by obesity. Not everyone who has it is obese.

Or, you just aren't at a point where you can completely stop using it.

When I saw my sleep doctor about a month after surgery, he switched me to an automatic machine that automatically adjusts pressure. Have you tried one of those?

@@Inner Surfer Girl thank you, I will look into that! My machine is pretty old at this point and I'll bet there is all sorts of new technology available.

I would definitely try the auto route. That way if you need it, it adjusts for you.

i asked my surgeon if i would "shrink out" of my cpap. he said probably. however, he knows a marathoner w/ 10% body fat on cpap. it is an airway issue, too, not just weight. so i will do whatever is best for my health, now and as i reach my goals.

adjustable pressure machine sounds interesting.

I know I've had sleep apnea since college and I was thin. So I'm not expecting anything earth shattering changes with my Cpap. I just wish someone asked me about my sleep since I've had issues since the 80's. When I was having a procedure I had to be incubated since I stopped breathing and was told to be tested for sleep apnea

Edited by wincha

My son is a college middle-distance runner (4:03 miler), and he's been on CPAP since he was 13... Not an extra pound on that kid. Sometimes, it is what it is...

I've seen TV ads for a new sleep apnea treatment. It works like a pacemaker and is imbedded in your body. In reading the literature the negative was you couldn't get an mri while you are wearing one in your body.

@@SassyNanny whoah, a bit scary -- but hey, who would have thought of weight loss surgery years ago and here I am so happy with this newfangled thing on my stomach.