Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone waffle between getting the surgery or not?

One day I'm solid in my decision to get surgery, and then I'll read something about losing weight with

For example

Garcinia Cambrisia..

and I'll think.. Maybe I should get surgery..

And then I'll think

But no matter what the sleeve is a tool that will make it all easier..

Could I get your feedback please?

One day I'm solid in my decision to get surgery, and then I'll read something about losing weight with

For example

Garcinia Cambrisia..

And then I'll think

There are no magic pills or potions that will make you lose weight. Especially not any sold OTC or on a late nigh infomercial. I tried my share of diet, but never even bothered with these so called herbal supplements.

As to having doubts about surgery. NOPE not a single one. I think by the time I admitted to myself I needed this I knew it was what I needed to do. Through all my testing I never once wavered in that conviction right up to surgery day.

Ask yourself how many times you have tried to lose weight with the latest new diet. Ask yourself how successful you have been. Ask yourself how many times you have lost significant weight and kept it off. Not bashing, just being honest....because I asked myself those same questions. You have the answers.

I tried it all....low fat, low carb, weight watchers, Atkins, slim fast. Lose some weight, always hungry, gain it back with more. The sleeve has made it possible for me to lose 75 pounds and maintain it. I never, ever thought I would be able to that in my lifetime battle with my weight.

Good luck in whatever you decide.

I've seen a lot of back-and-forth posts from you. It's a huge decision and deserves a lot of careful thought.

If there were an herbal supplement or diet pill that really WORKED, we'd know it by now. I saw my PCP yesterday, and she put it very well: as far as she's concerned, WLS is the definitive treatment for obesity. That said, to be successful in that definitive treatment, each of us has to be willing to change: our habits, our thinking, and our priorities.

It's a daunting prospect, until I think about this: I've been fighting with my body over weight issues since the 1960's. I'm relaistic enough to know that a year from now, without surgery, I may have lost some weight. I may be fitter. But I will still be significantly overweight. I will still have high blood pressure. I may (by that time) have diabetes. And I will be a year older.

With surgery, a year from now, I will be thinner than I've been in more than 30 years. That's half my life. Am I willing to tackle the changes I've mentioned, knowing that the surgery will give me probably the most powerful tool I've ever had in my hands? You bet I am.

I can't tell you what to decide, but I can tell you to be very, very honest with yourself. I've spent years on the yo-yo diet roller coaster because I wasn't always honest with myself about how much each little choice throughout my day mattered. Be honest with yourself about what got you here. And be honest with yourself about what you are and aren't prepared to do about it.

Good luck, whatever you decide.

Thanks guys..

I wrote in another thread.

I've tried em all.. And like most..

I can lose the weight..

I hate feeling hungry tho.

I can also gain 30-40 pounds in a few months! Especially over Christmas.. And for me, "I'll start tomorrow" seems to be my mantra.

I even had a dream last night about going ahead and having the surgery..

Sure. I waffled back and forth........until I had a stroke caused by my high blood pressure caused by my 53" waist.

Once I got to the point, I decided surgery was the solution, I never doubted my decision. I also made my surgery happen fast start of process to surgery was about 8 weeks. I didn't want to have a lot of time to have road blocks pop up.

i waffled back and forth. I tried the garcinia stuff, the raspberry keytones, the green coffee, prescription pills, nutrisystem, weight watchers, jenny craig, counting calories on my own. Until I could barely fit in my car, and could barely walk up the stairs to my apartment.

Thanks.. Yah that's fast.. It'll be about 10 weeks for me..

I've done all those too..

I'm following the plan Kaiser gave me . I have 12 more pounds of the 20 the surgeon requires me to lose

For example

Garcinia Cambrisia..

And then I'll think

You'll know when you are truly ready.

Until then.....there are tons of pills, plans and schemes to attempt and see how well you can do with them.

When you are ready.....you'll know it.

I think it is safe to say we have all been there with you. I tried for two years prior to my surgery to lose weight. I was walking 6 miles in the morning and 6 miles in the evening and I was still failing. I realized it was time to take serious action because although I tried, I would lose weight then gain back even more.

I on a whim decided to do the gastric sleeve surgery. My insurance would not cover it. I then looked to Mexico to save money and I had enough money on hand to do it. I used airline miles for the plane ticket there and back and I paid for the surgery with my Visa Card just to be on the safe side.

I went a step further and worried about being off of work for to long so I also took out a signature loan of $4000.00 to have in my account just in case something happened. So I covered myself every step of the way.

We would love to be able to take a pill and lose the weight but it is a short term answer to a long term problem. The Surgery is something I have no regrets doing and I wish it was available 10 years ago. I have more energy now than ever and heck, 1 year ago I would never have seen myself where I am today. Since my surgery I have tripled my business size, have gone on to get married, buy a house and now we are about to open another new business which is a huge undertaking but I'm ready for it. I attribute this all to my energy levels. Before I had no energy and I was fat and I wasn't happy with myself. I'm 32. My husband is 23. He is thin and in shape, goes with me to the gym everyday for personal training and has got in better shape because of me eating differently and doing the personal training... but I still have more energy than he does.

The Sleeve is indeed a tool. You will lose a lot of weight without trying, but once you lose that amount of weight, you will find you want to push yourself more and if you change your lifestyle and eating habits, you will find the sleeve is an amazing tool and I doubt you will ever find yourself regrets getting the surgery. If you are paying cash or don't want to wait another day, try Mexico. I was able to get in within about a week or so of deciding I was doing this. Locally Doctors wanted me to go through this expensive six month program etc etc. All I heard from them was excuses and ways to charge me more money.

Never wavered once. Oh I've no doubt I could lose weight on my own. I was equally positive that I couldn't keep it off on my own.