Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello. I am a 45-year-old female from Birmingham, Alabama. I am currently scheduled to have the gastric sleeve on December 18, 2015, pending final approval. I can't believe I let myself get to this point. Over the years I was focused on finishing college and starting my career, then with some ups and downs of life added in...a car accident in which left me with the inability to walk for almost a year, caring for my mother who battled cancer and my sister who fell ill suddenly, both of whom died within 11 months of each other, then a brother who became ill and died at an early age....etc, etc....food became my comfort, and I eventually hit my highest weight of 280 last month. I have tried Weightwatchers three times, losing up to about 20 lbs each time, only to gain it back plus some. I've tried LA Weightloss....oh, my the money I spent on that program is just ridiculous! I've been a member of a gym for most of my adult life...thousands of dollars for that.

I went to my PCP about a month ago, and she suggested I check into the sleeve. I was extremely hesitant, but with the words MORBIDLY OBESE constantly on my mind, I decided to do some research as well as listen to other people's stories on YouTube.

I am excited as well as nervous. I've shared this with three people close to me and also a coworker. However, I sort of regret sharing with the coworker because I'm scared that I will fail at this. I'm scared that I won't be able to adjust my eating habits. I'm the person that has to have dessert... I am addicted to sugar. I'm scared that I won't lose weight or even worse that I will stretch my new stomach.

Thank you for taking the time to read my story. Please share any tips or advice. It's great to have a place to commuinic with others who are on the same journey. :)

@@280journey

That's quite a back-story you have...

I'll not focus on it tho...

It's time for positives...

So what I will say is congratulations on making this decision...

In a short amount of time, I'm quite sure that this will be something you look back on with so much positivity and joy that you'll not regret anything...

Of course, there are still battles ahead for you...

But really, these battles are nothing compared to what you've been thru and are nothing compared to where you're going...

Welcome to you, and I look forward to seeing your questions, updates, rants etc in the future...

Think positive. You made a wonderful decision, and the positives will in time overtake the negatives with a little help from your own efforts. Your pre-op probably hasn't begun yet, but now would be a great time to kiss some of those old "necessities" goodbye and start clean eating...mainly because this will help you with the much stricter pre-op diet you will follow and then of course with the early stage post-op diet. The surgery will help you beat back the cycle of retaliation your body (and all of our bodies) has programmed to prevent us from attaining health. Meanwhile, the mental changes need to occur on your own, otherwise, you'll be left with a thinner version of your old self. Years down the road, if these outside factors aren't addressed, then coupled with the fact that some eating capacity will have returned (though nowhere close to current levels), you risk falling back into old patterns. Exercise helps clear your head as well, and will eventually be required for you to maintain your weight once you reach your goal. Happy trails, and a warm welcome to the community!

Just wanted to let you know that I was also a sugar addict. It's basically all I ate. Craving were out of this world crazy strong. Since I was sleeved July 22nd my taste has changed do much. It's not even an issue any more. I have been successful so far- down 84lbs since the 2 week pre op diet. I think you'll do AWESOME!!

Oh, I forgot to add that I'm having my endoscope in the morning. I was told they give you numbing medicine for your nose and throat and that the procedure only lasts a few minutes.

Congrats on making the decision to change your life. You will not regret it. You will be able to have your much loved sweets eventually just not for awhile. Once you start losing weight for good, you will be much happier. I will never regret giving up food that was killing me. A little food goes goes a long way these days. I still eat a bite of a sweet treat now and again. No its not on my meal plan but I don't deny myself anything. I'm afraid of I do, I'll just say screw it and give up. Good luck on your journey.

Congratulations on deciding to have the surgery.

I wish I had done it years ago!!

Welcome aboard! Congratulations on taking positive steps to recover from obesity.

You've had a LOT of losses. And it sounds as though you've lost confidence in yourself along the way. If you are not currently getting counseling, I'd really recommend it. The people who are the most successful with WLS are those who really commit to themselves - they believe they deserve success and health and work hard every day to make it happen. You deserve the same thing. Learning to deal with your feelings without turning to food is another tool to use, just as the sleeve is.

My PCP told me the other day that she believes that WLS is "the definitive treatment for obesity". I really like that term. Good luck to you!

I'm scheduled for VSG in Birmingham on December 10. Are you going to AWLS? I'm seeing Dr Miles.

Hey there! So for the late reply....just really learning how to maneuver through this forum....lol! No, I'm having surgery with Advanced Surgical WLS.

Your surgery is in three days! Best of luck to you! Keep me posted!