Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Surgery in 9 days. Starting to get nervous.

Hi all! I've been checking in here and there since I started this process and have learned a lot from the posts. I'm 49, happily married with 2 grown daughters. My surgery is scheduled for 10/26/15 at Anne Arundel Medical Center in Annapolis Maryland with Dr. Alex Gandsas. I got my email yesterday saying my final approval came through from my insurance company. Talk about mixed emotions! I was happy that piece is done, but now the anxiety is kicking in. I'm a nurse so I'm sure some of it comes from understanding the risks from any surgery. Pre op diet is going well, it hasn't been too hard. Any pre op tips or things you wish you had known before surgery?

I do believe we've all been where you are(mixed feelings) just pray about it and leave it in god's hands. I was sleeved on 9/25/15 currently down 18lbs and I'm so happy with my decision, not to mention I haven't had no problems(not one)???? best of luck!!

Hey I'm in MD also going through UMMC with Mark kligman its been interesting so far

@ MzStockton glad to hear you did well with no problems. These last few days are the worst.

@ do you have a date yet or still getting through all the testing? My PCP gave me Dr. Kligman name but Anne Arundel was so much closer for me.

I just have to get through the weekend! Surgery on Monday.

@@Live42day right now I'm just doing the nutritionist classes I'm on month 3 after month 4 I will get all my tests done

@Live43day you are going to do great.

Your medical knowledge from your professional training will help you understand the science behind the diet and importance of following your surgeon's plan.

Things I'd wished I known ahead of time:

*There is nothing magical about the surgery. You have it and you follow the plan. Hunger isn't much of a factor later on and it make following the simple diet extremely easy.

*There will likely be some weight gain during your brief hospital stay. It's not that you've done a thing in the world wrong and nobody is going to bark at you for it. It's just a few pounds and it come off QUICKLY. It's nothing more than IV, Fluid retention and some mild inflammation. Don't let it freak you out or bother you in any way. Mine was 8+ pounds and it was gone by the 6th day. It's expected and your surgeon sees it all the time.

*Let the rest of the family be responsible for their own meals. Don't pull yourself into to kitchen if you don't need to be. Let them take care of themselves for a couple weeks and you just stick to your plan. It's not being antisocial.....it's just you keeping things simple for right now.

*Walking is your friend. I was up 4 hours after surgery and didn't really want to be. My only reason was the soreness and pain from an umbilical hernia repair done at the time of my bypass, too. The sleeve never bothered me. Still hasn't at Day 11, either. The walking will help work out any residual gas you may have.

*sleep as well as you can the 2 nights leading up to the surgery because it seems like their job in the hospital is to keep you awake. I kid you not they were in there taking my temp, checking my vitals or doing some task every few minutes....all night long. Funny stuff.

*Don't get worked up about the surgery. Stay calm. It's going to go well. Some folks have anxiety because they are having "elective" surgery for weight loss. For me it was simple as I'd already had three prior weight related surgeries: ankle tendon repair that was blown out playing golf (heavy weight made it much worse on that ankle) and two umbilical hernia repairs (too dang heavy and big around the middle). More weight related surgeries would certainly follow over the years ahead if I didn't get the weight off. I was finally IN CONTROL by having this sleeve surgery. Taking a positive step to get things corrected. Yeah....I reached a nice calm state the days leading up to the surgery.

*Sipping vs gulping. I'd read all about it....heard all about it.....didn't understand the concept at any real level unit post-op. A sip is a small amount. This little nugget of understanding took me some time to grasp. Even now....at Day 11, I reach for my Water glass and without thinking I'll take a huge swig out of it.....then stop and not swallow it but allow it to trickle down my throat. It's becoming an adopted behavior. So glad I haven't had to face the same principles while eating due to remaining on the "3 shakes per day" diet. I'll have to figure out eating in a few weeks. Glad I don't for now.

*The scale is not broken. I'm a daily weigher. Most here don't advise it....nor do I. I simply can't not weigh. I'm stupid that way. :D During the early days in my bariatric program I bought a really nice scale. It's always read within ounces of what my doctor's scales read. It also talks. Leading up to the surgery I'd hope on it in the mornings and get my reading and roll along with it. Now.....sorry, I'm laughing right now as I type this......now, I get on it....get my reading....and shake my head and say no way, this thing is broken. I'll let it turn off. I'll restart it....zero it.....and then get on it again for a second....and third reading. The weight loss during the pre-op 14 day diet and post-op has been at a rate I'm not familiar with.....even when I was killing it on Atkins a few years ago. It will amaze you.

@ Dub Thanks for all the info.Lots of good advice. You're not kidding about the pre op diet. I started doing Protein Shakes for Breakfast and lunch about a month ago, then just a reasonable dinner. The last 2 weeks have been the same but just a lean Protein and vegetable for dinner. Had a headache for the first couple days but otherwise no problem sticking to it. I've lost around 20 lbs with that. Anxiety definitely kicked in last week but not too bad. As a nurse, I know the walking part is always helpful. I've had 2 c-sections and was walking within hours so I know how that helps. I had to laugh about the sleeping in the hospital, I know it feels like hospital staff wait until you just dose off and then want to do something to you. Lol. I appreciate the post and I hope things keep going great for you also. Guess the ride is just beginning.