Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Did your energy improve?

As you lost weight did your energy improve? When did you start seeing any improvement in energy levels?

I am 50 years old and about 100 pounds overweight and have been overweight my entire life since the age of eight! It seems like the last few years the excess weight has really started taking it's toll on my energy levels. I am really hoping that once the weight starts coming off I will feel more energetic physically, I will feel like doing more, and things will be easier to do physically. I would love to hear your stories about energy and getting around and getting things done once the weight started coming off.

Honestly, my energy started to improve within days of starting the pre-op diet. About two weeks out from surgery I had another surge that has not stopped. I honestly think it is about 50% or less to do with the actual weight loss and the majority of my energy is simply me waking up from my carbohydrate induced coma and doing the Protein thing. Seriously within about 3 days most of my knee pain went away. My knees have not really bothered me at all since surgery.

My energy level has always been okay, even pre op when I was doing the liver reduction diet, I had tons of energy.

Post op was very different though, it took me a good 6 weeks to feel back to 'normal'.

My energy started to improve within days of the surgery. Now tha I am 9 weeks out it is incredible how much more energy I have! I work 5-6 night a week 12-14 hr shifts and I am a single mother. On my days off before the surgery I had to spend sleeping because I was so freaking exhausted. Now- wow! I spend my days off just going going going! I do fun stuff with my kids, shop, go out to eat- just a ton of stuff!!

I did not expect this. I really thought my job was just taking a huge toll on me but really it was the excess weight.

I'm only two months out from bypass and 54. I can tell you that even at this early stage the difference in energy levels is staggering.

I remember before surgery that I would sometimes just marvel at how "anchored" I felt to the earth. Like I was moving throughout my day with cement galoshes! Each step was near agony. Even the effort it took to turn over in bed was monumental.

I still have a long way to go, but there is definitely a kick in my steps these days!

Edited by The Post Op

Definitely. I was 50 when I had my surgery and not only has my energy improved, but my chronic hives are under control for the first time in year! This past year has been the first year in a very long time that I did not have 1 single trip to the ER for IV benedryl treatments. I cannot begin to tell you how huge of a deal this is for me.

OMG!

I've lost 95 pounds. I'm nearly 70 years old.

The resurgence of energy for me has been miraculous. I can walk so far, so fast, so long. It's hardly believable to me.

You're going to LOVE what happens to you. :)

I am 2 months post surgery and 47. My energy levels are just starting to improve (I have lost 45lbs). Hang in there- it will get better!

Not only am I gaining more physical energy, I feel more mentally energized.

Except for about a month post-op when I was in a bit of a fog, I am feeling more optimist, hopeful, and generally energetic.

I credit not only the weight loss but also since my ability to exercise is improving, I have been able to exercise outside a lot this summer.

The combination of sunlight, exercise, and healthy eating are very powerful.

I am 50 and started out 100 lbs overweight. I have found that the 34 lbs i have lost makes doing things easier, but my energy is still low. Need to get some blood work done to get my levels, my vit D may be low. I have faith that i will eventually feel the energy surge people talk about.

The change in energy has been amazing. It wasn't right away for me. I was 51 at the time of surgery. The first few months I felt a little tired. I'm sure I was adjusting and still healing.

Then slowly that all changed. Can't say exactly when. It's not like someone flipped a switch. But I can say at over a year out and now almost 53, I feel like I'm in my 20's.

Best. Thing. Ever.

Edited by amazon

I am only just over 6 weeks out but I'd say I have had tons more energy from week 4.i think it's part weight coming off but also feeling less sluggish from not eating too much I've realized I probably had food in tolerances pre surgery that are now more noticeable such as dairy and onion cutting these out has made a big difference to bloating etc I took before as normal which in turn makes me for energetic.

I'm only 2 months out and I don't quite have my full energy back. I did a 5k with obstacles 2 weeks ago and I was exhausted. I can't wait to have more energy.

I'm 50 and about 6 weeks out. About 10 days postop I hit a tough spot where I couldn't make it through more than 3-4 hours without needing a 20 min nap. I'm over that but energy levels are not better than preop... Yet. I expect they'll get better as I lose more weight and continue to exercise.