Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How many Pills after surgery

I am wondering how many different pills on average people are taking life long after surgery? Is it overwhelming? Expensive? Any info on meds/vitamins after surgery is greatly appreciated!!

my med list looks like this:

morning - 2 Calcium citrate chewables, 1 Multivitamin chewable, 1 iron/b12/folic acid capsule.

evening- 2 calcium citrate chewables, 1 Biotin capsule

I also take 1 krill oil soft gel and birth control, and I am on an antacid for 2 months post surgery (less than a month more to go of those). But those are extras I take for PCOS and post op healing reasons. All in all, not bad at all. My Multivitamins and calcium citrate come from opurity, and I like them a lot and trust the brand, though the Multivitamin is a little too sour tasting for me. The Calcium citrate is berry citrus flavor and it's actually kind of good-tasting.

Hope this helps!

my med list looks like this:

morning - 2 calcium citrate chewables, 1 multivitamin chewable, 1 iron/b12/folic acid capsule.

evening- 2 calcium citrate chewables, 1 Biotin capsule

I also take 1 krill oil soft gel and birth control, and I am on an antacid for 2 months post surgery (less than a month more to go of those). But those are extras I take for PCOS and post op healing reasons. All in all, not bad at all. My Multivitamins and Calcium citrate come from opurity, and I like them a lot and trust the brand, though the multivitamin is a little too sour tasting for me. The calcium citrate is berry citrus flavor and it's actually kind of good-tasting.

Hope this helps!

You're not taking the calcium and multi at the same time are you? They shouldn't be taken together / near Iron.

I am wondering how many different pills on average people are taking life long after surgery? Is it overwhelming? Expensive? Any info on meds/vitamins after surgery is greatly appreciated!!

What surgery are you having? Bypass had more requirements than sleeve.

Initially Vitamins were expensive because of chewables. Once I transitioned to tablets it was much cheaper.

I take

500mg of Calcium, 3x a day

B12 1000mg 3x a week

2 multivitamins a day

Vitamin D 50,000 iu 1x a week

Initially ita overwhelming figuring out spacing, when you can drink/can't drink etc. You get into a routine and it becomes easier.

I found all my Vitamins fairly cheap on Amazon. My surgeon and Primary Care doctor gave me a list of brands they recommended but told me to buy what I could afford. Wal-Mart has decent priced Vitamins and since we have to be on them for the rest of our lives, costco is a great source. You may pay a little more up front going to costco but the overall cost will be much cheaper as most bottles are 3+ month supply.

I take 500mg's of calcium citrate not carbonate, 3x's daily. And this is a little trickier to find considering how much we are told to take daily. A lot of Calcium supplements are not citrate and while they are both ABSORBED effectively, carbonate is harder to digest.

A multi-Vitamin that contains minerals including Iron. Menstruating women are encouraged to take an additional 50 mg's of Iron daily. chewable is preferred.

The Multi-Vitamin and the calcium must be taken two hours apart. I am not totally sure of the reasoning but I am sure it has something to do with absorption. Don't quote me on this and double check with your doctor.

Either 50,000 iu of Vitamin D taken weekly or 5,000 daily. I take one daily.

1,000mg's of B12 three times a week. My doctor suggested they be sublingual. I have some that don't take too long to dissolve and hardly have a taste.

For the first month out of surgery, I must take a 1,000 mg's of Omega-3 w/ DHA and EPA. And it must be liquid. I found a great one on Amazon that will last me over three months and cost me $20. One teaspoon a day gives me more than the required amount.

I take a Multi, B12, D, Iron and calcium citrate. The iron is called blood builder-not very cheap but it is good and I use the Bariatric Advantage chewable Calcium which is also not cheap but the huge citrical pills were hard for me to swallow-gag reflex has always been an issue for me though.

I take 2 chewable MVI(Flintstone or costco brand), 1 Iron 325 mg, 2 chewable Vitamin D, 3 Calcium and a monthly B12 shot. My levels are always good. Even better now that I live in a sunny state. My levels were not as good in Alaska.

My surgeon said no to children's chewable vitamins- I have just started my Vitamins (surgery 9/29)

Am-

1 multivitamin (no iron)

1 Biotin 5000mcg

1 D3 5000iu (I have low vit. D pre-op)

2 calcium citrate + (500mg per tab)

Lunch-

2 iron+vit. C (18mg/ 30mg -per tab) 1 b-12 plus (low Vit. B's pre-op)

PM

1 multivitamin

2 calcium citrate

Depending on my labs I might be able to drop the additions D3, and possibly b-12plus

My starting cost of this line was pricey- $80 after discount on Amazon- brand is Barimelts- I like that they melt in your mouth- no need to chew! ????

It was cheaper than some of the other brand lines I saw on Amazon-

post-249589-14431877189176_thumb.jpg

Thank you all for your help. I have never had to take this many pills daily and am just concerned that it could be overwhelming especially to think it's for the rest of your life. It's a scary life decision.

Thank you all for your help. I have never had to take this many pills daily and am just concerned that it could be overwhelming especially to think it's for the rest of your life. It's a scary life decision.

I haven't either! At least with mine, they melt quick! It doesn't seem like a hassle so far- I took one pill and one inhaler prior before planning on surgery-

Thank you so much for posting this! I have looked for easy to take fits because I know I'll have trouble swallowing, but I also have trouble chewing the chewable vitamins. I found some vitamin patches on Amazon that I'm going to start using tomorrow but I suspect those will irritate my skin at some point. Yay melt on your tongue. $80 doesn't sound all that high for what all you bought.

According to my urologist, calcium citrate is better for your kidneys/bladder but my surgeon's info indicated to get Calcium citrate as well.