Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Maintenance behaviors that keep you successful?

For those of you now fully in maintenance mode and doing well at maintaining your weight, would you please answer these questions?

(EDITED with a hat-tip to @@James Marusek for adding Question 0.)

0. What type of weight loss surgery have you had?

1. How long have you been in maintenance mode?

2. What's your current height and weight?

3. How many calories do you eat daily (on average) to maintain your weight?

4. What kind of focus do you put on Protein -- number of grams or anything else you want to say?

5. What kind of focus do you put on carbs - number of grams or anything else you want to say?

6. What other nutritional tips / tricks are working for you that help you maintain?

7. Which foods, if any, do you avoid altogether?

8. What exercise regimen (exercise types and frequency) do you follow?

9. What role, if any, has counseling or therapy played in your WLS success?

10. What advice would you offer WLS patients to help them be successful?

Great questions and I'm interested in the answers too - although I'm still in the pre-op stage. Still learning all I can.

0. Type of Surgery? RNY

1. How long have you been in maintenance mode? 20 months

2. What's your current height and weight? 5' 7", 150 lbs

3. How many calories do you eat daily (on average) to maintain your weight? around 1500

4. What kind of focus do you put on Protein -- number of grams or anything else you want to say? around 65 grams of Protein per day derived from meals.

5. What kind of focus do you put on carbs - number of grams or anything else you want to say? I avoid like a plague processed sugar (including sugars with calories, such as honey. The exception being sugars found in fruits and milk.) Instead I use artificial sweeteners (Splenda), artificial sweeteners (Stevia and sugar alcohol) and the sugars found in fruits and milk. I try and limit my complex carbs (bread, Pasta etc.) to about one meal a day.

6. What other nutritional tips / tricks are working for you that help you maintain? I rely on fats to avoid hunger. As a result I eat real butter, whole milk and cream, meat other than lean meat. [in the weight loss phase my stomach was cut away and fats caused immediate dumping but after the first year my intestines took up the function of processing fats and I was able to incorporate it into my diet again.]

7. Which foods, if any, do you avoid altogether? Milk shakes, ice cream, any foods with more than 5 grams of processed sugar per serving.

8. What exercise regimen (exercise types and frequency) do you follow? I rely on normal physical activity (manual labor). For example last year I moved 100,000 pounds of gravel by hand and 50,000 pounds of concrete landscaping blocks.

9. What role, if any, has counseling or therapy played in your WLS success? None

10. What advice would you offer WLS patients to help them be successful? The approach to succeed in the weight loss phase is different than the maintenance phase. They need to adapt to the transition or if they follow the same rules, they may begin to put the weight back on.

For those of you now fully in maintenance mode and doing well at maintaining your weight, would you please answer these questions?

14 months

6'. 155.8

1600+. I really have been slack about tracking it lately.

4. What kind of focus do you put on Protein -- number of grams or anything else you want to say?

I still do Protein first! 70 grams a day, at least

5. What kind of focus do you put on carbs - number of grams or anything else you want to say?

I am a carb a holic. I don't track carbs.

6. What other nutritional tips / tricks are working for you that help you maintain?

I weigh myself about every other day. If I get over my safe zone (155-159) I get back to basics

Caffeine

I walk at least 13k steps a day, tracked with a Fitbit.

I go to a weekly WLS group, informal plus the once a month WLS group meeting sponsored by my hospital. This will be led by the hospital nutritionist or by the psychologist, so always a source of good information.

10. What advice would you offer WLS patients to help them be successful

?

Follow your surgeons advise! They are the experts. Introduce foods as directed. Eat your protein first. Don't drink with your meals, but do drink your Water. Don't waste your calories on liquids. Start exercising. Even if it's only 6k steps a day, just move.

Susan

Here are my responses. They're valid for now -- and could change in the future.

Gastric sleeve

3.5 months

5'5" and 144 pounds

I recently found my sweet spot for now - 1,650 calories/day

I eat 100-120 grams of Protein a day. I eat protein first at mealtimes. I get my protein from fowl, fish, meat, dairy, grains and legumes. I don't eat many nuts because they're so high-cal for just a little protein. I do drink a Protein shake most mornings for breakfast; otherwise all my protein comes from "regular" food.

I never went low-carb even during the weight loss phases. These days I eat 150-200 grams of carbs a day. I aim for 5 veggies / fruits a day and make that target about half the time (I need to focus on that more). I am eating more whole grains and very seldom eat processed or white flours. I have dessert about 2-3 times a week and only small amounts.

I plan each day's menus and track all my food and drink using My Fitness Pal, so I am very aware of what I really am eating; no guessing going on here. And I measure my food well, too; again, no guessing going on here.

EDIT: I also weigh every day, but keep my eye most focused on my weekly and monthly weights, which give me a clearer view of my weight trends.

So far, nothing's on the NEVER list. That could change. But I'm VERY leery of chips and crackers. Those crunchy things are dangerous to me!

I do a lot more housecleaning and walking than I used to -- on treadmills, outdoors, in malls, etc. Right now (summertime) I go to the gym only once a week for weight lifting or a bodypump class. This fall I hope our travel schedule calms down a lot and makes a gym schedule easier to follow.

I see a therapist once a month (started a couple months pre-op). He's been great for me in keeping me focused on what I need to pay attention to and become less impulsive.

Don't expect your new sleeve's restriction will change your life permanently. It's a great tool and gives you a great advantage in losing weight fast. But if you don't learn how to make better food and nutrition choices, eat differently (protein first, eat slower), stay well hydrated, choose to move your body a lot more, stop using food to numb your discomforts, stay positive and focused on your goals, etc., you won't be successful long-term. It's not hard to learn these new things. You just have to continue the commitment you made when you decided to have WLS. This is a miracle opportunity to change your lifestyle permanently and be healthy the rest of your life. Please don't waste this miracle.

I am very close to entering the maintenance mode, and for months now as I have gotten closer to my goal weight I have had different feelings about it. These responses have helped me a lot, Thank you all.

0. What type of weight loss surgery have you had? Sleeve

1. How long have you been in maintenance mode? 3 months

2. What's your current height and weight? 5'6" and 145 lbs

3. How many calories do you eat daily (on average) to maintain your weight? Don't count them at the moment.

4. What kind of focus do you put on Protein -- number of grams or anything else you want to say? Same as during weight loss phase, only with the occasional healthy carb like quinoa, barley, or brown rice. Not as careful to avoid corn as before, but still no "white stuff" or sugary sweets.

5. What kind of focus do you put on carbs - number of grams or anything else you want to say? Very limited!

6. What other nutritional tips / tricks are working for you that help you maintain? Still eating lots of nuts, cheese and Jerky. Probably too many nuts.

7. Which foods, if any, do you avoid altogether? White stuff, sugars, alcohol.

8. What exercise regimen (exercise types and frequency) do you follow? Walking 3-4 times a week and gym once a week.

9. What role, if any, has counseling or therapy played in your WLS success? Active on Bariatric Pal and my local monthly surgery support group. Use sharing my experience with others as my "therapy".

10. What advice would you offer WLS patients to help them be successful? See my story for lots of advice and tips.

Gastric Sleeve

7 months

5’ 3”, 106 lbs.

I don’t have a maximum, but my minimum is 70 grams

As a rule I avoid starches and sweets and limit legumes, sweet vegetables (i.e. carrots), and fruit. I try to stay in the range of 40-60 net carbs per day.

I’m working on looking at my diet overall on a weekly basis and trying to make sure that my weekly averages are within my desired ranges. I also weigh myself every day so that I can spot trends early.

bread, rice, potatoes, corn, fruit juices, pastries, cakes, etc. I also don’t drink alcoholic beverages as a rule. These foods (and alcohol) are indulged in only on holidays and infrequent celebrations.

Bicycling several times a week, walking every day

None

It did not come easy to me, but I had to really look at my previous behavior and previous weight loss attempts and acknowledge that they didn’t work for me. Once I admitted that, I was able to begin to take the advice of the vets on this site.

Hi I'm LeAnn in Newport News, VA

0. What type of weight loss surgery have you had? Realize Band 11cc banded July, 2011

1. How long have you been in maintenance mode? I reached goal in July, 2014. Been maintaining below goal weight for a year.

2. What's your current height and weight? 5'7" 140-145

900-1200 depending on the day

4. What kind of focus do you put on Protein -- number of grams or anything else you want to say? Protein first and most- I aim for 60-80 grams daily; the rest of my calories come from vegetables, dairy and complex carbs.

5. What kind of focus do you put on carbs - number of grams or anything else you want to say? I don't count carbs... I did the first year, kept net carbs below 30. Now I focus on protein and produce.

No tricks! I eat the same way I did dirtying losing phase. I weigh and measure portions and I focus on protein and produce. No more than 1/2 cup of food per meal. If I want a snack, I choose protein like cheese, hummus, boiled egg, yogurt.

7. Which foods, if any, do you avoid altogether? Sugary desserts; cereals, cakes, Cookies, biscuits, breads and Pasta because they don't support my health and I still get stuck when eating them.

5-6 days weekly walking and running; I began distance running this year and train for longer races.

The first year I was in weekly therapy with a counselor who had also had WLS. Now I participate in a moderated WLS support group online.

10. What advice would you offer WLS patients to help them be successful? Maintenance requires more discipline and planning than losing phase. I continue the same habits that helped me lose 130 lbs in order to maintain weight loss. Maintenance doesn't give me permission to cut corners or stop following rules. Those who begin to take shortcuts and slide into precious snacking behaviors will regain.

0. What type of weight loss surgery have you had? Lap-band

1. How long have you been in maintenance mode? Since December 2014

2. What's your current height and weight? Ht:5'6" Wt:135 lbs

3. How many calories do you eat daily (on average) to maintain your weight? I have no idea since I don't actually track calories.

4. What kind of focus do you put on Protein -- number of grams or anything else you want to say? Protein first, always and at least 60 grams per day, minimum.

5. What kind of focus do you put on carbs - number of grams or anything else you want to say? During the weight loss phase of my journey, I tried to stay under 100 grams per day. After shifting maintenance, I don't really count carbs anymore. I do try to avoid foods that are highly processed and full of added carbs though. However, I eat fruits, vegetables, and grains in liberal amounts.

6. What other nutritional tips / tricks are working for you that help you maintain? I eat only when I'm hungry and only until I'm satisfied, not stuffed and then I stop. I choose Protein first and if I'm still hungry, then I will eat some veggies and fruits.

7. Which foods, if any, do you avoid altogether? Junk food and Pasta

8. What exercise regimen (exercise types and frequency) do you follow? I spend 30 minutes to an hour on the elliptical followed by some weight training 3 days a week. I also run 3 or 4 days a week. My runs are anywhere from 3-8 miles at about a 9 min/mile pace and I'm currently working my way up to being able to run my first half marathon this fall.

9. What role, if any, has counseling or therapy played in your WLS success? I haven't officially had any counseling, per se. However, my surgeon is one who spends lots of time with his patients discussing everything from diet and exercise to life circumstances and coping mechanisms. That has helped tremendously.

10. What advice would you offer WLS patients to help them be successful? Choose a surgeon who cares about YOU as a person and who will provide the follow-up care that you need and then do what he tells you. The "rules" given to you are there for a reason. Obey them. Forever. And understand that whatever surgery you have is just a tool to help you reach your goals. It is not a magic fix. It will not do the work for you. You have to do the work of utilizing your tool appropriately and making it work for you. Otherwise, you may lose some weight initially but you will eventually gain it back if you don't make lifestyle changes. You have been given an amazing opportunity-make the best of it!

I am no where near maintenance but I really like this thread!!! Great questions

(EDITED with a hat-tip to @@James Marusek for adding Question 0.)

VSG

About a year and a half

5'4"- 136lbs

When focused, I try for 100, when lax 60.

Eat them after Protein

Lots of water- at least 60 oz

None

Weight lifting 3-4xs a week for an hour, minimal cardio

I attend a support group that meets monthly, when I can which is usually every few months.

Weight and measure in the beginning so that portions are correct. Follow your plan, go to your doctor, live life.

0. What type of weight loss surgery have you had? Gastric Sleeve

1. How long have you been in maintenance mode? Since December 2014

2. What's your current height and weight? 5'6" 135

3. How many calories do you eat daily (on average) to maintain your weight? I'm lucky I guess, I eat 1600-1800 to maintain

4. What kind of focus do you put on Protein -- number of grams or anything else you want to say? I aim for 90-100g a day. I can't get it all with food because my restriction is great, so I still do Protein shakes and bars.

5. What kind of focus do you put on carbs - number of grams or anything else you want to say? I pretty much don't do simple/white/refined carbs on a daily basis--bread, potatoes, rice, pasta--I haven't had but a bite of rice since surgery, no Pasta and maybe 4 slices of bread. If I am gonna splurge on simple carbs it will be sweets--a cookie or a singleReese's Peanut Butter cup, or a third of a scone. I do that about once a week. However, I don't limit my fruit or vegetables and I do oatmeal once or twice a week. And when I run I fuel with carbs when I have a race or go more than 5 miles in training--dried fruit/nut/date balls are a favorite but I also use processed ones like honey stinger wafers and even occasionally Gu's and sugared electrolyte drinks.

Tricks? Hmmmm I don't eat typical "meals" because my restriction is high. I do 5-7 small mini meals, meat and cheese roll ups, Peanut Butter with apple or banana, Greek Yogert and fruit, Protein shake with frozen fruit Protein powder and sometimes fair life milk or Greek Yogert inside, shrimp w cocktail sauce and celery, cucumber w soft cheese, etc.

7. Which foods, if any, do you avoid altogether? Like I said above the biggies are Pasta, bread, crackers, rice and potatoes. I allow myself most everything else (including sweets and occasionally French fries) in very limited amounts.

I run 20+ miles a week (just did a marathon where I was 40+ miles a week, but now am only half marathon training), so 3-4 yoga classes a week, daily yoga at home on days I am not in class and do either a 10-15 mile bike ride or a 500+ meter swim weekly so I can keep up for my triathlons (I have been doing a short one every other month or so).

I did two years of weekly therapy before weight loss surgery and I think it was invaluable! I have done it on and off since for "tune ups"

10. What advice would you offer WLS patients to help them be successful? Maintenance is the "now what?" Usually in the past there has been no maintenance for me it's been up and down and then up again. Maintenance isn't sexy--you don't get the kudos and great feedback, the attention drops off or becomes the new normal. So you need to find something else to motivate you. For me it's been racing--marathons, half marathons, triathlons, relay races, etc. the other part is subconsciously a lot of us think our lives will be magically perfect once we are skinny/heathy/whatever. It doesn't happen. And there's nothing left to blame the things that don't go well on. He's not less attentive because I'm fat. I didn't not get that job because I'm fat. (Just for example). I need to figure out the real whys in my life now. Again a good reason therapy is helpful!

0. What type of weight loss surgery have you had? Sleeve

1. How long have you been in maintenance mode? 3 years (4 years out from surgery)

2. What's your current height and weight? 5 ft, 135 lb

3. How many calories do you eat daily (on average) to maintain your weight? 1200

4. What kind of focus do you put on Protein -- number of grams or anything else you want to say? 80-100gm/day; still drink 1-2 Protein shakes/day; protein first at meals and Snacks

5. What kind of focus do you put on carbs - number of grams or anything else you want to say? Very mindful of any processed/refined carbs (don't do them). Very tight limit on breads/pastas/starchy veggies (once a week).

6. What other nutritional tips / tricks are working for you that help you maintain? Eat whole, natural, & clean. Avoid packaged, canned, "cardboard"/frozen meals; fast food no more than once a week.

7. Which foods, if any, do you avoid altogether? A big pre-op trigger: Not one M&M for me in four years! Don't miss 'em. Will never eat another one. 72% Ghiradelli dark choc once a week is my substitute now. Have found fantastic healthy substitutes for my other 3 major trigger foods--Cookies, baked goods, and ice cream. I never feel deprived and I always feel POWERFUL now.

8. What exercise regimen (exercise types and frequency) do you follow? Walk 30 minutes, without fail, 7 days a week. Mild strength/weight/stretching 3x/week (15 min). Work in lots of standing/walking etc throughout day too.

9. What role, if any, has counseling or therapy played in your WLS success? A HUGE part of my success! Have attended bari support groups 4 times a month for 4 years. The face-to-face support is just so helpful to me. Everyone all in one place, all with the same thing in common. Also have had (and continue to have) individual monthly counseling.

10. What advice would you offer WLS patients to help them be successful? 1) Watch for those carby Snacks sneaking back into your lifestyle. So often people come back to group with weight regain because of slacking off by letting those back in. 2) Remember to have a daily/weekly plan for your food intake. It keeps us from being forced to make unhealthy choices. 3) Be aware of a major cause of weight regain--major life events that cause us major emotional distress. Know how vulnerable we are at those times. When death, divorce etc hit, our priorities STILL also need to be our health. 4) Watch the self-talk. Keeping a positive attitude and focusing on our new healthy bodies is our ultimate goal. The number on the scale and setbacks along the way cannot define how we're feeling about ourselves today. 5) We are WLS patients FOR LIFE. There is NO FINISH LINE. Continuing vitamin/mineral supplementation, annual checkups and bloodwork are forever.

WLS = POWER + FREEDOM!!!

Edited by LivingFree!

Great thread. Here's my answers:

What type of weight loss surgery have you had? Sleeve

1. How long have you been in maintenance mode? 7 months

2. What's your current height and weight? 5"2 120 lbs

3. How many calories do you eat daily (on average) to maintain your weight? I don't count or measure my food but I would guess around 1500 on a normal day

4. What kind of focus do you put on Protein -- number of grams or anything else you want to say? I always have protein first and at least 60 grams but I don't measure it. I still have shakes and bars but only the one's I like. You still need to plan ahead and have protein Snacks handy.

5. What kind of focus do you put on carbs - number of grams or anything else you want to say? I eat whatever is not processed in any amount. ie fruits and veggies I don't worry about. I do eat oatmeal almost everyday but I put in a scoop of unflavored protein. I find having the oatmeal keeps me regular. I don't do refined carbs unless it's a treat. I think someone else put on here they'd rather have a cookie than white bread. That's exactly how I am. Not wasting the carbs on rice or Pasta.< /p>

6. What other nutritional tips / tricks are working for you that help you maintain? I try to stick to the basics. I take my Vitamins, get enough sleep, workout, drink Water, eat my protein first.

7. Which foods, if any, do you avoid altogether? Bread, rice, pasta, fast food, pop, alcohol

8. What exercise regimen (exercise types and frequency) do you follow? I workout everyday. It makes me feel so much better to start my day. I run 2x, spin 2x, weights 2x and do yoga once. I just did my first half marathon. I had the same workout program before surgery. I do it to be healthy not thinner.

9. What role, if any, has counseling or therapy played in your WLS success? Not much. I go to my sessions as part of my surgeons plan. I do love these boards that give me lots of advice and tips. It has helped me be successful.

10. What advice would you offer WLS patients to help them be successful? I don't weigh myself everyday but every few days to make sure I am not gaining. I stay within a 2 lb. range Be mindful of your weaknesses. Mine is sweets. I don't deprive myself but I also make sure to limit what I have or what's in the house. If it's going to be hard for me to resist it then I try to get rid of it. For example: I am fine with the chips ahoy Cookies being in the pantry but if I make fresh baked cookies I usually put as many of them as I can in my kids lunches to get rid of them before I eat them all :) I think one thing that has really helped me is to truly think of this as a life style change vs a diet. I have to because 80% f my stomach is gone. In order for my body to run smoothly I need to eat this way.

Remember none of us are perfect and none of us are the same so you need to find what works for you and stick with it.

~LA