Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

BCAAs vs HMB

This may be way too technical but I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on which was the better supplement? I'm six months out from surgery, 93lbs down and I've started doing fasted cardio every morning and my muscles are rather sore. I've been reading about how BCAAs help with muscle recovery but I've also read that HMB supplements can help when you're on a calorie restricted diet and are doing fasted cardio. Reading about all of the science leaves me a bit cross-eyed so I was wondering if anyone has had an actual experience with either?

Potassium magnesium and coconut Water also will help you stay hydrated. Glutamine is an amino acid that also helps with recovery. Nature's Best, makers of Isopure make a supplement powder which tastes like a$$, but they also add it to some of their yummy Isopure Protein powders (each servings contains 4 gms of glutamine), some of which also contain tons of Vitamins. Win, win, win. But honestly if you're that sore then...eat something, some carbs, not a lot but SOME and potatoes (not french fries) if you eat the skin they have tons of potassium as well. I have no idea what HMB is unless you are referring to something used to treat patients with melanoma, which I'm guessing one would NOT want to take if they did not have melanoma. But I most certainly am NOT a doctor. You might want to consult with yours and not start taking a whole bunch of weird so-called "natural" chemicals. I frequently remind folks that cocaine and opium are also natural. That doesn't mean that its healthy to take a daily supplement of either. Also some other "natural" supplements like ephedrine were later banned by the FDA because people were keeling over from heart attacks since it was essentially speed.

If you want to know if something is truly evidence based google Cochrane Library and then search for Cochrane Reviews and see what they say. Good luck!

@@FocusOnMeNow thanks for the advice! HMB is is a metabolite of leucine (one of the BCAAs) that is supposed to prevent Protein breakdown. The stuff I've read says that HMB can lead to increased gain in lean mass and decreased muscle breakdown. It's supposed to help especially if you're on a restricted caloric diet - apparently it's often prescribed for wasting syndrome.

I'll have to google that site you suggested.

Edited by Indieflickers

Thanks for this! I might start using the powder myself because I was interested in taking the BCAAs as I’m strength training and get pretty sore after. I have a snack after but it doesn’t always help. Also just FYI the BCAA pills are enormous and way too big after my sleeve.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• ChunkCat

Thank you everyone for your well wishes! I totally forgot I wrote an update here... I'm one week post op today. I gained 15 lbs in water weight overnight because they had to give me tons of fluids to bring my BP up after surgery! I stayed one night in the hospital. Everything has been fine except I seem to have picked up a bug while I was there and I've been running a low grade fever, coughing, and a sore throat. So I've been hydrating well and sleeping a ton. So far the Covid tests are negative.
      I haven't been able to advance my diet past purees. Everything I eat other than tofu makes me choke and feels like trying to swallow rocks. They warned me it would get worse before it gets better, so lets hope this is all normal. I have my follow up on Monday so we'll see. Living on shakes and soup again is not fun. I had enough of them the first time!! LOL 
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • BeanitoDiego

Still purging all of the larger clothing. This morning, a shirt that I ADORED wearing ended up on top. Hard to let it go, but it was also hard to let go of those habits that also no longer serve my highest good. Onward and upward!
      · 0 replies
    • Onedayatatime365

Looking to connect with others who are also on the journey of better health. Post-Op Gastric Sleeve (4/11/24).
      · 0 replies
    • jparadigm

Happy Wednesday!

I hope everyone is having a lovely week so far! 
      It's been a bit of a struggle this last week...I'm hungry ALL the time.
      · 1 reply
      1. BlondePatriotInCDA

Have a great Wednesday too! Sorry you're hungry all the time, I'm pretty much the same..and I'm sick of eating the same food all the time.

• ChunkCat

Well, tomorrow I go in for an impromptu hiatal hernia repair after ending up in the ER over the weekend because I couldn't get food down and water was moving at a trickle... I've been having these symptoms on and off for a few weeks but Sunday was the worst by far and came with chest pain and trouble breathing. The ER PA thinks it is just esophagitis and that the surgeon and radiologist are wrong. But the bariatric surgeon swears it is a hernia, possibly a sliding one based on my symptoms. So he fit me into his schedule this week to repair it! I hope he's right and this sorts it out. He's going to do a scope afterwards to be sure there is nothing wrong with the esophagus. Here's hoping it all goes well!!
      · 4 replies
      1. AmberFL

omgsh!! Hope all goes well!! Keeping you in my thoughts!

2. gracesmommy2

Hope you’re doing well!

3. NickelChip

I hope it goes well! Sending positive thoughts for a speedy recovery!

4. AmberFL

How are you doing? any update?!

• Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches