Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What does it feel like to have the sleeve v. band?

I am happy to report that I had my band removed one week ago Monday after 5 years of torture!!!! I am feeling pretty good and heading back to work tomorrow. My sleeve is scheduled for September 14th and I'm curious to know what my fellow revisioners have experienced in regards to eating. What does it feel like to have the sleeve v. the band? I had (what I referred to as) "the gurgle" every time I ate or drank anything, I could always feel the food going down and through my band, I never had that feeling of being full, only being in pain or stuck being forced to throw up. Are these feelings I might expect to feel again with the sleeve? Any info would be really helpful. Thanks so much!

I had my sleeve 1st of july.

My experience was painful. Been just crying and barely eating due to severe severe severe pain. I burp all the time and my stomach cramp whenever i drink or eat something.

Ive read that alot of people are having great experiences with my type of surgery ( gastric sleeve) and barely feel any pain...well. Im happy for them. Im really suffering and im dehydrated most of the time because its too damn painful to swallow anything. Also all food disgust me and i feel like vomiting all the time. Cant have people eating food around me.

Really dont want to sound negative but its healthy to know that this surgery isnt going to easy either.

But in the end its all worth it. Trust me

Good luck

Edited by ninella

I'm so sorry to hear you are in so much pain! I remember the horrible pain I was in after the band and I suffered for nearly two weeks. The gas pain was horrendous and you don't want to drink anything but now that I know what it feels like, I know you have to push through it and keep drinking to avoid dehydration.

Did you have your band removed in advance of the revision or did you have it all done in one surgery?

I am happy to report that I had my band removed one week ago Monday after 5 years of torture!!!! I am feeling pretty good and heading back to work tomorrow. My sleeve is scheduled for September 14th and I'm curious to know what my fellow revisioners have experienced in regards to eating. What does it feel like to have the sleeve v. the band? I had (what I referred to as) "the gurgle" every time I ate or drank anything, I could always feel the food going down and through my band, I never had that feeling of being full, only being in pain or stuck being forced to throw up. Are these feelings I might expect to feel again with the sleeve? Any info would be really helpful. Thanks so much!

Why was it torture? And why do people like you post these things without thinking what people like me (who had the band put in a week ago) will think. I thought that this site was about encouraging people!

@@arimerm1 - I posted this message on a band to sleeve revision forum. I am going through my own issues and asking people who have gone through similar experiences as ME. This was not directed at newbies. It's a big giant forum and you will come to see that people have many different experiences that have nothing to do with you and its about being real. Yes, torture! I didn't say you are going to have torture, BUT I dealt with 5 years of torture. I wish you the best of luck with your band but again, my question is directed to people who have gone through a revision.

I'm sorry you had a horrible experience I had 2 lap bands placed and the first one slipped after 2yrs I lost 115 lbs and the second one slipped after 2.5 yrs; so I will be getting the sleeve on the 13. I have read some people have said that the weight loss can be slower when you get the sleeve but im ok with that as long I start back losing. Good luck to you.

@kiki52 And good luck to you also! I can't imagine two slippages. This experience has been really painful but I'm happy it's out and looking forward to the revision. I'm not as concerned with how fast I lose either. I just don't want to feel sick and in pain every day which is why I'd like to understand from others what the physical feeling has been between the two. I've gathered from my research and conversations with my dr. that I won't go through the same complications. Fingers crossed!

To me you always knew there was a band. You would get that stuck feeling, reflux, slime, throw up, etc. You feel stuck but still hungry. With the sleeve you feel normal. I eat until I'm comfortably full. I have no issue stopping and I'm no longer hungry. I imagine this is how people feel that never had eating issues. I just wish I switched sooner.

I had a band to sleeve revision all in one surgery on June 1st. I had the band in 2012 and the first 2 years were fine. Then I started throwing up everything I ate including even something like Protein shake. I kept going to get the fill adjusted and never could get into the green zone. So in April the doctor removed all the fill and then I had the surgery.

I haven't thrown up or slimed once. I can eat chicken again. I haven't found any lean Protein or non-starchy veggie I can't eat. I can eat fruit. The amounts are still small and I still get full quickly. But it stays down.

I don't miss having that port at all either. Mine would move and rub on a nerve and hurt like heck like I was being stabbed.

My sleeve surgery was really easy. No complications, no problems with the liquid stage and no problems so far with the real food solid stage. Very little pain in the hospital and didn't take any pain meds once I got home. The hardest part was the 2-3 weeks of sheer exhaustion. The first week I had to sit on a chair to dry my hair or put on makeup and after a shower I had to sit on the bed for about 5 minutes before I could get dressed.

I don't regret switching one bit at all. I feel normal with the sleeve. When we go out to dinner I don't have to get up to go to the bathroom because what I just ate is coming back up.

@@hockeyfan7 thank you so much for your post! Yes, I too had the stabbing pain at my port site and I've always thought it was just me! You are the first person to tell me you had it. I feel like I'm about to break out in tears reading this because it's me to a tee. The thought of being able to remain at the dinner table through an entire meal without having to throw up in numerous public bathrooms is worth all of this! Yesterday, I ate broccoli for the first time in about three years and cried because it went down! Thank you again!

Buttercup06 - glad to hear that! It's so freeing to be able to keep food down. I've been eating lots and lots of chicken because I haven't been able to eat it for 3 years!

The surgeon told me the port was rubbing against a nerve when I felt that stabbing pain. I'm so happy you are feeling better and enjoying your sleeve!

I'm going from band to sleeve tomorrow. The first year with the band was ok (but never really liked it) then I got pregnant and have had a lot of trouble for the last four years. I'm so excited to be sleeved!

I had the revision in 1 surgery and the recovery was very easy. Yes the weight loss is slower. I do have acid reflux at night but I can take an over the counter acid reducer and I'm fine. If I eat that 1 bite too much, I get nauseous. The sleeve helps you feel full not stuck like the band I'm happy just to have that thing out of me. Good luck to you.

It's interesting to see that so many people were able to have the revision in one surgery. I had a second opinion with another popular surgeon and he too wouldn't do it in one. I'm jealous! Oh well, this is just part of my story and I'll get there soon enough! Thanks all, for your very helpful comments. ????????????