Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm four months post op as of today and had the realization that I am more critical of my body now that I am losing weight than I was at my heaviest. When does the brain catch up with the body? When did you start feeling content with your appearance?

Edited by Madmax68

That's often an ongoing process. I liked myself just as much when I was 90lbs heavier as I do now. I think it's a mental issue. For some people it comes when they can shop straight sizes or not have to go to plus size stores, and for others it never come.

@@Madmax68

As weight drops rapidly. For some of us It will take time for the mind to catch up. I still place a picture of me at goal on my bathroom mirror to remind myself I am no longer a large person. Excepting my new self is something I'm working on and it is getting better. After years of negativity around my size. I'm trying to change that internal conversation.

Go easy on yourself you are a work in progress,

Jenn1

Thanks for the replies. I took years to get to my former size and then I rarely looked in the mirror. If something fit, I bought it. Now that I am a L/XL everything fits and I don't know what looks good. I think this feeling is natural, but I hope it's not too long before I recognize and like my reflection :D

I'm 3 yrs post op & I still have days that I look in the mirror n look & feel fat... Make sure you take lots of before & after picture that way it will keep you grounded and eventually you will feel happy with how far you've become... ☺️☺️☺️

I am almost 2 years post-op and maintaining under goal and there are still times where I feel like a busted can of biscuits (saw that on a poster and it made me laugh). I gained a little bit this week, so even though technically I'm not fat, I woke up, got on the scale, and cried myself a little river because 129 is quite the heffer compared to my usual 126. I feel like I will probably always see myself as the fat girl, which is why I weigh everyday because I have a solid piece of information that proves that no matter how bad I feel, a woman in the 120's is not fat.

I am almost 2 years post-op and maintaining under goal and there are still times where I feel like a busted can of biscuits (saw that on a poster and it made me laugh). I gained a little bit this week, so even though technically I'm not fat, I woke up, got on the scale, and cried myself a little river because 129 is quite the heffer compared to my usual 126. I feel like I will probably always see myself as the fat girl, which is why I weigh everyday because I have a solid piece of information that proves that no matter how bad I feel, a woman in the 120's is not fat.

I wish we could see ourselves as our friends see us. We'd never criticize a friend for a small gain or plateau. I wish we could be kinder to ourselves :D

I'm the size I was when I was 17 yet I still think I'm fat. I'm hoping that will change eventually.

It will eventually catch up. It's not only your body that is undergoing a transformation, but your entire life. There's bound to be some chaos going on behind the scenes. Once things start to settle down though and you are more settled into a routine everything will sync back up. The little niggling doubts might creep back in here and there, as that kind of goes with being fat for a good deal of life. But you will be better able to nip it in the bud by then. Good luck!

This is such a good topic. I had my surgery almost two years ago and though I have lost over 100 lbs I am so unhappy with my body. I dont mean to complain, I am healthier and smaller by far, but I am saggy, I do lift weights in an effort to combat that but there is definitely some skin, that I am pretty sure I wont be able to work off. I constantly make collages to remind myself of where I started and that makes it a little easier for me to not be so hard on myself. Other than pictures I dont have any great advice and I am looking for answers myself.

Do you ever walk through the grocery store and get a glance of yourself or walk through town and catch a sideways look in the windows and cringe? Happens so often to me and often I realize that the image I cringed over wasn't even me! LOL Looking forward to the days when I don't want to miss seeing myself in those damn mirrors!

I've been maintaining a 90ish pound loss for over a year now and most days I feel pretty good. Waaaaaayyy less self conscious most of the time. Then I put on shorts and it all goes out the window. Bought some new Miss Me shorts (size 27, which is like a 4\6 so there is NO REASON! I'm doing it anyway for the first time in at least 10 years but gads I feel horrible in shorts! I figure, fake it till you make it!

You know what? The other day I was at the gym and I was walking to the weights I thought man if I could just be the size of that lady I'd be happy, when I got closer I realized I was that lady. I swear sometimes I think my body is gross just because its my body. I am so much harder on myself than I am on other people, and Im sure Im not alone. It is happening more and more often that I look at pictures of myself and think wow, I look skinny, and Im still over 200 lbs. Chances are we are all being too hard on ourselves and if someone doesnt like your body theyre a superficial asshole (especially if they are getting to see your body and thats all they care about) and youre better off without them. In the meantime, speak to yourself like you would to someone you love, look at pictures often, and hope that this too shall pass.

I am glad to hear this is not just a problem I am having. I look at the scale and know I am getting smaller but dont feel my body is reflecting it.

I feel the same way, when I look in the mirror.. I actually look great the only part of my body that I hate is my arms I hate them so much I hate them so much that I'm saving up for an arm lift...