Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Nine years (well almost!)

A week early. But I was bored so wrote this anyway

Well, nine years ago I weighed 248lbs at 5' 4" tall and 55 years of age. I didn't have any significant co-morbidities except moderately high blood pressure (which had to be controlled by meds) but my knees ached, walking was not enjoyable, even going upstairs was an effort. I felt lethargic and bloated all the time, I seemed to have a constant mild headache and had bad Migraines every month or so. I was ashamed of my size. My all-time highest weight was around 290 and I had lost around 40lbs by a calorie-controlled diet a couple of years earlier and kept it off but I was starting to lose control again.

Fast forward 15 months and I weighed under 140lbs, was full of energy, starting to do 5k runs, enjoying mountain walks and very active holidays. I felt healthy, headaches were a rarity, my knees etc felt fine. OK so I haven't stayed under 140lbs, but I didn't want to be! It made me look older than my then 56 years. Now at 64, I am perfectly happy around 160. I now consider this my mid-range point; a comfort zone of between 155 and 165.

I still love food but I am no longer obsessed by it. I no longer plan my days in advance around eating. If I am busy, I forget to eat; if I am not occupied, I get the same urges to eat I always did! But rarely the physical hunger. Yesterday was a very busy day and when I sat down to eat at around 6 in the evening, I realised all I had had all day was a medium skinny latte for Breakfast.

But on quiet days, I still need all the will-power I can muster. And very often I fail!

The band gets bad press on some boards, and with reason! Some have had horrendous experiences. But for me, it has done exactly what I hoped. It has never stopped me eating, rarely causes me even to bring food back up. If just helps me to eat more mindfully. And for me, that was all I needed. For many people, that would not be enough. I know many doctors are now choosing not to implant bands because of high complication rates.

I don't deny the bad experiences people have had. Interestingly, those I know in real life, as opposed to online, have almost all had positive outcomes, I can't explain why this should be. I admit I have lost touch with some and others have not lost as much weight as they hoped. But only two out of around 50 have, as far as I know, had their bands removed and one of those freely admits she abused her band, keeping it ridiculously tight and deliberately regurgitating food so she could eat more. The other had non-band related medical issues.

I did have a leak at around 4 years out which required a surgical repair but it has been fine ever since. I have had three episodes of regain, twice gaining around 28lbs (sounds a rather exact figure but we measure weight in stones in the UK and 28lbs is 2 stone, so that's when panic sets in and I get back on track!). The third was 20lbs and I have lost most of that over the last two months.

Why has it worked for me and not for many? Who knows? Luck may well enter into it; the nature of my body, how it heals, reaction to an implant. Some follow every rule and still have awful complications. But I did and do everything I can to minimise risk. I had an excellent surgeon, good band education, excellent after-care. I don't follow every "rule" all the time as far as eating goes but I have always followed every medical instruction to the letter (post-op diet etc.).

I am also paranoid about being tight and have never had my band tight enough to physically make eating difficult. I probably have it loose enough for many people to find it insufficient help - but it is sufficient for me!

Will I be writing a post like this in a year's time? I have no idea! But all has gone well so far. And I am a glass-half-full kind of gal so hopefully I will be!

Congratulations!! This is very inspirational. I love to read about people with long term success, especially banders. You do work at it, no doubt about that. If you can do it, it gives me hope that I can do it too. Great post!!

This post put a smile on my face @KateP. These are the stories that inspire me..and let me hope that this newly slender lady is not an anomoly but truly my new normal. Thank you so much for hanging around all this time so we bandsters can know that there are long term successes out there.

Great post, Kate -- I feel the same way about so much you describe. Congratulations on your upcoming anniversary and on enjoying life without being obsessed by food. Way to go! So glad you're here on the forum.

Good on you Kate you are one of the ones that work with the band and that lead to your success.

Just what I needed to read this morning..... A LONG-TERM successful bander. Gives me hope that I too will be successful over years. A true lifestyle that is so much more healthy. Best Wishes!

This is truly inspiring. I'm 2 years out and hope to be writing the same thing someday