Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

To repair and rebuild your body, post-surgery recovery requires amino acids, which are the building blocks of lean tissue. Amino acids are found in Protein and dairy or can be taken as supplements such as glutamine powder. I am not a nutritionist so for best results check with your healthcare professional.

Here's my Recovery smoothie Recipe which I developed for my plastic surgery post op recovery, before I went Paleo :P It is probably best to eliminate the honey if you use this post bariatric surgery so as to avoid possible dumping syndrome. Good luck in your weight loss journey! I hope my recipe helps someone! http://www.healthcentral.com/obesity/c/276918/163803/recovery-smoothie-recipe

I've got a collection of healthy recipes from around the web if you'd like to check out my Borne Appetit boards on Pinterest: https://www.pinterest.com/mybariatriclife/

@@1Day1Life You are very welcome! I've recently discovered a supplemental form of collagen. It has 6g of Protein and is 90% Protein, no carbs, is easy to digest/absorb, low in calories (25 cal per TBS), and contains lots of amino acids. IMO it is better than any Protein Powder on the market. It has an added benefit of repairing connective tissue (and what obese person doesn't need help with that).

I am 12-yrs out from gastric bypass and was recently told by a naturopathic doctor that my body is digesting my lean tissue and I needed to add more protein to my diet. This was shown in a chemical analysis that I had done of my hair. Add to that my knees have been bothering me when I run, so I am using the collagen in lieu of whey protein that he recommended by Standard Process. Again, I am not a clinician so do what feels right to you!

Here is the manufacturer's description from Amazon (

Hydrolyzed collagen helps regulate the body's metabolism by providing pure protein of low molecular weight that is quickly absorbed in the digestive track. The rapid absorption and distinctive amino acid groups in this formula will positively impact a large number of metabolic pathways. The body's natural ability to repair supporting connective tissue (bone, tendons, ligaments, cartilage, skin, hair, and nails) diminishes after the age of 25. Collagen provides the source in supplying additional amounts of amino acids like glycine, lysine, and proline, which are specifically needed by the body to build connective tissue structure and to regulate the functions of the cells. Hydrolyzed collagen is the same collagen found naturally in bones, skin, and cartilage. it is a bioactive product containing 90% protein easily assimilated by the human body. It promotes rapid Cell growth producing synovial fluids to first lubricate joints, then build tissue. Recommended dosage: Take one rounded tablespoon (10-12 g) in the morning, and the same amount before going to bed in the late evening which will help reduce appetite. This product has a low molecular weight so it will dissolve in cold, warm, or hot liquids. Collagen, the precursor of Gelatin is used today in many pharmaceutical or biotech products to better improve mankind's health condition.

The best deal that I found on Amazon included a jar of the hydrolyzed and a jar of the regular collagen (the difference being that the hydrolyzed will dissolve in cold liquids whereas the regular will dissolve in room temp or hot liquid). Plus the deal includes a shaker bottle and free shipping. Cost is $39. Here is the link: http://www.amazon.com/Great-Lakes-Collagen-Hydrolysate-Unflavored/dp/B00UNPJEUY/ref=as_sl_pc_qf_sp_asin_til?tag=bornappe-20&linkCode=w00&linkId=C7AQEWZODLBHV5FS&creativeASIN=B00UNPJEUY