Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Recovering from Surgery

I am beginning the process to get this surgery. One of the questions I have is regarding the pain AFTER surgery.

I know there will be incision pain, nausea, and possible gas pain.

I wonder- does the stomach itself hurt? Like a bad stomach ache? Do you feel the trauma of the surgery in your stomach?

Thanks!

Nope.

Great! Thanks for the info. I wondered if this was part of the post op misery people sometimes talk about.

I worry so much about complications. It's the only thing giving me pause.

Edited by VonJuke

I did get spasms in my esophagus with pretty much every sip I took in the early weeks and that was pretty painful/uncomfortable, but no pain in my actual stomach.

Like, a gag? Or an opening and closing sensation?

Like a squeezing, constriction feeling in the center of my chest.

@@VonJuke - It depends on the person. I was fortunate enough to have a pain free, gas free, nausea free recovery. My abs felt like I had done a really strenuous workout the day before but that was it.

I was sore like everyone else mentioned. The only pain I have had was from gas and the first couple days of sipping liquids. This is day 6 for me and I'm doing so much better than I anticipated.

The only real pain I have felt is in the largest incision, as it is stitched to the muscle. There was some gas pain for a few days. Burp, a lot, fart if you can. I had an amazing surgical team. I have had no nausea, vomitting, I have no issues drinking Water or Protein drinks/shakes. Not once have I regretted my decision to have this surgery. I suggest following your doctors instructions to the letter. I am a natural rule breaker, a pusher of the limits..but not with this. I want Little Sleevie Wonder to heal and be happy! You will heal faster, and feel better if you do as you are told. Provided you went to a reputable surgeon, they know what they are doing. Take time to rest, get your protein and fluids in. Make your Proteins and fluids the same thing. Take your pain meds, your antacids. You will thank yourself later.

I had a sharp stinging pain on the side the stomach was taken out. Each day the pain was a little bit less then the previous day. The more I walked the better I felt . I took gas strips a couple times a day. Slept in a recliner for a week using multiple pillows a heating pad. Your first two weeks will be focused on sipping fluids and walking

I did need pain meds, but it was minimal pain. It felt sore , I didn't have nausea which was one of my concerns. I was pleasantly surprised how easy the recovery was. The gas was the worst part and getting liquids and Protein in the first week.

@@VonJuke - My doc told me that the stomach itself doesn't have pain receptors. So, no, the stomach doesn't hurt. The tissue around it & the incisions, probably, but not the stomach muscle. Believe me when I say it's not bad. The worst part is the gas, believe it or not!!! You will be sore, but it won't necessarily hurt! Good luck to you!