Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Recovery period experience?

Hi everyone

I am trying to schedule my surgery date around being a full-time mom and full-time student, can any of you who have had the sleeve give a little insight into recovery periods, how long it took to feel fully mobile again etc....

Thanks.

I felt like i'd been hit by a bus for about 2 weeks. Felt like I'd slammed into a stopped bus for about another 2 after that, but was functional. Then...BOOM. Just felt normal.

Honest i was scared on the inside...Then the day of surgery i was calm as ever..Surgery for me was on a Tuesday...discharged on a Thursday and went to work the following Monday. I have a desk job and trust i really appreciate sitting. For weeks just walking up the Train steps was a struggle..i got tired very easily. The actual surgery was a breeze..it's the after that was hard but it slowly got better...Good luck!!

Everyone's recovery is different but I'll let you know about mine. It went better than I expected. I had more moderate discomfort rather than any pain. Gas pain was very moderate the day of surgery and the day after surgery. Once I got home on day 3, the gas pain diminished greatly. I had to rest for 1 full week. You'll need someone to take care of you at least for the first full week home. But after that, I felt great. No problems, no complications, and discomfort was gone. I can only imagine how busy your life is being a full time mom and full time student. The hardest part is going to find time to rest and take care of yourself for a week or two. Best of luck to you!

I had surgery on Feb. 3rd.I had no issues with gas and had no pain meds after I left the hospital.My stomach muscles were a little sore as if I'd overdone sit-ups. I did have severe nausea that took about 4 days to leave ( I did have to take anti-nausea meds at home). I walked 30 mins every day and felt pretty much "normal"after 5 days. I am really not tired, or weak, in fact I feel very well.

I had my surgery on a Wednesday and went back to work the following Monday. I am a teacher so I was bending, reaching, walking a lot, etc. I truly believe it helped me because I feel great! I was very tired the first day but after that I felt the normal amount of tiredness. I also think working took my mind off things because I tend to worry and at home I probably would have over analyzed every twinge or pain.

Thank you all for responding! It's great how hearing a couple people's stories can put you a little more at ease. If all goes right I'll have like 6 days to recover before the new term will start along with taking care of my toddlers so I've been skeptical if that was doable or if I should wait till the summer. I've been nervous about the pain nausea and extreme fatigue I've heard about..I've also heard a lot about painful gas! Can you take a gas relief tablet afterward or do you have to wait?:)

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• BeanitoDiego

I've hit a stall 9 months out. I'm not worried, though. My fitness levels continue to improve and I have nearly accomplished my pre-surgery goal of learning to scuba dive! One dive left to complete to get my PADI card 🐠
      I was able to go for a 10K/6mile hike in the mountains two days ago just for the fun of it. In the before days, I might have attempted this, but it would have taken me 7 or 8 hours to complete and I would have been exhausted and in pain for the next two days. Taking my time with breaks for snacks and water, I was finished with my wee jaunt in only 4 hours 😎 and really got to enjoy photographing some insects, fungi, and turtles.
      Just for fun last week, I ran two 5Ks in two days, something I would have never done in the past! Next goal is a 10K before the end of this month.
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • Teriesa

Hi everyone, I wrote back in May about having no strength. I still get totally exhausted just walking from room to room, it’s so bad I’m using a walker with wheels of all things. I had the gastric sleeve Jan. 24th. I’m doing exactly what the programs says, except protein shakes. I have different meats and protein bars daily, including vitamins daily. I do drink my fluids as well.  I go in for IV hydration 4 days a week and feel ok just til evening.  So far as of Jan 1st I’ve dropped 76 lbs. I just want to enjoy the weight lose. Any suggestions or has anyone else gone thru this??  Doctor says just increase calorie intake, still the same. 
      · 0 replies
    • Stone Art By SKL

Decorative Wall Cladding & Panels | Stone Art By SKL
      Elevate your space with Stone Art By SKL's decorative wall claddings & panels. Explore premium designs for timeless elegance.
      · 0 replies
    • Clueless_girl

Losing my hair in clumps and still dealing with "stomach" issues from gallbladder removal surgery. On the positive side I'm doing better about meeting protein and water goals and taking my vitamins, so yay? 🤷‍♀️
      · 0 replies
    • BeanitoDiego

I've hit a stall 9 months out. I'm not worried, though. My fitness levels continue to improve and I have nearly accomplished my pre-surgery goal of learning to scuba dive! One dive left to complete to get my PADI card 🐠
      I was able to go for a 10K/6mile hike in the mountains two days ago just for the fun of it. In the before days, I might have attempted this, but it would have taken me 7 or 8 hours to complete and I would have been exhausted and in pain for the next two days. Taking my time with breaks for snacks and water, I was finished with my wee jaunt in only 4 hours 😎 and really got to enjoy photographing some insects, fungi, and turtles.
      · 1 reply
      1. BabySpoons

Amazing! Congrats!!! Watch out for the sharks. 🦈

• Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches