Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Urgent Question about Gum

Gosh this is one of those moments where I wish you could post without using your name but since it isnt here goes.....I know you are not supposed to chew gum....I know that! Dont ask me why I did but I did because I said to myself...you will never swallow it. Well the problem is I think I did. I was really stressed tonight, chewing a piece of gum and I dont recall throwing it out and its not in my mouth...soooooo the only other place it could be is...you guessed it. Now what? What do I do if it clogged my stoma? I am freaking out now and for those that wonder...yes I learned my lesson. Please could someone give me some advice. Thanks

Susan

You will probably be fine right now, since I assume you don't have any fill just yet?

I have never been told not to chew gum?? I wish there was an all out manual on the lap band because everyday I come across something else I had never heard of.

If you are eating regular foods yet I would think it would be OK. Can you eat anything or is your food getting stuck? If your food goes down allright I would thinks its fine. Good Luck!!!!

Rest easy. If it were clogging your opening, you'd know it by now. You'd be sliming and PBing trying to get it up. Chances are you either swallowed it and it went through, or you had thrown it out.

Thanks all for the replies. I am fine. I was really freaked out last night because I havent had anything get stuck yet nor have I done the PBing or sliming thing yet. Of course I havent had my first fill as of yet..that will be on the 14th of June. No more chewing gum for me though..that was a big enough scare. Thanks again

Susan

Our fill Dr. told My SIL who happened to be chewing gum in his office (!!) that it is frowned upon because it tends to cause saliva production, which fills your pouch...then empties it...similarly to drinking. She told him she thought the reason we were told not to chew it was from the fear of swallowing it and blocking the stoma. He told her if something like that were to ever happen, to eat something like a spoon of Peanut Butter, and it would break down the gum and allow it to pass, he said oils and gum don't do well together, and it would break it down. Now I don't know if any of this is true---or if it is simply another case of each Dr. having their own ways about them. I will say however, that using peanut butter to get gum out of hair does work, it makes the gum lose the sticky, and it kind of falls apart. 2 DD's with long hair, and multiple sleepovers...we have dealt with the gum in the hair thing!!! And for that peanut butter worked...not too sure about in the tummy.l When I chew gum, it makes me hungry!!!!! Go figure! I never feel hunger for the most part, but let me chew gum, and my stomach rumbles and growls and wants fed!!!!!

Glad you had no problems from your gum!!!

Kat

I havent ever been told about gum either. The only thing that I remember being told is to not drink with meals and no carbonation. Did I miss something?

When I had my first nutritionist counseling - she warned of no gum....for fear it will get stuck/blockage.

Carlotta

:help: could you explain some of the abbreviations and terms used such as sliming, PBing and anything else you could think of that might help a newbie.

thanks so much

I was also told no gum because if you swallow it could block the stoma. Which makes perfect sense. Which is why I wont be chewing it anymore ;) That was a big enough scare for me.

As far as the PBing and sliming....I know there is a site on here for those types of terms...just not sure where it is. Hopefully someone more familiar with these things will reply with that info.

Susan

:help: could you explain some of the abbreviations and terms used such as sliming, PBing and anything else you could think of that might help a newbie.

thanks so much

If you do a search on this site you should find a thread that lists all the most common abbreviations.