Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

2 bands, now a revision to RNY or VSG

Hello, all! I feel like I've been through the ringer. This has been 8 years of misery. This is a long post, so I apologize in advance!

I was originally banded in 2007, and had a great success with the band, losing all my excess weight. Unfortunately, I did it by having severe restriction, causing major acid reflux. My surgeon at the time was apparently clueless, since she just prescriped protonix instead of encouraging me to have some fill removed. I eventually got so sick of the reflux that I got a huge unfill. Four years later, and living on the opposite side of the country, I started seeing another surgeon because I regained 40 pounds. Turns out, I'd had a severe slip for several years and didn't know about it. I wanted to revise to VSG at that point, but insurance basically said, "Sorry, you're fat again, but not fat enough! Sucks to be you!" It would only cover a removal/rebanding procedure or just removal, and that wasn't an option (as much as I dislike the band, it's still my security blanket), so band #2 was the only option.

Of course, I've not been able to get to the "sweet spot" with #2. I stopped getting fills because I was at the point where I was often too restricted in the morning and not restricted at all in the evening. I feel like the band has just given me an eating disorder. I'm so scared to eat in groups in public, because the band seems to have a mind of its own. Sometimes, I can eat some foods easily, sometimes I can't. Last week, I had a severe sliming/PB episode when I ate a carrot. Of course, I've continues gaining, since the stuff that I can actually eat easily is usually stuff that's not great for me. (If I had awesome self control and was able to control my eating and lose weight with just diet and exercise, I wouldn't have needed WLS in the first place!)

So now, I've changed insurance companies, and this one covers revisions (and I've gained enough weight that I'm a candidate). I'm ready to get this damned thing out of me, finally! I just don't know which procedure to go with. One surgeon I've consulted with suggested a VSG, since I'm still considered a relative light-weight, but I'm hesitant to have it. I mean, even though the projected long-term results are supposed to be basically comparable to RNY, there aren't any real long-term results available for it. I fell into that mistake once already. When I got the band, it was supposed to replace the RNY, and the projected long-term results were supposed to be comparable, with lower major side effects. Well, we all know how that turned out! Plus, the band has really screwed up my metabolism, especially combined with my PCOS. I'm worried that if I get the VSG, I'm going to be disappointed in the results, since the band has given me a lot of bad habits when it comes to foods.

On the other hand, the RNY scares me a little. I'm not sure about having a surgery where I'd no longer be able to take NSAIDS like advil and aleve, since tylenol really does very little for me. I'm not sure about having mandatory supplements. But, the prospective dumping and the metabolic "kick in the pants" would help keep me honest.

Ugh, I don't know what to do. Of course, this is all in theory, since I still have to choose a surgeon and try to have insurance approve a revision. I'm just so sick of this band. I'm about at the point where I just want it gone, even if I'm not able to get a revision.

..... I'm not sure about having a surgery where I'd no longer be able to take NSAIDS like advil and aleve, .....

Sorry to hear of all your troubles and struggles. Sounds like you've had more than your share with the band(s)! I always try and pay attention to people who have had their band a long time and develop problems. To try and prevent similar issues.

I was wondering, have you taken NSAIDS often since you had your bands?

Best wishes! :)

Sorry to hear of all your troubles and struggles. Sounds like you've had more than your share with the band(s)! I always try and pay attention to people who have had their band a long time and develop problems. To try and prevent similar issues.

I was wondering, have you taken NSAIDS often since you had your bands?

Best wishes! :)

I don't need them often, but I take them whenever I have a headache or back pain (I have a herniated disk that causes me some trouble). Tylenol just really doesn't work for me unless I take a huge dose of it, and even then it's hit or miss. It has never worked well for me.

How big are you now? I revised from band to RNY 19 months ago and wasn't very big at the time of the revision. I had similar issues with the band, reflux, heartburn and for me leading to eating disorder. Since my revision, I haven't experienced any of that and eat healthy meals. I hit my goal weight, feel fantastic and don't regret it at all!

At my revision I was 215. I am 112 now but had skin removal surgery in November. Prior to that I had bottomed out at 123 and was maintaining. The last ten lbs was from the lower body lift.

Good luck on your decision!

How big are you now? I revised from band to RNY 19 months ago and wasn't very big at the time of the revision. I had similar issues with the band, reflux, heartburn and for me leading to eating disorder. Since my revision, I haven't experienced any of that and eat healthy meals. I hit my goal weight, feel fantastic and don't regret it at all!

At my revision I was 215. I am 112 now but had skin removal surgery in November. Prior to that I had bottomed out at 123 and was maintaining. The last ten lbs was from the lower body lift.

Good luck on your decision!

I weighed 205 at the consultation I had a few days ago. My BMI is between 36-37.

I'm sorry you've had to go through all this! The sleeve has actually been around quite some time. And there are stats from several years, although, not nearly as long as the RNY. Both the sleeve and the RNY are completely different surgeries from the band, so it is unlikely that you would have the same issues. I had the sleeve 2 months ago and have not had any problems. I can eat anything in small quantities and have had good weight loss so far. I am a fan of the sleeve because I couldn't handle the idea of rerouting digestion and I really didn't want malabsorption and dumping. However, I would recommend that you continue to research this and make the best decision for you. Good Luck!

The big thing for you to talk to your doctor about is the reflux issue. The sleeve can make that situation worse. Bypass resolves it.

Also both surgeries require Vitamin supplements.

I personally planned to get the sleeve initially until the reflux issue came up and that is why I chose RNY. I have not regretted it for one second.

Good luck on your decision and your revision if u choose to continue down that road.

I agree about discussing with your doctor. Ultimately, I think both surgeries will get you to your goals, both have benefits and negatives so it is important you discuss all of the variables with your qualified medical personnel. Having suffered with the band, there was no way I was going to the sleeve but I have friends that have done extremely well with it as well. We are all individuals with different bodies.