Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Just starting out

I am very new to this whole thing. I am 5'4 and 310 lbs with Co-Morbidities of Diabetes, Dysphagia, and GERD. I decided that I wanted to get WLS so I went on my own in December to a seminar. After leaving, I decided I wanted to get the Sleeve. My new insurance policy (BCBS of IA) didn't kick in until Jan 1st, so on 1/12 I went to my first consult appt with the surgeon. At this appointment, he said he would recommend the Gastric Bypass as my GERD could worsen with the sleeve. He also said it would be a great help with my diabetes and said it would be more successful. He did a great job explaining the difference between the two surgeries and I decided to go with his recommendation. I talked to a friend of mine today that had the sleeve and told him what I decided. He told me the sleeve was better. Easier to get nutrients, said pills don't absorb like they should so all meds I take should be in liquid form. Said important to get nutrients or your body could shut down or eye sight could go. I don't know if what all he said is true, but it has really made me nervous to get this surgery and left me with a lot of questions.

1- does anyone have problems taking pills after surgery or does everything have to be in liquid for like my friend mentioned.

2- is it hard to get your Vitamins and nutrients your body needs

3-What type of side of effects am I looking at.

4-anything in general I should know about this surgery.

5- anything I need to know about pre-op diet. My dr form just says fruit, veggies, skinless chicken breast, fish, and liquids.

I am hoping to do as much research as I can on this. There isn't much my insurance requires. 2 years of weight records (which I have), weight loss attempts (which I have done), psych eval and nutritionist eval (both will be done on 1/26) blood tests and EKG (doing tomorrow) and upper GI (which I still need to schedule). So I imagine it won't be long after that to be approved (BCBS says they have to approve in 15 days). I am just hoping to get more information and ease my nerves before I have this surgery. Any information anyone can give me would be great.

Thanks

First off, welcome! And congratulations on your decision to take control of your health. Search these boards. This question is discussed and answered ad naseum. People choose different surgeries for many different reasons. I'm glad your friend is supportive but he is not a bariatric surgeon. Your reflux will likely increase or become worse with the sleeve. There is malabsorption with the bypass but that is not a reason to throw it out completely. Just because your insurance will approve quickly does not mean you shouldn't give yourself the time you need to make the right choice for you. Sounds like you just need to do a little bit more research and this is the place to do it! :-)

I had RNY surgery 20 months ago. Within 2 weeks after surgery many of my medical conditions went into remission and have remained there. They include high blood pressure, diabetes, sleep apnea, severe heartburn attacks (GERD), frequent urination, and excessive sweating. The weight seemed to roll off after surgery. I lost 20 pounds pre-op and another 90 post-op. And more importantly I have been able to maintain the weight loss.

After surgery, I found it difficult to swallow large pills. I used a pill crusher and a pill splitter. After around 2 months, I was again able to swallow large pills.

In RNY surgery, they cut your stomach in two parts. The smaller of these two parts is now your new stomach. This new stomach is unable to convert food into Vitamins like your old stomach so therefore an individual who undergoes RNY must take daily Vitamins. It is a requirement. Since I have been taking vitamins almost my entire life, I do not view it as a problem. I am still taking vitamins just a lot more of them. I have yearly blood work done to make sure my Vitamin levels are adequate.

Side effects? There is a lot of hassle in getting in the required Protein, fluids, vitamins, exercise in the beginning. But over time it becomes much, much simpler. It took me 6 months to reach my happy state. I would do the operation over again in a heartbeat.

Edited by James Marusek

That is great information guys. This helps me a lot. I have also started exploring this site and doing more research. I am starting to feel better about this surgery.

Hi. I am 49 years of age, have diabetes (newly diagnosed) sleep apnea, high blood pressure and high cholesterol. It is now being determined if I had a silent heart attack and if yes how much damage was done etc. I am supposed to have the r n y in April. Have my surgery class in Feb. and am all over the map. Some people say sleeve is better option. Some people like Guelph. Some like Toronto. I am so confused and nervous I will stroke out on table or have more problems as a result of surgery. I basically feel like I am damned if I do and dead if I don't.

The more I think about it the more worried I become. Is this normal? Am I not ready?

Caseylynn, on 21 Jan 2015 - 21:03, said:

Hi. I am 49 years of age, have diabetes (newly diagnosed) sleep apnea, high blood pressure and high cholesterol. It is now being determined if I had a silent heart attack and if yes how much damage was done etc. I am supposed to have the r n y in April. Have my surgery class in Feb. and am all over the map. Some people say sleeve is better option. Some people like Guelph. Some like Toronto. I am so confused and nervous I will stroke out on table or have more problems as a result of surgery. I basically feel like I am damned if I do and dead if I don't.

The more I think about it the more worried I become. Is this normal? Am I not ready?

I am 66 years old. I had diabetes, sleep apnea, high blood pressure and several other conditions. I am 20 months post-op from RNY surgery. All those conditions went into remission shortly after the operation. Most were gone by the time I left the hospital two days after the operation.

I agree with the above statement trust in your doctor , they know what they are taking about I crush my pills two months after surgery then I could swallow them hold without any problems, I have a friend who share your same health issues and ignore her doctor and hit the sleeve now she is in the process of getting the rny do yo the sleeve making her gerd worse, I hit the rny and I'm happy I did I did not want to take the risk of experiencing the same problem and I only wanted to have surgery once I am 8 months post opt and loving life good luck , but I personal would listen yo my doctor .