Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Horrible eating over Christmas

I've let my bad habits return over the past week. I find myself eating all the time and bigger portions than I'm used to eating. I feel so bad for letting myself get out of hand. I've lost 114 since my surgery in February, but need to remain focused and hit my 1 year anniversary on a high note! Just feeling down and wondering how others made it through the holidays.

I'm sure your not the only one the holidays get a lot of people. As far as myself I'm only 2 months out so I have 0 hunger and didn't eat much at all so not a big deal for me. Sounds like your doing a great job so just pick up and move on! Bye-Gones!@@mcginn0425 good luck to you!

I am 12 months postop and I went to visit family for the holidays. I had no intentions of eating on plan and even spent the last month dropping below my bounce range so I could pig out guilt free this week. It's my first Christmas home in nearly 15 years and there are just too many holiday food traditions I'm not giving up. I've spent the last 5 days basically stuffing myself with sugar and carbs. I still managed to get in a few Protein smoothies, some sushi, shrimp, smoked brisket, chicken, veggies and fruit, but really nothing that resembled a balanced, healthy menu.

I fly back to my place tomorrow and back to work on Monday. I'll step on the scale, enter it in the Holiday Challenge thread, and get right back on my normal healthy diet plan. I'm certainly not going to let 1 week off the wagon diminish all that i've accomplished. And neither should you. Just put it behind you and start back fresh this week.

I am a firm believer in allowing short, planned breaks from strict dieting. (Although I am not sure I could do a whole week without consequence -- my planned breaks are usually for one meal, or just for dessert.) If you are too rigid, eventually the frustration will make you want to give up and go back to your old way of eating. And you have to keep the big picture in mind. We're in this for the long haul. One or two days of high calorie eating won't negate your year's worth of day to day healthy choices.

Enjoy your Christmas break without guilt or regret and then get back to work. Isn't that what we do with other aspects of our lives?

Hi,I am only 4 weeks sleeved so really could not eat over Christmas as still on purees. I visited my son yesterday and he is always really slim and fit, he cycles for miles and watches his diet.Well he was saying that due to to no exercise and overeating over Christmas he has put on 8 pounds,but he just shrugged and said a week without carbs and restarting exercise it will be gone.So you see that this is quite normal for slim people in fact he said he also has a summer weight and a winter weight which i never knew, to me he always looks just nice and slim.So don`t beat yourself up for putting on weight over Christmas, just make up your mind that you will get back in the groove in the next couple of weeks just like millions of normally slim people.Happy new year.Pippinleicester.

Good story, @pippinleicester.

I remember my surprise upon learning that a client (who always looked the same weight to me) weighs 10 pounds more during the winter than during the summer.

Gee. Who knew?

@@mcginn0425 Wow, 114lbs lost, that is amazing! Don't let one week diminish that accomplishment. Just reset and refocus and you'll hit that one year goal.

I definitely ate off the plan the past couple of weeks. I've also noticed, as a result, my energy level has completely plummeted, I feel hungry all the time & just feel icky. I'm excited to get back on track. I start tomorrow back on 3 days of liquids to re-set & break those bad habits!

I'm 9 weeks post op and envy those who feel no hunger. I do feel hunger and haven't conquered my cravings yet.

Suffice it to say I did eat off plan this last 2 weeks, but still kept in mind my smaller stomach. So I had Cookies, stuffing, etc but only small amounts per sitting. Unfortunately I had more "sittings" per day than I should have. Luckily I still loss but only 1 lb per week.

Getting back on track this week and moving forward. My goal weight is still 100 lbs away. Here's to the New Year!

ate off plan past couple of weeks. tomorrow back on 3 days of liquids to re-set

@@livvsmum said above

@@mcginn0425

I'm raising my right hand to confess that i over ate during the holidays too :(

day after christmas i hosted dinner for 8 family members

on purpose i bought a couple of things i didn't like (hard to find but i did :lol: )

so i wasn't tempted to eat

i ordered a yummy beef brisket

everyone loved it

except me!!!

it was really salty/greasy

even hubby didn't love

so sister brought leftovers home

in a moment of insanity

i bought pumpernickel bread with rye dip!! :o

i love that stuff

i had a little while family were over

later that night me and the dip kept each other company for a lllllong time :rolleyes: :angry:

there was plenty left yesterday

i took the dip, spilled it on plastic bag

threw it out!!! :angry:

i later had a brief moment of silence for the dearly departed :wacko: :lol:

i will miss it :(

i also had a few pieces of fancy pieces of candy i bought for others

then a few home made Cookies my niece made (i didn't want to hurt her feelings!!)

other stuff too, don't want to mention cuz i don't want to start to tear in its memory :(

but as OP mentioned - NEVER, EVER eating stuff like this would be very sad

now i've had my fill of pumpernickel bread (for now :lol: )other stuff too

back to "normal" :D :blush: tomorrow

ahhhh, confession is good for the soul ;)

i feel better now :)

kathy

Edited by proudgrammy

Thank you all for your replies! Glad to know I'm not alone. Going to refocus tomorrow and try to do liquids for a few days.

Ugh I blew it big time. My stomach never hollered or Re-gifted so I'm on my own. Starting over and drinking extra fluids to was h out the binge I went on. Ugh. So disgusted with myself.

I am one of those who overate during these past few weeks. I attended a wedding, 4 parties and then a huge family Christmas dinner. I didn't beat myself up over it. I just hopped back on the wagon this morning and will continue my healthy eating from today onward. So I say to you, don't fret my friend. Take care and best of luck on your journey ☺

I also overindulged. So far, no regain (I realize it could take a bit to catch up on the scale) so no harm no foul right? Nope. As a result, I have that "out of control" feeling I used to have pre-surgery. For the last year (I am one year post op) I've had control over my eating for the first time EVER, but now that feeling of being out of control is back. I've awoken the carb monster. For the last several days I say "I'll start tomorrow" with the no sugar eating, then - I don't. I threw out anything in the house that was tempting me - Cookies, toffee, remnants of bags of chocolate chips and nuts (these weren't calling me from the cabinet but I got rid of them just in case), stocked up on some Premier drinks (costco in my area is carrying strawberry again, yay!) and started the 5 day pouch test yesterday. I need a re-set. I've maintained my exercise regime but I know I cannot out-exercise bad eating.

i too overiduldged this holiday. although for me, it is still WAYYY less than i used to eat, i've eaten the most i ever have since my surgery. unlike many others though, i too get hungry, and often! so it is easy for me to eat! the good thing is though, it is much easier for me to restart and refocus. don't let it get you down -- 100+ lb weight loss is awesome.