Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lap Band in 2008

Hey there. So...I had the lap band in 2008 and had a pretty stable and successful lap band life up until last year. I started at 225 and the lowest I got was about 165. My goal is around 155-160 so I was pretty close. Last year, around this time of year, I started having a lot of issues PBing and I could barely keep anything down. This went on for a few months and it was very difficult because I moved to a new state and the doctor there was giving me problems about scheduling an appointment because I had the surgery elsewhere. After dealing with it for so long, getting frustrated then finally throwing up blood, i decided to go to the ER. They unfilled me completely and said I had some reflux along with pre-ulcer symptoms. They advised me to keep it unfilled for a while and follow up with a lap band doctor. Well, then I had to move again for work to another state. So in the process of all that, I haven't had it refilled again since then. With that said....I'm now back up to 210lbs. That's about a 40lb weight gain from where I was this time last year. :-( Discouraged and disappointment doesn't even begin to explain how I feel. It took so long to get to the weight I was comfortable with. After moving it took months to finally get an appointment scheduled with a lap band doctor where I'm living now and I have an appointment for next week. In the photos you can see me at my heaviest and lightest. I'm not all the way back where I was but I'm almost there. The picture of me in blue button down sweater is recent and feel like that's going to be my "heavy" picture again. I feel like I'm starting all over again. :(

post-239582-0-19238800-1415146332_thumb.jpg

post-239582-0-13529100-1415146345_thumb.jpg

post-239582-0-87421400-1415146619_thumb.jpg

Just banded Halloween. All I can offer is a warm hug. This is a great forum... someone will respond.

I went through something very similar I got my band in 2009 and was almost at my goal and had the same symptoms and had all the Fluid removed and gained almost all of my weight back and now at a point where I'm feeling resrcition. Yes, i feel like I failed myself gaining that weight back but i also know that I can do it again and so can you. Be encouraged.

It's just a set back. You will lose the weight faster this time because you know how good it felt. You got this!

Hi there, I am only a year out but I've read lots of posts from others who have had similar situations. You are on this. You are finding a good medical professional in your new region and you're here on the forum looking for support. You will succeed as you did before -- please keep us posted on how you're doing. Getting that appetite dimmed is key. Meanwhile no sliders. Sending best wishes your way!

Never ever ever give up on yourself. You can do this and we will help. Stay connected here. The band will work again.

Got a fill on Tuesday. I have a 10cc band and the most I have had it filled was 4.5 and that was too tight. My last fill was at 4.1 and that's when I had a lot of complications and had it unfilled. This fill the doc tried putting 3.5 while I was in the office, but I could feel immediate restriction with the barium swallow, so he put 3.0. I was okay with that since I haven't had a fill in a year...but now, I'm barely feeling any restriction. I have a two week follow up, so I'm going to ask to get .2-3 more.

One thing he mentioned while he was doing the fluoroscopy was that he noticed that my band was very close to the esophagus. I guess, it's supposed to be a little bit below the esophagus to form the "pouch", but it's right at the edge of the esophagus so there's not much of a pouch per say so the fill is a little difficult. (He is not the doctor who performed my surgery) He said I should keep an eye on it long term as it could potentially cause issues to my esophagus long term.

Has anyone else had this issue?

My band did slip and my surgeon went back in and made an adjustment and I've been better. It is common for it to slip especially when you have all the Fluid removed. Ask if it is an option to have it moved.

I was banded in 2009. I initially did really well and lost 70lbs. I was feeling pretty good but not yet to my goal then my band slipped. I had it repaired but during surgery it broke so he had to put on a new one. After that, my MD had trouble adjusting my band. I eas either too tight and couldn't eat at all or too loose and ate everything! My weight slowly crept up. Then in 2012 I had a serious illness and I had to have all the Fluid removed from my band. I also had to take steroids long term. Between the two I really began to gain weight. Before I knew it, I had regained the 70 lbs I lost plus another 40lbs! I felt very defeated and kind of gave up and because of my mrdical issues (wich had nothing to do with the band) and my stwriod treatment, my MD wanted to hold off adjustments until I was better. Long story short, earlier this year, I began having adjustments an hit my "sweet" spot in June. Since then I have lost 40lbs! Don't be too discouraged, see your doc next week and talk with him/her about your troubles. They can help you get where you need to be. I hope all goes well! Good luck!

You got this!!!

I had my surgery November 8, 2008. I successfully went from 258 to 140. I had to have shoulder surgery in June of this year and now the fight is on. Blood sugar out of control, weight gain to 185, and thyroid medication d/t hypothyroidism, I am so ashamed of myself, I have gained all this weight and there seems to be nothing working. The Dr totally unfilled my band and since then he has put Fluid back. No luck I am still gaining, and I feel like a hungry bear with no stopping. Blood sugar is crazy. i took 100 unit of insulin prior to surgery and I was able to go off the anything at all for blood sugar. My A1c has climbed and now having to do sliding scale. Anyone else having these issues?

Edited by Wesley'sgurl29

Tightening due to a build up of scar tissue is increasingly being cited as a cause of band problems. And is beyond our control. Lucky ones, like me, only need a tiny amount of saline removed to deal with the problem. Hopefully you are one of those and will be able to get gradual refills. I have just realised this is an old thread - so fingers crossed that your problems have been sorted by now.

Ive had the same issues. Hope this is your new start and things go well! You can do it. Sometimes we just have to push the reset button.

Edited by Fluffy_Gurl

It sounds like me I been through it before I think what made me lose it then put most of it back on was the fact that my head was still on yo yo diet mode. I had to educate my mind and body that no longer will I yo yo. And change my lifestyle for good. Use the great tool that we have in the band and understand its a life long journey.

my yo yo appears to be take some Fluid out, feel too hungry, put some back in... i hate the needle, last time i got an adjustment was 6 months ago and I ave lost a couple of kg and kept it off! i think fluids for a few days and I should be okay rather than getting an adjustment!