Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Uh oh....am I doomed? former/current smokers PLS help!

Got a call from the Dr. with my date Nov 24th Yippie!!

But now I am freaking out because I was told I would not have a blood test but today they said I would. I am a smoker and have been for years. I quit when I was pregnant with both kids and another time, but NEVER cold turkey. I was, in my little plan, going to fully set my quit date for 10 days before surgery but now I am afraid the nicotine will show up in my blood test and I will be denied.

Has anyone smoked and passed the blood test?

Don't get me wrong, I am not going to go through all this only to continue to smoke, but I need to get in the mind set, I was planning to have my last Cig this Sunday night after the Halloween Bash. that would give me 23 days smoke free.

Anyone had a blood test for Nicotine?

Not sure if they test for nicotine, I also smoked for many years but I quit like 2 months ago, still using a vapor e cig..but zero nicotine fluids.

My surgery is also on the 24th, go for blood work and EKG on 11/7

P.S. - I got so mad about something today that I wanted one, I went out in the warehouse to ask the delivery guy for a cig, but he had already left, I guess I was saved. B)

I believe it stays in your system for 30 days, nicotine. But it's blood test-there is no beating it. It would most likely be UR surgeons office that will deny it. So maybe u can talk to someone in the office about using the patch? It still is nicotine but if u talk to someone saying you have quit but are still using the Patches here and there...maybe that could help?

Lemme know how u make out :)

Fingers crossed for ya!

I have had a ciggy or two since I officially 'quit' last January. My program requires you to quit smoking before they will even submit you to insurance. I have a visit with the NUT this Friday and I'm going to tell her that the stress of waiting for this surgery has gotten to me and I got some nicotine gum to avoid taking up smoking again. I'm just going to come out with it before I have any blood work done. That way they will expect to see it and won't disqualify me because of it.

I quit cold turkey last year September. It actually takes around three to seven days for the nicotine to not show up in blood. My friend quit 7 days before labs and he was clear.

I was required to pass 4 monthly nicotine tests prior to surgery. It was always a urine test so if they say you're getting a blood test you're probably fine. The first one I failed because I had quit only 8 days earlier although I was close to passing. The test looks for more than just nicotine which allows them to see if the nicotine is only patch related or if you're still smoking.

I'm sweating myself. I had my 1 week pre-op / pre-admission testing today. I last smoked last Saturday night after an argument at home and was stressed. Prior to that was a few days smoke free, so not too long. I had been trying on and off for the past couple of months. I read up online that you can detox by drinking a gallon of Water a day for 4 days. So I had 4.5 days before my testing today. I also ordered pee strips that test for cotinine/nicotine and I tested negative this morning before going to the hospital. They did not do a urinalysis but did draw blood. I will be on pins and needles until my surgery next Thursday as I wont know if there are any problems unless they call and they can call anytime (meaning they wont call to tell me all is a GO for surgery after today). I did read that nicotine is in blood shorter than in urine so I am cautiously optimistic. keeping fingers crossed. I think you will be fine if you stop now.

Oh My! I hope all will go well! PLEASE keep me posted!! BTW, where did you get those strips? I plan on my Quit day as this Monday....I will start drinking Water Water water! So hard to quit when nervous about the surgery

nprcowboy, on 30 Oct 2014 - 16:51, said:

I'm sweating myself. I had my 1 week pre-op / pre-admission testing today. I last smoked last Saturday night after an argument at home and was stressed. Prior to that was a few days smoke free, so not too long. I had been trying on and off for the past couple of months. I read up online that you can detox by drinking a gallon of water a day for 4 days. So I had 4.5 days before my testing today. I also ordered pee strips that test for cotinine/nicotine and I tested negative this morning before going to the hospital. They did not do a urinalysis but did draw blood. I will be on pins and needles until my surgery next Thursday as I wont know if there are any problems unless they call and they can call anytime (meaning they wont call to tell me all is a GO for surgery after today). I did read that nicotine is in blood shorter than in urine so I am cautiously optimistic. keeping fingers crossed. I think you will be fine if you stop now.

@@Jacqbult , I got them from Amazon were under $10 for like 5 or 10 of them.

Thanks @@nprcowboy I also spoke to a lady at my Dr. office and said they do not test for nicotine. Still am quitting but takes pressure off a bit. PHEW!!!

Had three monthly urine test for nicotine in January, February, and March. All clean. Do you think they’ll still test me when I have my pre-op labs drawn a week before surgery? I just find it hard to believe that they would make you prove for 3 months in a row and then test again later on. Opinions??

05/26/2018 09:36 AM, Sherrie_Legz said:

Had three monthly urine test for nicotine in January, February, and March. All clean. Do you think they’ll still test me when I have my pre-op labs drawn a week before surgery? I just find it hard to believe that they would make you prove for 3 months in a row and then test again later on. Opinions??
My guess is it’s likely. They know how addictive smoking is. If you’ve come all this way, why start smoking again?  It’s awful for the healing process. 

I had a urine test at my pre op appt one week before surgery and again the morning of. They told me it takes 14 days for your kidneys to clear nicotine and its byproducts. I quit in January and wasnt tested until April so I was fine. Struggle every day since surgery against starting back up as I smoked for over 30yrs....but so far am winning the war.

Sent from my SM-G955U using BariatricPal mobile app

I have to be free of nicotine for 2 months before they let you meet the surgeon. Not smoking or drinking or so days has been easy to give up getting rid of coffee is still a work in process. Anyone else?

I have to be free of nicotine for 2 months before they let you meet the surgeon. Not smoking or drinking or so days has been easy to give up getting rid of coffee is still a work in process. Anyone else?

I wasnt made to give up coffee until after surgery because it acts as a diuretic and dehydration is such a big concern immediately post op. I tried to have some anyway and it just made my stomach uncomfortable, so it turned out to be a non issue for a while. I am now a month post op and can handle about a half cup, and I'm happy with that.

Sent from my SM-G955U using BariatricPal mobile app