Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

CIGNA people-How long did it take for approval/denial?

Hello there! I knew you would eventually get approved! I pray all will go well for you. Please let me know your surgery date. I'm so happy for you!

God Bless

Thanks, Michiganer. I went to a seminar on Saturday and asked the question about what the ins. company is looking for with the diet. Her reply was basically, "Why the H*** do ins. companies do anything???"

You answered my question better than she did. I am afraid to lose a bunch of weight on the six month diet just like you were. Honestly, I think it's a good thing that I need to wait so long. It will help me to prepare myself emotionally. I'm thinking of trying to do a lot of the things I'll have to do when banded. Like chewing my food REALLY well, not drinking with meals, etc. Hopefully it will help if I develop some of these habits before the surgery.

I used to know someone that did denials/approvals for an insurance company. He said always appeal everything because they will deny in hopes that you won't pursue it.

Thanks again!

Ginny

I was denied 3 times by CIGNA, and now I am scheduled for surgery in Mexico. My BMi is 36 and I don't have co-mobities that CIGNA recognizes. (I do have asthma and arthritis in hips and knees.) First denial took over 30 days after I called and bugged them about the 30 day time frame. The next denial took 15 days after I submitted additional info, and then final denial took 15 days. They say I am "too healthy" to have the surgery. I am scheduled to have the surgery in Mexico this week.

Hello fellow Cigna folk. I only have one more dr. visit to finish out my 6 mo. red tape hoop jumping. I HAVE to have this surgery before years end for a lot of reasons. I am just wondering... is there anything I can do to make the approval come quicker? Are there any things NOT to do?

Just thought I would ask the "pros"

Thank you for the info. I have been on my journey for about 7 months. I finally completed Dr. visits. My paper work was submitted on Oct. 15. I was told it would take 15 business days before I would know something. Should I call Cigna and inquire? Or should I wait for my Dr. office to call me back? I have waited along time for this. I just don't want to ruin my approval. Shaun

I waited until I heard from Cigna. I was lucky because the insurance coordinator did all the leg work. She kept on top of it. Give it a little time and if you haven't heard in 15 days, call Cigna.

I don't know of any way to speed up approval. Unfourtunately, you are at the mercy of the insurance company. I also wanted things to get done before the first of the year so I just made sure to do all my extra stuff while I was doing the 6-month diet. I got my 1st psych eval done, my cardiac clearance done and gathered my letters of medical necessity. That way once I got approved, I had less to do. Good luck and I will be praying for a speedy approval!

Hello Michiganer,

Thank you for the info and prayer. I will try and be patient. I have no choice. I called my Dr. office today, to ask if they have heard anything. Well, I found out that, they actually sent my paper work in on Oct. 4th. It was returned to them on Oct. 11th. Dr. office returned it on Oct. 15th with paper work they said they sent to Cigna. Cigna said that they did not receive the fax. I have completed everything. I hope the Dr. office has sent everything need. Oh, I am originally from Michigan. I now reside in Tennessee. Shaun

Take this for what it is worth...

I was talking to the program administrator today at my docs office and we were talking about Cigna and how long they actually take to approve. She told me that they accidentally told her that Cigna tells all their customers that they have 30 days to approve or deny where in reality their policy is 15 days! She was glad to have that piece of info in order to keep them on the track when she files for me!

Hope it works in 15 days!

Take this for what it is worth...

I was talking to the program administrator today at my docs office and we were talking about Cigna and how long they actually take to approve. She told me that they accidentally told her that Cigna tells all their customers that they have 30 days to approve or deny where in reality their policy is 15 days! She was glad to have that piece of info in order to keep them on the track when she files for me!

Hope it works in 15 days!

This is the best news that I have heard all day. My paperwork was submitted on Monday 10/22.

I went to the pulmonologist yesterday and he thinks I have sleep apnea. I don't have any of the symptoms and I told him that. I sleep great, don't wake up gasping or choking, feel rested etc. He looked in my mouth and apparently because I have large tonsils, he thinks that I might have it. Tomorrow night I have to wear this oxygen thing on my finger. If my oxygen level drops overnight, I guess that means I stopped breathing. I just hope this doesn't delay my surgery! I just got approved and now I feel like I am hitting more bumps in the road! Grrrr!

Thank you, Cagstrom for the info. Hopefully I will hear something this week. I am praying for an approval this week.

Shaun

Praying is a great thing to do... But as my program administrator said when dealing with Cigna... CALL, CALL, CALL. Be the squeaky wheel!

Michiganer, If anything, the sleep apnea should help you get surgery. That is a co morbidity of being over weight. I have sleep apnea and the doc says when it comes to Cigna it will help get the surgery, supposedly.

:cry Hello all, I am alittle down. I was disapproved 10-29-07. I have faxed the letter to my doctor. There is a new insurance lady in his office. She said she was going to see what she could do. I am praying for a 360. Shaun

p.s. Still hopeful!

:cry Hello all, I am alittle down. I was disapproved 10-29-07. I have faxed the letter to my doctor. There is a new insurance lady in his office. She said she was going to see what she could do. I am praying for a 360. Shaun

p.s. Still hopeful!

I am very sorry to hear that. Did they say why you weren't approved?