Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

stabbing port pain

Hi, I was banded 3 weeks ago and over the last few days I have developed severe port pain, like someone stabbing me. this happens every time I use my abdonimals at all, like pulling out a drawer. I am worried the port has flipped, it feels like the stiches are ripping out every time I move. The nurse said to take nurofen and let it heal, but I am still worried. The pain is worse than anything I felt after surgery.

I can't believe this is normal, my initial recovery went well, I have been active with no problems til now.The nurse said they won't know if there's a problem until they try to access the port in 3 weeks, just wondering if it can cause worse problems to leave it so long?

;)

Anyone had this problem?

I had some minor port pain that was stabbing but it happened mostly when I laid on my left side a lot ( a lot being I slept on it and reclined on it ). I wasn't quite beyond a week of surgery when this happened. Once I switched sides for a few nights and consciously avoided my left side, the pain eased up.

You are not alone! My surgery was 6 weeks ago, and my port site was painful up until about a week ago. It was as if it up an left. Which was a wonderful thing since I too went through tramendous pain with my port site just as you are. Whenever I used my abes, I would cringe in pain.

Hopefully things will ease up soon for you!

thanks for that, at least I know it may be normal. i had myself convinced there was something wrong. Jen

I had severe pains and ended up in the ER thinking I had a blood clot (but didn't!) they never told me what it was, but I figured I either pulled a muscle or it was trapped gas (was worse when I did something that moved abdomen and laying on my side in bed was horrible)..

Now it's gone (my doc gave me more pain meds and said to baby it).

But, I have 4"x5" rectangle directly below my port incision, that is completely numb. I guess severed nerves, but my body is like playing mind tricks with me. ANY material (from clothes) that touches it, which shirts do of course, feels like I'm being rubbed raw with a piece of sand paper. It really bothers me at work and even now sitting here, anytime the clothing moves the slightest I get a bad burning feeling. But I looked at the skin, and its completely fine. The port incision has peeled a little bit I guess from the scab.. but the pain I'm feeling isn't really there.. my stomach is just processing the sensation it doesn't really feel as pain.. can't wait till that's gone :D

Hi, I was banded 3 weeks ago and over the last few days I have developed severe port pain, like someone stabbing me. this happens every time I use my abdonimals at all, like pulling out a drawer. I am worried the port has flipped, it feels like the stiches are ripping out every time I move. The nurse said to take nurofen and let it heal, but I am still worried. The pain is worse than anything I felt after surgery.

I can't believe this is normal, my initial recovery went well, I have been active with no problems til now.The nurse said they won't know if there's a problem until they try to access the port in 3 weeks, just wondering if it can cause worse problems to leave it so long?

:confused:

Anyone had this problem?

I am having that severe pain now.....simple movements an I am brought to tears. I have not experienced anything like this before. I have a call in to my doctor but I wanted to find out if you ever found the cause??

It is a stabbing burning pain like a hot knife!!! Help!!!! It just started 2 days ago but now it is more frequent!

Help!

Hi, the pain went away after about a week,and I have since had a fill with no problems. The surgeon said I had torn the muscle area by doing to much, as the port is stiched to the muscle I may have ripped the stiches and muscle. I took ibruprofen for about a week, didn't take the pain away but i could function (just) and it disappeared about one week later. It was the worst pain I experienced post op, and probably ever.

Thanks for the quick reply. It is the worst pain I have ever felt! I can live with it if it will go away eventually but the thought of living like this is scary!

My doc said as long as it is not infected (no fever etc) then to just take pain meds but you know they do not take this pain away!!

I hope that in a week it will all be forgotten! Thanks again, Maureen

I was banded on May 15,2007 and I to have experienced this stabbing pain.If feels to me like the stiches were pulling away from the muscle or something.When will the abs ever feel normal again,are we going to ever not feel the port pulling?

I still keep getting the stabbing pain . I feel great otherwise. As I said it can stop me dead in my tracks!!! I am so scared that it will never go away!!! I am going to the doc on Thursday so I will see what he says. I do not want him to have to re-do my port but I cannot live like this. I cannot bend over to tie my shoes, it wakes me up during the night if I try to move the wrong way, I cannot laugh or sneeze. It usually hurts getting in and out of the car. It is such a burning pain....Help!

I was banded on May 15,2007 and I to have experienced this stabbing pain.If feels to me like the stiches were pulling away from the muscle or something.When will the abs ever feel normal again,are we going to ever not feel the port pulling?

It has been three weeks now, the stabbing pain is less frequrent but the port/abs are still very sore. I haven't told anyone about surgery but sometimes I walk like I am just leaving the hospital.

How is your pain, are you still haveing the pulling/stabbing pain???

I was banded in April. My port hurt sooo bad, it was like something inside of me ripping out. My doctor blew me off, however two of his nurses said I probably had experianced some nerve damage.

also my skin near and below the port was sooooo sensitive it felt sunburned!!!???

I thought this pain was going to last forever and was considering having the port removed and switched to the other side. Going on eight weeks now and its finally feeling much better. I think we are the minority most people do NOT experiance this...

Just a suggestion to anyone out there going thru this pain, the nurse gave me a perscription for lydoderm (spelling?) pain patchs, they stick on and you keep them on for 12 hours off for 12 hours they saved my life...

You are so right. the skin right above my port feels like suburn. Clothes touching it can hurt. I can not imagine a fill now ......ouch!!! The stabbing pain is much less frequent now but not soon enough for me.

Thanks for the suggestions.......good luck

I am experiencing this off and on too. My doc says it is muscle spasms in the muscle where he sutured the port to. He says it can take weeks for that muscle to settle down.