Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I've heard a lot of people talk about how after surgery they were deathly nauseous because of the "anesthesia".

I've had at least 4 other surgeries before my vsg which is coming up quick (9/8/14) and have never experienced nausea from going under. So my question is, is the nausea actually caused by the anesthesia or the pain medication that is administered?..That one I can believe as I was nauseous and throwing up the whole labor and birth of my daughter (TMI) after they gave me my epidural.

I think it is from the pain meds. Your description of your previous surgery sounds like mine with my sleeve.

@@fezik23

Were you not nauseous after surgery?

Very little. I'd say on a scale of 1-10, it didn't even make a 2.

And I have had more nausea from narcotic pain meds in the past, but never really from surgery.

I hope that helps.

I've heard a lot of people talk about how after surgery they were deathly nauseous because of the "anesthesia".<br> I've had at least 4 other surgeries before my vsg which is coming up quick (9/8/14) and have never experienced nausea from going under. So my question is, is the nausea actually caused by the anesthesia or the pain medication that is administered?..That one I can believe as I was nauseous and throwing up the whole labor and birth of my daughter (TMI) after they gave me my epidural.

I was sleeved on wed (8/20) and I had bad nausea from the anesthesia. By day 3 it finally started to wear off. This was the first surgery I've had so I wasn't sure how my body would react to the drugs.

I get sick from the anesthesia but warned them. They hit me hard with the anti nausea drugs so I didn't vomit.

I was one of those people that got ridiculously sick after my sleeve surgery, which took 45 minutes of actual anesthesia and then 2 days of IV drugs. Just this week I had a 6 hour plastic surgery procedure, with 6 hours of anesthesia and only one very small dose of IV pain meds, and I did not have any nausea at all. I warned the doctor this time about my awful experience before and I'm fairly sure he added some phenergan into my anesthesia cocktail, but overall I really do feel like it was more the IV pain drugs than the actual anesthesia that made me sick. As soon as I asked that we stop using IV drugs and switch to liquid Advil, my nausea was gone in a few hours.

My advice would be to let your doctor and the anesthesiologist know your concerns and they should be able to work it out to minimize your nausea. Good luck in surgery!

I was dry heaving severely initially in recovery but they gave me some med to knock me back out. They told me it would make me very sleepy so I slept about 14 hours straight. After I woke up from that, the nausea was very manageable by regular anti nausea meds.

I was sleeved on wed (8/20) and I had bad nausea from the anesthesia. By day 3 it finally started to wear off. This was the first surgery I've had so I wasn't sure how my body would react to the drugs.

I was also sleeved on 8/20 and as soon as they took me to my room I started to dry heave and it felt horrible, I was nauseous up until yesterday so im going to say it was the pain meds because the anesthesia has been out of my system for some days now

I've never gotten sick from pain meds, but the first time I had surgery I was super nauseous waking up. The next 2 times I went under (including for VSG) I warned the anesthesiologists of my issue and whatever they gave me worked like a charm....no nausea.

Post-op nausea is due to a few things: Any type of ENT procedure, anesthetic gases that you breathe in during the surgery, and IV narcotic pain meds that are given during surgery, after surgery and sometimes even pre-operatively.

If you don't want to deal with any nausea, tell your pre-op nurse and anesthesiologist the day of surgery that you get really bad post-op nausea, even if you don't. It is easier to be treated prophylactically for nausea, than to hope for the best afterwards; the odds are not on your side even if you've never had it before.

You should be given the following (barring any allergies):

Pre-op: Scopalamine patch, IV Decadron, IV Phenergan

Intra-op: IV Zofran, IV Neostigmine, and sometimes IV Reglan

Post-op: If needed, IV Phenergan. If unrelieved, IV Droperidol. Persistant nausea, small dose of Propofol, which must be given by an anesthesiologist.

Fix it before you have a chance to get it!