Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dissapointed in my band!!

Hi Girls, Thanks for the opinion on the omnipack Fleur, i see my doctor in about 3 weeks so i will ask him then and hopefully he will have that coz i really do feel like i am at a dead end now!! it does get me down. hopefully things will change:nervous

Hi Everyone!!:) well today i am off to see my doctor about my band, i am going to ask him about the Omnipack like you mentioned Fleur so i hope something can be done there!! i will let you all know how i go when i come back!! Lets hope its all good!!:D

Hi Phili, a quick question, apart for feeling your dissappointment i hope things start looking up for you, this is hard enough without this, anyhoo if the weight loss is not showing on the scales do you feel like you are losing it in measurement, are you clothes feeling big on you???

Cheers Jane

Hi Flamingnutters!!

:)

i have not been having any luck with mu band at all since i had the new one put in last october,i have put on weight and im very dissapointed,my clothes do feel tighter and i dont even want to weigh myself anymore!!:faint:,i go to the doctor and get refilled almost every fortnight,i have around 15ml in my band now and still going,thats alot!!!:omg: i have gotten to the point now where i just eat rice cakes,crackers with cheese and sometimes ham (the 97% fat free one!!),and drink the slimskakes in hope that might help but i dont know yet. im begginnig to give up and have no idea why this doesnt work:help:,i have asked my doctor and he says to keep putting Fluid in till i feel full restriction,but this is taking too long now and im not happy:think i see him again on monday coming and im going to let him know how i have been eating and why its still not working:confused:. has anyone else ever experienced something similar?!!!!:blush:

Phili,

I hear your frustration and haven't said anything up until now but maybe you need a bit of tough love? If not don't read on.

My advice is to be 100% totally honest with your doctor about exactly what you are eating & drinking (heads-up: he's not stupid, your not fooling him, just be honest). Take in a full weeks food journal and weigh out the food - don't guess. The slimming shakes are keeping the weight on you - they do not help at all - they are liquid calories and your band doc should be telling you to stay far away from them - NO liquid CALORIES.

If you weight isn't going down quite simply you are consuming too many calories for your body. If you consume less calories you will lose weight - this is what your doc is trying to achieve by giving you fills. If you drink slim shakes and eat food that goes straight through the band (crackers) you are working against him, not with him. You need to be eating solid food like chicken/beef (not deli sliced) to really work your band.

Why have you swapped fish & vegetables for ham & cheese (fat) with crackers? The fish & vegetables were probably a much much better option for weight loss. How much chocolate are you eating a week? A 250g block of cadbury is equivallent to about 2 full days worth of food.... how often would you eat a block honestly? (don't have to tell me, but be honest with yourself).

With the change in food choices and other things you have mentioned I think you probably do have 'restriction', but it's the big band type of restriction not the vomit type of restriction you had with the small band.... you don't need vomit restriction.... just need to learn to listen to the new band about when to stop (cause it will let any food through, just a bit uncomfortably). Are you hungry alot??? If you are not hungry are you eating when you are not hungry just because it's "meal time"???

As for exercise, what you are doing with your friend sounds great. You should be able to hold a conversation while you walk (not be too puffed out to) if you are wanting to exercise in your target heart rate to burn fat. Far too many people have dropped dead these last few months in Victoria following the sweating and pushing yourself to the extreme advice - only take health/exercise advice from doctors - remember anything you read here is just an opinion and not medical advice so clear stuff with your doc before you make serious changes.

Sorry to be so brutally honest with you but it's been a really long time so maybe you needed to hear it.

Hi Phili, isn't it so frustrating, i read a post somewhere yesterday and there was someone having the same problems, they went to a new DR and they took out the Fluid in the band and there wasn't nearly as much in the band as was meant to be, then they refilled the band and for the first time she felt the restriction, so maybe in your case you could ask you dr to extract the Fluid and see what is in there and then refill it, maybe the fluid isn't being inserted properly, which i am sure can happen. This is my suggestion.

Good luck, at the moment i have the opposite problem, i had a top up on monday night and i haven't been able to keep a sip of Water down, so i have been overfilled and i feel extremely uncomfortable, hopefully by tonight all will be fixed for me, although i have to drive 200 km one way to see the DR:angry

Cheers jane

Hi

Well I had a leak in my port that I did nopt know about! I was feeling slightly restricted for about 2 weeks with apparently 7 mls in my 10ml band, and then all of a suden I had no restriction whatsoever! My DR took out all my fill and there was only 4 mls in there. So then he filled it with dye left it for an hour. I felt like I was chocking on my own spit at first then gradually through the hour it lessened. So back under the xray and DR discovered I had a leaky port!!!

So I have since then had my port replaced, and in recoverey and then next week I can Have a fill put in!

So to make a long bloody story short, maybe you should get your port checked?

Hi Phili,

I was banded early last year. I have lost no weight. I have put on no weight. I have restriction, I have been good, I have exercised. I do not have a band problem. I watch what I eat. My weight didnt go up and down like most for 10yrs prior to banding. I could go months of being very good, leaving with a personal trainer for 6mths or go months of eating what I want and the weight never moved.

I am happy with myself and my life in general. I realised going into this some it just doesnt work for some and they dont know why. My surgeon agrees I am apart of the 5%. Its hard, especially watching so many other succeed. I wanted this to work. To ensure that I wasnt kidding myself, I have been on lite'n'easy for 2mths now. Guess what, I have not cheated it (except for a handful of bullets one day) and no weight change.

As Cam mentioned, I need to take in less cals. I know at 1200cals I dont drop weight. (Well less as the breads etc I cant eat) If I have more fill in I am sick & it has to be removed. I think now I have had 18 adjustments.

After reviewing everything, knowing what I have tried and what I havent, I spoke about other options. Now I have to consider the sleeve. That would bring my cals down to about 600per day. I dont know what I going to do just yet. I just know although I only have weight as my only health issue in time they will change so I need to think about this.

TO be honest I am scared about another op and failure. I said that to my surgeon and he corrects me, saying it is not failure, it doesnt work for all, this is a disease and although I dont believe that I am trying.

I now this road is hard when you are trying and nothing seems to work. I hope you are able to find what you needs to get your results. You arent alone in this. Results we be worth it one day, have to have faith right

Take care

Regards

Lisa

Hi Tolmc:), wow i was beginning to think i was the only one!! i have even changed my eating habbits again and cut more food out and still no luck!!:faint: i just dont get it!!! could you please tell me what "the sleeve " is?:) i have never heard of that before. is it another operation? hope everyone is well!!!

I am so sorry for those of you still struggling and not losing - I really feel for you :cry

I am not being banded until 22 October, and so am reading everything I can.

I have read that the volume per meal should be 1/4 cup, and somewhere else about 1 - 1 1/2 cups of food. Is there an average amount to strive for, or that is recommended?

I was seriously hoping as I started to lose, I would have some energy and incentive to move more, but its so hard right now. So I can understand the exercise thing too - I gues we all can or we wouldn't be here :rose: