Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Struggling through Pre-Op diet

Okay today is day 2 of my pre-op diet and I swear I did not think it would be so difficult. My surgeon has me on the light version where I can eat a meal at dinner ( lean Protein and veggies or a salad) and 2 shakes and a Protein Bar throughout the day. I will begin the full preop diet when I get closer to my October date (he wants me to lose 25 lbs so my liver can shrink). Both days I've completely messed up. Yesterday I did great during the day, but went to a restaurant with a friend who is leaving town and ordered what I wasn't supposed to. I went to the gym this morning and burned 700 cals in guilt and did okay the rest of the day, but just had a small serving of Pasta for dinner. Right now I'm feeling like a failure. How can I change my lifestyle if I can't even succeed on the light version of the pre-op diet? Anyone else struggle through pre-op diet? Any tips?

Edited by _2juicy_

Well, just suck it up and do it?

Do you have any good Protein shakes?

I'm using the GNC Lean shake Swiss chocolate one.

It's pretty damn good! And very, very filling and satisfying.

You know you CAN do this.

No drama llama -- just do it. :)

How can I change my lifestyle if I can't even succeed on the light version of the pre-op diet? Anyone else struggle through pre-op diet? Any tips?

That is the million dollar question. If I could have stuck to the pre op diet then I wouldn't have needed surgery. I think they make us do it just to see how dedicated we are to the process.

No advice except to take a nap and stay out of the house as much as you can!!

We have all struggled. The first 3 days of full pre op diet were the hardest.

As vsg ann says - suck it up and do it and you will feel better for t !

Trust me. Just a couple days of aggravation.

You've done crazy before as I have this isn't the worst one.

I know you can do it! I trust you to come back here at day 7 and say - hey those first 3 were a bitch but I did it!

Hi there,

I used pickles to curb the urge for bad behavior during my liquid preop. I will say this. Just keep reminding yourself that if you do not shrink your liver, your surgeon could do one of two things. He could start surgery and cancel it all together because of the risk of damaging your liver which you need to live, or he could opt to do a full blown open surgery which would mean a longer, more painful, and dangerous recovery for you. Preop is a very difficult time because you don't have the surgery to reinforce good behavior. I place your scale close to your refrigerator, drink a metric ton of fluids, and if you feel you want to cheat, have a veggie stick of some kind without dip. You HAVE to get the fat off of and out of that liver. You can do it. YOU ARE WORTH IT. YOU ARE THE DAUGHTER OF A KING

I ate lots of sugar free popsicles. After a few days it does get better but I struggled to at first. You can do it!!

Well, just suck it up and do it? Do you have any good Protein Shakes? I'm using the GNC Lean shake Swiss chocolate one. It's pretty damn good! And very, very filling and satisfying. You know you CAN do this. No drama llama -- just do it. :)

I was given opti fast by my NUT. I am doing it though.. Kicking and screaming but I'm taking it one day at a time. Thank you so much for the advice and suggestions. When I get though this, it will only make me stronger

Thank you all.. I've been watching loads of VSG youtube's to keep me motivated. I did much better today, and I don't feel very hungry.. Just a little but when I do I drink Water and it goes away. I have found myself standing at the fridge or looking in cabinets and I guess that just goes to show that one of my triggers is boredom. I'm going to start a food journal, so I can keep tabs on my mood when I ate as well as what I'm eating. I'm also working out to help keep my weight down.

Thinking of shrinking my liver just keeps me that much more focused, so thank you so all so much. It's nice to have people to vent to. Some of the people around me support me, but don't know what's it's really like to be on this journey.

I start my pre-op diet tomorrow. The nutritionist said to think of it as a modified Atkins. My surgery is scheduled for August 25th. I am excited to meet the new me. I hope your journey gets a little easier. Good luck. Michele

I did. I lost no weight before my surgery, I gained! I moved my surgery date up and there were no complications. Just do the best you can to avoid fats. The pre op is to lower the fat around your liver so that the dr can get to your stomach easier. Don't sweat it.

Now that I am post op just over a week, it's a mental game. Certainly not physical. You WILL have to follow your duet afterwards or you'll injure yourself. The surgery is a tool. Use it wisely!!! It's the hardest thing I had to get through so far physically and now I did it there's no turning back. Happily I am 14 lbs lighter.

Good luck!!!

I've been planning and researching about the sleeve for 18 months- I was a huge regular coke fan- so probably about May I stopped buying pop, and bringing money to work so I wouldn't have change available to buy from the vending machine-

I don't start my Protein Shakes and small lean meal on 8/25/14.

I struggle with really giving up sugars-sweets-

I'm doing little changes that will make the transition to liquids easier-

This is your chance!! We are going to have little voices wanting foods that we can't have. Trigger foods... Challenge yourself - list the dates and make off each day of success. Small day to day goals-

You can do this !

You right.. The first few days are the toughest. Now it's not so bad and much easier to stick to. I have more energy and it's nice being full without that "too full heavy" feeling.

So far, down 6lbs in 4 days! I'll keep you guys postes

What worked for me was reminding myself of why I chose to do it, revisiting the bucket list post on my blog, and searching through this website for success stories. My struggle with the pre-op diet was emotional and mental, so focusing on emotional and mental outcomes helped me through. I agree with what others have said though, the first few days are the hardest. I also don't believe that if you struggle with the pre-op diet that you will necessarily "fail" with the surgery. I struggled BIG time with the pre-op diet, definitely had some slip-ups on it, and at 11 months post op, 136 pounds lost, and hanging out below goal, I consider myself to be successful despite the struggle with the pre-op part of it. :-) Hang in there!

hey, you'll get throught it. And you get food you can chew! lol. I get two shakes, and a pudding like "substance" from a packet. mmm-mm. Lots of Water, and 8oz of coffe/tea if I want it ( I drink decaf) SF Jello, SF popsicles. A light meal would make this a walk in the park. :D But I know it's just he beginning and I have to get used to it. So I grumble a bit and carry on.

One more day of this and it's the big day. Then the real fun starts. So I guess I should enjoy eating "normal" while I have this tummy not yelling back at me. :rolleyes:

You'll make it through - hang tough!!