Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi there,

My name is Stephanie, and I'm 23 years old. I am currently around 125kg. I am so sick and tired of being the way I am. I have a really low self esteem, and have tried every kind of diet possible, and nothing seems to work.

I was at the gym twice a week for personal training, and had to give that up because my back is really bad. I see an endocronologist (sp? It was never my strong suit, lol), and he suggested lap banding. I flat out refused, why? Because I wanted to do everything in my own power to overcome it by myself. But nothing has worked.

I am really worried that I won't be able to control what I eat anymore, I really really eat so much junk it's not funny, but I'm really not happy. I've had a couple of boyfriends, but I want a husband, and kids. I have Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, so concieving might not even be possible.

My back is a major issue with me as well. I've missed work because of it and I just don't want to go through that, and loosing my job because of it. I also get really sick alot and I'm so annoyed at myself! :angry ! Because I know I can do better and I don't.

So anyway, My Mum and Dad have gone back over the subject of lapbanding again tonight, and I think it's time for me to take a step forward. Nothing else has worked, and I think this might be a way for me to change my life.

If I were to loose half my weight.. imagine that... I would be so much happier!! I think my first goal is to get under 100kgs though. That in itself would be a huge accomplishment. It's going to be a big change. I think I just need some real encouragement.

((By the way, I know that my email address is a boys.. That's a character I use for a forum, but I'm always on MSN with it... So yeah!))

Stephie

Stephie

We're all been exactly where you are. But some of us have waited years and had even more failed diets before we figured out what you are figuring out now. No matter how many infomercials say all we need to do is exercise and diet...or we're lazy...we know that we have tried and tried. There comes a point where you just have to say that your body and brain are wired differently and you have to mechanically fix things. I used to just hate that I didn't have self control. I just hated it so badly. And I was sure that getting the band was the easy way out. I was so wrong.

It used to be impossible. The band just makes it hard work. But hard work I can succeed at. And that boost my self esteem. Now, I don't have the cravings and the food seeking, but I still have to face my demons and do the right thing. But I CAN for the first time in my life. Some days are still a struggle. Some days are perfect. All days are better. On average, I'm losing just under 2 pounds a week.

You'll still have to struggle with the depression that comes with back injuries. I have to struggle with Lupus. We all have our own stories. I had to learn about being happy no matter what I wiegh, but it sure is easier weighing less! But losing weight will surely also help your back, as it has helped me. Start by reading everything you can. It's an interesting journey and a huge learning curve.

Best wishes. Keep posting and reading.

Stephie:

I too have PCOS and am overweight. My endocrinologist told me that some type of gastric procedure would be best for me because of the problems that PCOS brings on with hormone levels, over production of insulin, etc. etc. all of the things you know it causes. I am in the process of getting approved for the lap band myself and wish I had years ago. You will be able to get pregnant with PCOS (I have two precious children that are proof of it) but in my attempt to get pregnant with my first one I was on prednisone and packed 70 lbs on in one month. It was successful since I was able to get pregnant that month but that 70 lbs I've never lost. Don't give up the fight, you can do it and will come out glowing in the end. I'm not sure what the kg to lb ratio is but I can understand where you are...my weight is not anywhere near where I would like it to be but with the help and assistance of the band I know I will be able to. hang in there and at the early age of 23 you have plenty of time to find that man of your dreams. I found mine at 27....and am as happy as can be!!! I want to get my weight off now to be healthy and to watch my kids grow and see grandkids come in to this world.

With PCOS you and I both know you can do all sorts of things and you just feel like you are spinning your wheels. I worked out at a gym 3 days a week with a personal trainer for 6 months and never lost.....ever since then I just had given up...and when my internist mentioned Lap Banding I had never researched it...so in a matter of two weeks of researching I know it is what I need to do!!!

Good luck and let us know how it all goes!!!! Keep your chin up!!!!

I wish you all the best of luck whatever you decide to do. It should be your decision though, not your parents. It is quite a drastic action to take. I'm 31 now and have been dieting for as long as I can remember!;) I had my band fitted on 20 December 06 after uuumming and ahhing for ages. I've lost 3st 8 since October last year when I first went to see the dietician before surgery. I think it's the best thing I've done but it's definitely not a magic cure. You stil have to be careful what you eat and exercise. The weight loss, for me anyway, isn't as quick as I would like or as people expect it to be. I'm losing around 1-1.5lbs a week at the moment. Mind you it could never be fast enough for me.:biggrin1: My main reason for being banded was to help me maintain my weight loss rather than to make me lose the weight. I was so fed up with yo-yoing from 13st to 19st!!!!

Hope I've helped. You wouldn't be human if you weren't nervous at the prospect of surgery and a complete change to your eating habits.

Where are you Stephie? You sound like an Aussie, lol.

I think if you get yourself in to see a surgeon, that's the first step, you dont have to make a final decision about it yet.

You're young but boy oh boy I wish I could have my 30's back and not have spent them being fat and miserable. I wish I'd been thin and fit like I am now when my kids were small. I just think with people of your age too, you just have 2 strikes against you to be battling your weight now, for women especially and especially when they have babies, the 30's are such a danger time for becoming really obese, your life just spirals out of control when you bring babies into the picture. I so wish I'd known that. And if you suffer from PCOS and worry about conceiving, getting your weight under control NOW and not when you've been doing the heartbreaking rounds of IVF or simply trying to conceive for years on end could save you a lot of heartache and lost time.

You're young and in the prime of your life and your body will respond so well to this, and you have everything to look forward to at a normal weight.

Give it some good consideration. Its not for everyone for sure, but its a miracle for many. And if you're living with your Mum and Dad, they need to know all about it too.

Good luck with it!

Thanks so much for your encouragement guys. You're right Jachut, I am an Aussie. I live in Brisbane. Do you know of good surgeons that I could maybe go and see around my area? I'd like to at least meet with one and just discuss it. I think that would be the first step.

I've battled my weight for many years, I have always been on the large size, but since entering my teens to now - It's gone up heaps. The side effect of PCOS is weight gain, and I think that's part of the reason why I find it so difficult to loose weight.

I know that it's going to be a tough journey, but knowing that my parents are behind me, and you guys too! I think that I will be able to make it. My best friend is also obese, but I don't think she's ever going to consider lap-banding. I don't think I'm going to discuss with her about getting it done because I'm really scared she's going to talk me out of it. And so I'll tell her after it's done, or maybe when I'm in hospital or something, but not before hand.

Thanks for the encouragement though, I really appreciate it. :lol:!

And and so you know. 125kg is about 275.5 lbs.

Hiya

I was quite open with people about my surgery and they all supported me. I have a friend who I wasn't sure if I should tell her either. Even she was supportive. She basically said that if it made me happy to go for it. My father in law was the other person who I thought would be against the idea and even he was behind me. Sometimes people surprise you.:) It's up to you whether you decide to tell people or not. I was worried that if I didn't they would worry because I was eating so much less.

You could always try to bring it up in general conversation to find out her views and decide from there.

Good luck! X

Do you know of good surgeons that I could maybe go and see around my area?

Hi Brumbie! There are a few surgeons in Brisbane (mine is the best though! lol)

http://www.lapband.com.au/Search.asp?state=QLD,#Bottom

http://www.blairbowden.com.au/ (Auchenflower)

http://www.lapbanding.com.au/ (Greenslopes and Ipswich)

http://www.sunnybankobesitycentre.com/ (Sunnybank)

I hope that helps a little.

Thanks Chickie,

I'm going to talk to my endocrinologist when I next see him, Professor Carey, :)! so yeah. I think he might recommend the one at the Wesley. He probably has his favourites.

Anyway, thanks for the info, Oh, just a Question, how long do you stay in hospital for? Like is it just for the operation or do you have to stay for a few days? Just curious

Congratulations on your decision to have lapband...I feel it is the best thing I have ever done for myself...I would do it again ....good luck...I hope all works out for you...