Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi everyone I am being banded tommorrow and as expected I am very nervous, just packed my bag, can anyone tell me if I should expect a lot of pain, and does anyone know how long the op takes generally, I have been reading posts on this site for a while and you have all been really positive which has helped me stick to my:clap2: pre op diet!!!!

i was banded a week ago...

i got to the hospital at 630 am, went into surgery at 715am, and i woke up from my anestethia (spelled wrong, sorry!) at around 9-930. i made two trips the the radiology floor (shoulda been one, but it was two due to the incompetence of some "doctor" who didnt even no what he was looking for om my floroscope...*sign*) took a nap in recovery for 2 hours, and left at around 5pm. it was a one day deal, but o man.. i still feel it! yesterday and today are really the first time ive felt even remotly normal again. got up, walked around, drove a bit.. the first week will be rough, but after that every day you will feel better and better. ...just make sure you have someone to help you get up when you need to, your going to be sore. on a scale from one to ten, one being effotless, 10 being a major what the hell did i just do pain in my ass, id rate my surgery and post op week at a 7. coulda been worse, also coulda been alot better..

hope this helps, and dont be scared!!!! the first day is the worst, once you get through that, youve gone thru the worst part (pain wise) and remember, the doctors give you pain pills for a reason! no point in suffering when you can just sleep the pain away.

thats what i did

o, and good luck!

Good Luck tomorrow! I was banded on Friday. Everyone's pain threshold is so different. I have a very high one so I am not a good judge. But the folks on these threads are right, drag yourself out of that hospital bed as soon as they say it is ok to do so. Move around, walk, etc. I feel good today and going to work on Thursday. I almost did not get the gasX and tums and I am glad I listened to the "wise banded ones". Best wishes!

Good Luck Doriso and it'll be over before you know it!! I'm scheduled for Friday and my Doctor told me the surgery will be about 1 hour. I don't know what to expect for pain. I did have my gallbladder removed 2 1/2 years ago and the pain was not bad at all. I mostly slept for two days because of the anesthesia (sp?) and then I felt fine. I do have a tip though, I used small pieces of fleece for the bigger incision where my bra would sit and where my pants button. It helped w/rubbing and I'm big chested (hopefully not for much longer after I loose weight).... Good Luck B)

hi dorisa,

everyone's experience is different. before my operation....i read many posts and was scared to death....and most of it never happened.

i went in at 6:30 am. they operated at 9:00 am. i woke up at 10:30. took a little nap. then they made me walk 4 laps around nurses staion (1 at a time) and also i had to pee before they would release me. i was out by 2:00

the only issue i had was major nausea from anesthesia for about 10 hours after surgery and left shoulder pain.

the key is to walk, walk walk and also do the breathing exercises they have you do.

this is to avoid blood clots in the legs and pneumonia. these are possible complications from the anesthesia (they are rare but i was scared and followed their orders)

i didnt have any pain from the operation.....the first day for me was the worst and then every day afterwards....i felt better

good luck and dont worry (altho' we all did) when i did worry i thought of all of the positive people on this site that went before me and said they would do it again.

Hi,

Good luck with your banding...you will be fine...I was banded on 4/6/07 and I went to surgery center at 6:30- taken to surgery around 9:00...was at home by 11:30....no problems...

BAnded 4/18 - Surgery started at 9:30am. Woke up around noon. I also had hiatal hernia repaired, so perhaps reason for length. Pain was pretty darn bad, but was told that was because of the hernia repair. The pain in the shoulder/left side of chest was awful - but was because of the gas. I got out of the hospital at about 5pm, mostly because of some delays and miscommunication between some of the nurses.

My pain wasn't nearly as bad as I expected it to be, but then everyone is different. Good luck with the surgery and remember to post and let us know how you did!:rolleyes::D

:biggrin1: :biggrin1:

Hi everyone I am being banded tommorrow and as expected I am very nervous, just packed my bag, can anyone tell me if I should expect a lot of pain, and does anyone know how long the op takes generally, I have been reading posts on this site for a while and you have all been really positive which has helped me stick to my:clap2: pre op diet!!!!

I just wanna say a big thankyou to everyone for their support I have done it! got banded at 3pm on wednesday I was a little sick after and the wind pain wasn't very nice but I got up and walked around for ages! had a good snooze then came ut of hospital on the thursday morning all glued up and ready to roll!!! This is the first day of the rest of my life I thought you only live once and I am goona make the most of it! Lost 10 pounds on my pre op which I was impressed with!!!!! Thanks fellow bandsters:clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

Congratulations....that is super..sounds like you are on the road to recovery....glad the surgery went well....take it easy for the next few days...don't over do it...

Di/Texas

Thanks so much! I have made my weight line thing from the ticker factory but can you tell me how to get it on this screen as I am rubbish at IT and cant work it out!