Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What is your MBTI  

1 member has voted

1. 1. What is your MBTI

I was really wondering if anyone had done a study of how the different types deal with weight loss. Is there anything out there that talks about the best way this type is motivated to lose?
I don't know about specific correlations to weightloss off hand (in terms of actual studies), but there are correlations to behaviors, and behaviors will eventually determine your success. (THAT'S why the best answer to "is this right for me?" is that it depends on what behaviors you will or will not be able to change.)

For example, most "Type A" or "Red" or "Driver" (whatever you want to call it - pick your model) personalities will also possess INTX characteristics. This group is going to be the more results-oriented group which is why if they aren't scientists, doctors, engineers, etc. they're going to do best in some type of leadership position (I believe INTJ is most likely to be a high level officer, as in corporate officer, not police officer). This type does, or doesn't. They're reticient to engage in something they might not be able to succeed at. They don't like to fail and won't set themselves up for it. This is why when they diet, they're usually successful at losing the weight, even if they don't keep it off... and why they won't try to diet unless everything is lined up perfectly.

(I made some absolute statements, even though I'm speaking in general terms)

I'll use myself as a guinea pig. Here's an extremely accurate description of an INTJ. I've highlighted some of the specific areas that can (and do) impact weightloss/weight gain, focus on appearance, and all those other factors that play into it. You could do the same for any MBTI.

So anyone who ever wanted a day in the life of Wheetsin, here you go. rolleyes.gif

To outsiders, INTJs may appear to project an aura of definiteness, of self-confidence. This self-confidence, sometimes mistaken for simple arrogance by the less decisive, is actually of a very specific rather than a general nature; its source lies in the specialized knowledge systems that most INTJs start building at an early age. When it comes to their own areas of expertise -- and INTJs can have several -- they will be able to tell you almost immediately whether or not they can help you, and if so, how. INTJs know what they know, and perhaps still more importantly, they know what they don't know.

INTJs are perfectionists, with a seemingly endless capacity for improving upon anything that takes their interest. What prevents them from becoming chronically bogged down in this pursuit of perfection is the pragmatism so characteristic of the type: INTJs apply (often ruthlessly) the criterion "Does it work?" to everything from their own research efforts to the prevailing social norms. This in turn produces an unusual independence of mind, freeing the INTJ from the constraints of authority, convention, or sentiment for its own sake.

INTJs are known as the "Systems Builders" of the types, perhaps in part because they possess the unusual trait combination of imagination and reliability. Whatever system an INTJ happens to be working on is for them the equivalent of a moral cause to an INFJ; both perfectionism and disregard for authority may come into play, as INTJs can be unsparing of both themselves and the others on the project. Anyone considered to be "slacking" including superiors, will lose their respect -- and will generally be made aware of this; INTJs have also been known to take it upon themselves to implement critical decisions without consulting their supervisors or co-workers. On the other hand, they do tend to be scrupulous and even-handed about recognizing the individual contributions that have gone into a project, and have a gift for seizing opportunities which others might not even notice.

In the broadest terms, what INTJs "do" tends to be what they "know". Typical INTJ career choices are in the sciences and engineering, but they can be found wherever a combination of intellect and incisiveness are required (e.g., law, some areas of academia). INTJs can rise to management positions when they are willing to invest time in marketing their abilities as well as enhancing them, and (whether for the sake of ambition or the desire for privacy) many also find it useful to learn to simulate some degree of surface conformism in order to mask their inherent unconventionality.

Personal relationships, particularly romantic ones, can be the INTJ's Achilles heel. While they are capable of caring deeply for others (usually a select few), and are willing to spend a great deal of time and effort on a relationship, the knowledge and self-confidence that make them so successful in other areas can suddenly abandon or mislead them in interpersonal situations.

This happens in part because many INTJs do not readily grasp the social rituals; for instance, they tend to have little patience and less understanding of such things as small talk and flirtation (which most types consider half the fun of a relationship).

To complicate matters, INTJs are usually extremely private people, and can often be naturally impassive as well, which makes them easy to misread and misunderstand. Perhaps the most fundamental problem, however, is that INTJs really want people to make sense. This sometimes results in a peculiar naivete', paralleling that of many Fs -- only instead of expecting inexhaustible affection and empathy from a romantic relationship, the INTJ will expect inexhaustible reasonability and directness.

Probably the strongest INTJ assets in the interpersonal area are their intuitive abilities and their willingness to "work at" a relationship. Although as Ts they do not always have the kind of natural empathy that many Fs do, the Intuitive function can often act as a good substitute by synthesizing the probable meanings behind such things as tone of voice, turn of phrase, and facial expression. This ability can then be honed and directed by consistent, repeated efforts to understand and support those they care about, and those relationships which ultimately do become established with an INTJ tend to be characterized by their robustness, stability, and good communications.

Now consider the highlighted areas not just in terms of being directly related to weightloss efforts, but also contributing factors to weight issues, especially those around interactiosn with other people/relationships, reluctance to "trust" a diet or weightloss program, etc.

Sorry for being so verbose, I "get into" this stuff. :)

I had problems when I took that test. A friend of mine suggested I take it,

a few weeks ago. When I tried to answer the questions, my answer was

"it depends on what kind of mood I am in" I found it hard to answer the questions because I feel differently on different days.

Maybe the link to your test is different. The one I took wasn't the exact

Myers Briggs test. I will try yours.

I am pretty sure that's the one I took last time and the answer is different this time.

To outsiders, INTJs may appear to project an aura of definiteness, of self-confidence. This self-confidence, sometimes mistaken for simple arrogance by the less decisive, is actually of a very specific rather than a general nature; its source lies in the specialized knowledge systems that most INTJs start building at an early age. When it comes to their own areas of expertise -- and INTJs can have several -- they will be able to tell you almost immediately whether or not they can help you, and if so, how. INTJs know what they know, and perhaps still more importantly, they know what they don't know.

INTJs are perfectionists, with a seemingly endless capacity for improving upon anything that takes their interest. What prevents them from becoming chronically bogged down in this pursuit of perfection is the pragmatism so characteristic of the type: INTJs apply (often ruthlessly) the criterion "Does it work?" to everything from their own research efforts to the prevailing social norms. This in turn produces an unusual independence of mind, freeing the INTJ from the constraints of authority, convention, or sentiment for its own sake.

INTJs are known as the "Systems Builders" of the types, perhaps in part because they possess the unusual trait combination of imagination and reliability. Whatever system an INTJ happens to be working on is for them the equivalent of a moral cause to an INFJ; both perfectionism and disregard for authority may come into play, as INTJs can be unsparing of both themselves and the others on the project. Anyone considered to be "slacking" including superiors, will lose their respect -- and will generally be made aware of this; INTJs have also been known to take it upon themselves to implement critical decisions without consulting their supervisors or co-workers. On the other hand, they do tend to be scrupulous and even-handed about recognizing the individual contributions that have gone into a project, and have a gift for seizing opportunities which others might not even notice.

In the broadest terms, what INTJs "do" tends to be what they "know". Typical INTJ career choices are in the sciences and engineering, but they can be found wherever a combination of intellect and incisiveness are required (e.g., law, some areas of academia). INTJs can rise to management positions when they are willing to invest time in marketing their abilities as well as enhancing them, and (whether for the sake of ambition or the desire for privacy) many also find it useful to learn to simulate some degree of surface conformism in order to mask their inherent unconventionality.

Personal relationships, particularly romantic ones, can be the INTJ's Achilles heel. While they are capable of caring deeply for others (usually a select few), and are willing to spend a great deal of time and effort on a relationship, the knowledge and self-confidence that make them so successful in other areas can suddenly abandon or mislead them in interpersonal situations.

This happens in part because many INTJs do not readily grasp the social rituals; for instance, they tend to have little patience and less understanding of such things as small talk and flirtation (which most types consider half the fun of a relationship).

To complicate matters, INTJs are usually extremely private people, and can often be naturally impassive as well, which makes them easy to misread and misunderstand. Perhaps the most fundamental problem, however, is that INTJs really want people to make sense. This sometimes results in a peculiar naivete', paralleling that of many Fs -- only instead of expecting inexhaustible affection and empathy from a romantic relationship, the INTJ will expect inexhaustible reasonability and directness.

Probably the strongest INTJ assets in the interpersonal area are their intuitive abilities and their willingness to "work at" a relationship. Although as Ts they do not always have the kind of natural empathy that many Fs do, the Intuitive function can often act as a good substitute by synthesizing the probable meanings behind such things as tone of voice, turn of phrase, and facial expression. This ability can then be honed and directed by consistent, repeated efforts to understand and support those they care about, and those relationships which ultimately do become established with an INTJ tend to be characterized by their robustness, stability, and good communications.

When I first read that, my first thought was, "that's me". And it is. Even on this site, I get accused of arrogance (or "blathering", as one member said). It isn't that I'm arrogant, it's just that I am extremely self-confident in what I know. If I don't think I know something, I don't speak up at all. I am actually known (in real life, not online) for being extremely withdrawn, quiet, and reserved. I've been accused of being cynical in the past, and I guess that in some respects, I am. I don't trust people easily, and I don't have a lot of sentiment (which some of you have probably figured out by reading my posts in some of the RnR threads). In some ways, I think it's a waste of time.

When I read the part about INTJs wondering if something "works", I really think that is part of why I am an Atheist. Religion doesn't "work" for me. With my reasoning, the only purpose it has is sentiment, which is something I am not big on.

When I am in groups, the lack of ability in small talk is really evident. To me, it serves no purpose. I tend to become very reserved because I have very few social skills.

Perhaps the most fundamental problem, however, is that INTJs really want people to make sense. This sometimes results in a peculiar naivete', paralleling that of many Fs -- only instead of expecting inexhaustible affection and empathy from a romantic relationship, the INTJ will expect inexhaustible reasonability and directness.
This makes a lot of sense. In fact, it's one of my big problems here on the site. I expect people and their ideas to make sense. If it doesn't make sense to me, I have a hard time understanding why people believe in it. The opposite is true, too. If something makes logical sense to me, I can't understand why people don't beleive in it. Again, that's mainly why I don't understand Christian fundamentalists. Their beliefs don't make logical sense to me, so I just don't understand why they believe in it. I understand that they get some sort of sentimental value from it, but it isn't logical to me.

It's really given me some problems when I teach, too. I have a hard time teaching some concepts to people, because I just don't understand why they DON'T understand and I don't know how to help them because that my understanding is just logical and intuitive to me.

ALl of it is very true for me, but three things in particular.

1 = having your confidence misunderstood for arrogance. In work settings I've been told that I intimidate other people into being quiet, because I'm the first to speak and don't really leave any room for doubt. People tend to perceive me one way or the other. Either I'm arrogant & self-righteous and they don't care for me or I intimidate them, or I'm just confident in my knowledge and they come to see me as a resource or someone to ask, "Can I run this by you" or "What am I not seeing?" Etc.

2 = Respect has to be earned, and it's one of the most important things in relationships with people. I'm never impressed or intimidated by a title. I'm not going to look up to a superior just because they're in a higher position. When they can show me they know their stuff, I will respect them. It doesn't take much to earn my respect, but if you don't have it, I don't even want to look at you.

#3 - Wanting people to make sense. I focus on what I need to know, and I have no patience for miscellanous/excess information. Unfortunately my husband is really bad about this. As I put it to him, I ask him what time it is and he tells me how to build a clock. I also have very little tolerance for ignorance... e.g. "I do not suffer fools lightly." I work in the field of adult education - behind the scenes. This is why it works for me. It's my role to engineer the performance interventions. I leave the people stuff to someone else. :)

Maybe the link to your test is different. The one I took wasn't the exact

Myers Briggs test. I will try yours.

The one I linked isn't the Meyers Briggs either. You won't find the MBTI online unless there's some kind of fee involved, because it requires certification to administer.

Things like mood, recent experiences, etc. can impact answers. Generally what you tell people is to answer based on what's generally true, and not what's situationally true. For example, I'm a fully expressed introvert (which, contrary to popular belief, doesn't mean I'm shy. I'm FAR from shy.) Now, if I've just gone to a party and had a good time, I might be pulled to answer a question about my comfort in public settings differently than I would normally answer (normally I would abhor them). However, if I consider it on a "general" basis, I would still be uncomfortable and answer differently. People have tendency to try and answer based on one or two specific (either significant or recent) memories, and you have to try and discount those and focus on - years worth of behavior.

We all move out of our primary types at times. This is often called "flexing." Even though I'm a fully expressed introvert, people (those who aren't familiar with the indicators) often think I'm an extrovert. This is usually because 1) they only have a colloquial understanding of what it means, or 2) I will often act like an extrovert in the workplace, even though I am not, because I learned early on that introverts are rarely rewarded.

When I am in groups, the lack of ability in small talk is really evident. To me, it serves no purpose. I tend to become very reserved because I have very few social skills.
I can interact well and often play the role of entertainer, but - not with people I don't have rapport with. When I am around people for the first time, or first few times, I'm quiet. People think this is being disinterested, or shy, or disengaged... but I'm just being observant. I'm watching the people, gauging their interactions, and "figuring them out." That's just how I do it.

Laurend, one way INTJs are different (as posted) are their relationships. When my husband meets someone, he sees them as a potential friend. They have to do something to change his mind, and it takes something very significant. Because of this he's easily manipulated and taken advantage of. As I put it, everyone he meets is an "A", and all they can do is work themselves down from there. In that way we're very complimentary, because I'm the exact opposite. When I meet someone, regardless of who they are, they start out around a C, C-, maybe even a D. From there, the can move up or down. And they move quickly. Once you're up you can move down, but it will take a lot. Once you're down, you're probably not going to be able to move back up. This is related to the lack of importance that interpersonal relationships have to me. I don't think twice about *poof* dropping a "friend" if they do something I don't like, or even if I'm just tired of them. And I never look back. I never regret it. My use for them is over, and I've moved on.

That's why, after DH and I crossed the one year mark of being together, I knew I would marry him. I could never pass the one year mark and still be interested in someone before. I was lucky to get past 6 months before I just didn't want anything to do with them anymore. I'm the perfect one night stand. :)

but I'm just being observant. I'm watching the people, gauging their interactions, and "figuring them out." That's just how I do it.
Exactly. I'm a listener. I firmly believe that you can tell exactly what kind of person someone is by listening to them and observing them for a while.
Laurend, one way INTJs are different (as posted) are their relationships. When my husband meets someone, he sees them as a potential friend. They have to do something to change his mind, and it takes something very significant. Because of this he's easily manipulated and taken advantage of. As I put it, everyone he meets is an "A", and all they can do is work themselves down from there. In that way we're very complimentary, because I'm the exact opposite. When I meet someone, regardless of who they are, they start out around a C, C-, maybe even a D. From there, the can move up or down. And they move quickly. Once you're up you can move down, but it will take a lot. Once you're down, you're probably not going to be able to move back up. This is related to the lack of importance that interpersonal relationships have to me. I don't think twice about *poof* dropping a "friend" if they do something I don't like, or even if I'm just tired of them. And I never look back. I never regret it. My use for them is over, and I've moved on.
Oh, yeah. If my first impression of someone (there's that listening again!) is bad, I generally don't ever come around to really "liking" them. I may pretend that I like them or act friendly around them, but really, I probably won't think much of them. And what you said about dropping friends really rings a bell. I lived with my roommate for four years, and was really quite close to her. She got married, I moved away to go to grad school, and it's now been about a year and a half since I've even emailed her. I tend to look at people more as "aquaintances" than "friends". I'll be friendly with people but I've never met someone that it would break my heart to never see again.

I am pretty close to you guys on type being just one letter off. INTP. So the logical requirements I totally agree with you on.

It is funny one of you mentioned the religion thing. I had a friend that was also INTP and were exact opposites on religion. It was funny if you step back and listened to both our arguments. We were both 100% we were right and weren't arguing to explain our point of view but arguing to convert the other. Of course you can't change the mind of an INTP on something they hold close. Sounds like that may be the case for the INTJ as well.

It is interesting in that I think the INTX personalities tend to state their opinions as fact and leave no room for discussion. Usually we have spent so much time on the logic of our position that other personality types find us difficult to persuade.

I have always believed that your core MBTI doesn't change unless you have a dimension that is close to the border line. However, I have heard that a drastic life event can make your MBTI change.

I was wondering if you think a dramtic weight loss like many of us here are pusing would trigger that change? Thoughts?

I have noticed personnally that since I had the surgery I have become less of an introvert and actually enjoy people some times. My score for an I is 30, so for me to enjoy company is a big deal.

I don't think it will change in the sense of a true personality shift. Someone can geratly love spending time with other people and be more willing to do it as they lose weight (I know I'm more willing now, especially when it involves people I would be meeting for the first time), but I believe that in their heart of hearts they will continue to be introverts. Think about introversion and what it really means. It isn't about enjoying crowds or being the center of attention (loosely, but not directly), it's about how you recharge your batteries, so to speak. I can facilitate a seminar and have a good time, and do a great job in front of the large audience. Even do the dinner afterwards. But that night, I need the me time alone in my hotel room to process what happened during the day and "rest up" from the effort.

good point. Maybe it is just more of the self confidence and being comfortable around strangers. You are right though, I still find I have got to have an hour or two alone at night to recharge or I just stay wiped out.