Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My surgery last November was life-changing. I started my research just over a year ago and was banded November 5th. I'm now eight months into my new life and I'm so happy with the choice I made. In choosing weight loss surgery I was really choosing myself. While I knew that getting a band would help me lose the extra weight I have battled for so many years, I wasn't really prepared for just how powerful I'd feel as a result of making this decision. I have shown up for myself and my healthy future. I chose me, and my self-esteem has skyrocketed.

This morning I was at 191. It feels great to be in "Onederland" and now I am looking forward to seeing the eighties soon. I always believed that the closer to goal the more difficult it is to lose weight. I'm thinking of throwing that idea out the window along with some others that I've already let go of -- for example I no longer believe in my body going into starvation mode. I also don't think anymore that I "should eat" if it's been a while but I'm not hungry. Let's face it, I have all this fat stored in case food supplies run short. Now that I'm banded, I'm having way less food and guess what? My body is releasing the fat. I also no longer believe that being a fifty-something female is a deterrent to weight loss. It's coming off fine.

When I set out to do this, I gave myself a year. Not a year to get to my goal (100 pounds off which would put me around 150, which I think might be the right place), but a year to change my lifestyle. It turns out this did not take nearly that long. I feel like my body understands what's going on and that the new behaviors have integrated now. Because we are all different, we each have to find out what is ideal for our particular body and that can take some time. I'm glad I was able to be patient as I did not reach the green zone until I had seven fills. These were small frequent fills -- and doctors really vary on their approaches -- but for me it took about 4-5 months to reach the green zone.

What has worked for me (and there are many, many approaches!):

I eat when I'm hungry but I don't eat if I'm not hungry. It turns out that because I spent so many years depriving myself of food, eating when hungry is the hardest for me of the two. Now I welcome a sign of appetite and I think carefully about what would be good for me to have. I am not on a diet.

I stop eating when I get the signal that I've had enough. I was a grazer and I have to be careful not to fall back into that habit. When I've finished, I've finished. I glance at the clock and mentally calculate 4-5 hours for the next time that I may need to check in with myself to see if I have an appetite.

I don't eat in the morning because I'm not hungry yet. Sometimes it's eleven o'clock or noon, but I have even waited until afternoon. My body tells me when it's time for food and I know that it's nearly always Protein I need first. I don't worry about grams of Protein per day or counting calories.

I enjoy a Protein shake once in a while as a treat but I don't rely on them because of the slider effect. I don't end up feeling sustained on a Protein Shake and I know I need real food well-chewed in order for my band to work.

I'm pretty sure exercise is the magic ingredient to success. I walk every day that I can, and I work out in our basement. If any one had told me a year ago that I would be doing everything I'm doing -- and enjoying it -- I would not have believed them.

That's it! Here's to being patient with ourselves and figuring out what works for us individually.

Awesome, Bandista! You're doing such a great job and you're always so supportive of others. I'm so happy for you!

Great post Bandista. And I get what you're saying. I too have found this weight loss journey not nearly as difficult as I imagined. Eighteen months and down 130+ lbs. I noticed today because I'm wearing a dress, that my thighs don't rub against each other anymore. I'm still working on my 'new normal' but I swear I haven't been this happy about my appearance and subsequent mobility and health improvements in more years than I care to remember.

How exciting! I love how happy you sound! I remember last November when we were both preparing to be banded...it's amazing how far we've come since then!

I actually thought I was in the green zone several months back so the doc stopped doing fills. I did ok and continued to lose for awhile but then things really slowed down for me a couple of months ago. I was still losing but it was at a reallllllyyyyy slooowwww pace and I was getting really frustrated. Started weighing and measuring everything again and realized that I was eating more than I should. I spoke with my surgeon about it and ended up getting another fill about a month ago. And at the next meal I KNEW I was in the right spot. Holy cow! THIS is what this thing is meant to do! And now I'm melting again :D

Anyway, congratulations on your success! I'm really genuinely happy for you!

@@Bandista, you're the best. You're such an encouragement to me. Congratulations on your well deserved success.

@ so glad you kept going! When I am feeling restrictive and "diet-y" that's when I know I need to see the surgeon.

Loved reading this post and strive to reach the place you are in your journey. Dieting never worked and it would be my ideal situation to not track my food or count calories. Thank you for the post and being such an inspiration. You always have great feedback for all of is and I really appreciate the time you take to comment for us. Great job!!!!

Bandista, you hit the nail right on the head ! Congratulations ! You're awesome !

You have been an inspiration to me and a band buddy for me since I came on this site. YOU ROCK, BANDISTA........ YOU ROCK!

Great analysis! Congratulations on your weight loss and being patient with yourself. I need to learn to be patient with myself. Tomorrow will be 6 weeks post op I was expecting more weight loss than 15 from surgery date. We are the hardest critics on ourselves. Again love your outlook........keep up the good work.

Rose

Thanks, every one! I could not do it without this site -- I don't think I would have figured it all out from the literature provided by my surgeon, etc. It was reading so many posts and asking questions of veterans that helped me understand what it is all about and then to figure out which of those things were a fit for me.

So proud for you! We had our surgeries about the same time. I am sadly, not successful yet. I think writing that out and admitting it will help me. I hope to be soon though! Good going, girl!

Great post Bandista...and Congrats on your success.

Awesome post Bandista!! So happy for you that journey has been such a huge success for you! You are such an inspiration to all of us and always so supportive in times of need! Congrats on your new life girl!!!

Congratulations!!!! Woohoo!!!!!